Page 37 of 208 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940414787137 ... LastLast

https://twitter.com/tomtaylormade/st...095158275?s=21

So Taylor had a chat about Superman apparently if someone wants to listen and summarize.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    https://twitter.com/tomtaylormade/st...095158275?s=21

So Taylor had a chat about Superman apparently if someone wants to listen and summarize.
    I listened to the segment yesterday, but there wasn't really anything noteworthy about it. The guy interviewing didn't know much about comics and it was only about 5 minutes long.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I listened to the segment yesterday, but there wasn't really anything noteworthy about it. The guy interviewing didn't know much about comics and it was only about 5 minutes long.
    Ah got it, thanks for listening. Honestly it’s pretty odd how little in the way of interviews have been put out about Taylor. PKJ got a full interview in Hollywood Reporter and was on podcasts talking about his plans, in contrast the media around Taylor (beyond his social media accounts) is pretty subdued.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I'd say it's either because DC wants to limit exposure and avoid Jon fans or we'll get more the closer we get to the book's release.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Ah got it, thanks for listening. Honestly it’s pretty odd how little in the way of interviews have been put out about Taylor. PKJ got a full interview in Hollywood Reporter and was on podcasts talking about his plans, in contrast the media around Taylor (beyond his social media accounts) is pretty subdued.
    Yep, though I imagine part of that is because Taylor is literally writing like several books right now.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oneveryfineday View Post
    “It’s a new Superman, so this is a Superman that was born a few years ago in the comics and was suddenly aged up in a volcano—it’s all very strange. Slightly convoluted back history, but for us it’s all about finding a new Superman for today, it’s about finding really what is Superman today, what should he represent. And it’s about finding that relevance and finding issues around today. It’s easy enough to punch an alien invasion, but it’s harder to punch government inaction on the climate crisis. For me it’s about finding his story and him finding his own way.”
    F%&k...this is really it, huh?

We're potentially standing in front of the door that leads to something new and genuinely interesting with Superman in a mainstream comic.

I'm not going to jump the gun here, but based off the few words in this quote, and the clear homage of Son of Kal-El #1, this will be the very first time mainstream Superman looks back at the Golden Age and updates it. Yes, that includes Morrison. Morrison modernized and placed it in the present day. That worked so well because quite a bit of what GA Superman had to deal with is still a thing today.

But from what we know of Jon's characterization to this quote, this is an honest-to-goodness attempt at an update. So instead of the self-assured champion of the oppressed who always knows what to do, Jon's a young man of basically unlimited power and privilege wrestling with what to do with all of that agency.

The line about Jon dealing with government inaction particularly hits just right because the implication there is what I've suspected to be the most meaningful story you can tell with the Jon idea: power and privilege should be used in service of those who do not have it.

And on top of all of this...he's freakin' 17. I love it.

_________

And I imagine this is what will hurl Jon into the center of the DCU conversation. I mean, it'll be a 17 year old Superman who is apparently noticeably more powerful than his dad or Kara on their best day trying to reshape the world for the better. I imagine this makes quite a few heroes nervous. Like I've said before, this reminds me of Immortal Hulk and Hickman's X-Men, and God bless it for doing so.

And now with issue 1030 of Action implying that Jon is in fact being looked at for Justice League membership, what do his potential teammates say?

This explains why Spectre's warning in IF.

But on top of all of that...Jon doesn't even want to be put in this position! He's conflicted, unsure, and still just a kid...but he's also specifically (over)qualified for this job. This is a really fascinating set up that I don't think we've seen before with Superman. And even that is commentary on those with power, privilege, and greater agency. As Damian said, "it's not up to you", and you have a duty to take responsibility for what's been given to you.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 04-28-2021 at 05:47 AM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    The line about Jon dealing with government inaction particularly hits just right because the implication there is what I've suspected to be the most meaningful story you can tell with the Jon idea: power and privilege should be used in service of those who do not have it.
    I'm not sure why this can't be done with Clark?

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    People freaked out when Morrison and Pak did do it with Clark. It sucks but I do understand why DC might be thinking Jon is an easier option for stuff like that.

Because with Jon the idea is the whole point. As Damian said, "unlike him[Clark], you were literally born to do this." That's a powerful statement to juxtapose next to Clark because Superman as a concept wasn't created yet. He made it up, and then made it all up as he went along. Now there's a standard and expectation set, and a "throne" of implied privilege, responsibility, and literal inherited power created. Privilege in the modern world is something inherited, and then perpetuated culturally and systemically.

You need to be the son of the most famous and powerful man in the universe for this idea to hit as hard as it can, and be as relevant as it can be.

Dare I say...it's Taylor-made for Jon
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Clark, who is also an investigative journalist and used to tackle such issues.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Dare I say...it's Taylor-made for Jon
    Alright, that was worthy. *claps enthusiastically*
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

New DC Connect is out for May, shows some Jon art and maybe indicates that Jon is getting his future state suit.

https://www.lunardistribution.com/fi...connect_12.pdf
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Outside of my issues with Taylor as a creator, Timms was my one big point of worry. I just felt like potentially wouldn't bring the gravity required for this monumental shift...then I saw that image of the Earth reflected in his eyes as he sits quietly-- almost childlike-- on a beautifully rendered moon and I wondered to myself how I could've been so damn wrong. This book is going to have that angular and youthful energy that Timms always brings, but it'll also have the capacity for these quite introspective moments. Damn fine work. Just like with Taylor's quote from above, I'm seeing the making of something truly special with a lot of care and thought put behind it.

Jon's suit was the other thing I was worried about. Relatively speaking it was a smaller worry than the other two, but a worry regardless. Now seeing what seems to a a mix of his Superman of Metropolis and Superman/Wonder Woman suits, I'm once again put at ease. That's a pretty strong yet simple design with just enough texture to it to not leave it flat.

I do wonder about the belt though. It's seemingly 'spotlighted' here, but over in SOM it had no significance.

Thinking back to how much PKJ is setting up for Jon in Taylor's run, and how one of the things he keeps stressing is that not only is Jon powerful, but he'll apparently be growing more powerful overtime (remember he's only 17!), I'm wondering if this may be a new take on the "Superman always holds back". Maybe that belt acts as a power regulator that he can release in stages?

Remember, according to PKJ Jon's more outgoing nature has lead him to experiment with his powers (in one case it's apparently his heat vision), so what if as he's gotten stronger he's also been thinking of ways to limit his power if need be? Character wise this works really well because Jon's so unsure of himself as Superman, so limiting his greater power may be a way of him minimizing his margin for error?

Incredible Member

That preview looks straight out of the Lion King, with Mufasa/Clark telling Simba/Jon of the title he'll inherit and the responsibility that comes with it. Don't particularly like making more "royal family" connections with Superman's legacy, but the parallels do fit with the story DC wants to tell.

Also, the scar is back. Signalling Jon's physical vulnerability in comparison to his father and aunt, I guess, and hopefully a sign of Taylor not ignoring his rather troubled years in Earth-3. Wonder if we'll ever know how he got it. Or why it keeps disappearing. We won't, of course we won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    Also, the scar is back. Signalling Jon's physical vulnerability in comparison to his father and aunt, I guess, and hopefully a sign of Taylor not ignoring his rather troubled years in Earth-3. Wonder if we'll ever know how he got it. Or why it keeps disappearing. We won't, of course we won't.
    I don't think so. Look at Clark's face/cheek. That seems to just be how Timms draws a pronounced jawline and jaw muscles.

Feels like the scar was scrapped as an idea when they decided that Jon would be far more powerful than his dad or Kara going forward.