Page 47 of 208 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950515797147 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

No matter how good your relationship with your son is, once he's a teenager, he's not going to let his dad hold his hand, especially in a crowd. It's Jon at 10. Frankly, even at that age, the hand holding is a stretch.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I view the whole thing-- intentional or not-- as sort of a surreal wish on Clark's part. He wishes he could have a moment like that with his son again, but can't.

Otherwise, it's just a really cute cover in its own right.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Variant covers are never really representative of anything accurate. It would be a great Superboy solo variant cover, though.

Yeah, costume aside, it is quite clearly real Jon on that cover. By no stretch of the imagination would that be a teenager lol

BANNED

He can be a kid or a teen with stunted growth

Those seem to be the options we are being left with

Either way, it doesn't really matter. It's not like a variant cover really means anything. It's just a cute pic and another reminder of what we could have still had.

Astonishing Member

Kid Jon...teen Jon...still Jon.

Fantastic Member oneveryfineday's Avatar

The release date’s been pushed two weeks to July 27.

Ugh. Not pleased with the delays.

Where was that announced?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Where was that announced?
    Superman: Son of Kal-El https://subscriptions.dccomics.com/ipd/1413

Just saw that the Action Comics annual was pushed to July 6 as well instead of coming out on June 29. https://www.comixology.com/Action-Co...N1bHRzU2xpZGVy

:/
    Last edited by oneveryfineday; 06-17-2021 at 03:28 PM.

"This is your planet, Jon. This is 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 place."
    Superman: Son of Kal-El. July 27.

https://twitter.com/TomTaylorMade/st...379762176?s=20

I genuinely feel bad boycotting a book drawn by John Timms. I kept buying YJ after Gleason solely because Timms was on art.

Alright it's up on Comixology under July 27th now, preorder and subscribe if you so choose, or if you are choosing not to read the book....just keep doing you and have a good day.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I'm neutral to Teen Jon. I don't hate him but I wasn't impressed with him in Legion or Future State. Here's hoping Taylor wins me over.

Bumping this thread

So for the bits I liked from Taylor’s interview:

-“It’s important to remember he’s not just the son of Clark, he’s the son of Lois Lane, one of the greatest champions of truth on the planet. Her fire and sense of justice is as much a part of Jon as anything he gets from his father. When my wife and I met, she was actually a crime reporter, so I don’t have to look far beyond her, or my own mother’s long history of activism and protecting others, to see Lois Lanes around me.”

I love that he didn’t forget Lois, and it’s cool Taylor used to be an acrobat and his wife is a crime reporter. What a great fit to be the writer of Nightwing and Superman. He also talks how Margot Kidder was arrested for her activism, and it would be great to see Jon in a similar situation.

-“It’s the question that will hang over the series. If you’re one of the most powerful people on the planet, how far do you take that? What do you accept before stepping in?…But still, that question of how to be a hero today will be there. It’s easy enough to punch a giant, rampaging gorilla. It’s harder to punch social inequity and the climate crisis.”

I was worried that DC would want to play this book safe since making Jon Superman is already risky enough, but I’m glad that this book has a clear worldview and wants to plant itself firmly in political discussion.

-“Without giving too much away, Jon’s heart is going to see him stand up to something the rest of the world is willing to ignore. He is going to make powerful people very angry. And his world will be threatened.”

As vague as it is, this is probably the most intriguing hint of the series. Can’t remember the exact quote, but I think PKJ mentioned before about how Jon would change the power structure of the DCU. It’s interesting that Clark and Bruce can’t *really* change the status quo of their books—not a knock on them because Status Quo Is God—but on the flip side we have Taylor writing the legacies who’ll instead effect the change their elders couldn’t do. There’s a lot of real world parallels to that, and I like that it’s about giving a voice to the younger generation.

-Taylor saying that he’s in constant contact with Williamson and Williamson saying they have weekly meetings makes me think that there’ll be another in-continuity Super Sons book. Whether it’s an ongoing or maxi series, I love the Super Sons, and I’d rather they have a separate book so Jon’s book can remain focused on him.

-Aside from the page previews of Jon’s birth, there’s this from the banner on the website

Which parallels this:

Jon being able to see past the monster and see grief and fear repeats the same theme from Infinite Frontier #0, which is one of my favorite bits of characterization for him. Though I found it funny that we returned to the Convergence origin in IF #0 just to go back to the Reborn origin again. I understand—it’s simpler and more adaptable, even though I like the thematic parallel of Jon being the last son of a doomed universe.

-Someone who’s read an early copy says that the book clearly shows how Jon is different from his father, so that’s really great to hear.

https://twitter.com/TheBigBang_/stat...851365894?s=20