Page 5 of 208 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Who The Shock? View Post
    So I guess 5G didn't get scrapped after all. How unfortunate. For the life of me I can't understand DC's obsession with replacing Clark with Jon.

Now, are they going to do the same thing with Wonder Woman, Batman, etc?
    Clark still is Superman in Action Comics.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

So I guess 5G didn't get scrapped after all. How unfortunate. For the life of me I can't understand DC's obsession with replacing Clark with Jon.

It's called lazy writing and bankrupted creativity -

"Hey, we can't do this stuff with Superman the fans will be pissed. I know, let's create a mini-Sups we can experiment with all we like. But to make sure the fans won't get too upset we'll make the mini-Sups the son of Big Sups and as close to being him as possible, you know a clone in all but name who cares about Lois she doesn't count. Yay, you are a genius. I know I am."

Edit -

Last edited by Celgress; 04-21-2021 at 09:00 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

It's not replacements, they're acting at the same time and it's probably not even permanent, unless Jon will show good sales. It's not even like Dick replacing Bruce, or Wally replacing Barry.
    Not sure about Diana, but it doesn't seem like Jace is getting one of the Bruce's books.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

DiDio still influencing DC's direction after years he's gone. I can hear him laughing right now

Actually, that meme I posted perfectly encapsulates DC/Warner's overall business strategy in a nutshell not just in regards to Mini-Sups.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Ah, still not interesting. Oh, that sounds so edgy I'm impressed. You do remember Clark killed those Kryptonians with Kryptonite once so he's done bad **** when he was younger too.
    Not edgy,just being like the monkey king(do what i want) or even goldenage superman.Superman the character's motive changed from " I am here to do the right thing" to "i am here to inspire as an example"..And right after he killed.he went on a whole trip for penance and never vowed to do it again.I guess,that was genuine guilt.So i will let that pass.Also,I wouldn't call putting down jackasses like the joker or even zod as bad if it's in self defence."Killing is always bad",reasoning is cool.But,then you need to realise we do bad stuff to live all the time.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 04-21-2021 at 09:10 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Not edgy,just being like the monkey king or even goldenage superman.Superman the character's motive changed from " I am here to do the right thing" to "i am here to inspire as an example"..And right after he killed.he went on a whole trip for penance and never vowed to do it again.I guess,that was genuine guilt.So i will let that pass.Also,I wouldn't call putting down jackasses like the joker or even zod as bad if it's in self defence."Killing is always bad",reasoning is cool.But,then you need to realise we do bad stuff to live all the time.
    I'm well aware of what happened and so are those at DC. No doubt Mini-Sups will go on a similar journey once his edgy behavior crosses the line. He's Sups 2.0 after all now with 2X the edge but otherwise identical.

You know they say failure is the greatest teacher unless you work for DC. They constantly fail yet seemingly never learn anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    DiDio still influencing DC's direction after years he's gone. I can hear him laughing right now
    Insane that Didio of all people was the one who was pushing for permanent legacy replacements for the Trinity. I still can’t believe it.

Jace might get a “The Next Batman” book that will let him be co-Batman with Bruce, but there’s no chance in hell Bruce ever gets replaced, dude has freaking 23 books about him or adjacent members of his family. I think with Yara they’ll keep her just as Wonder Girl for now.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Fantastic Member

You guys are all so very dramatic. This is not end of the world. Just an additional series to Superman line. It might survive for few years but eventually Clark Kent will be back to the center. A bit of experiment would not hurt anyone.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    I really prefer this costume
    I miss this costume.

Tom Taylor can be a bit basic as a writer and I’ve never been the biggest Jon fan (he was bland kid character #5347 and he killed a cat, an unforgivable sin that I don’t count against the character but instead Tomasi and Gleason), but I’ve enjoyed him as a young adult. There is a part of me that wishes this was a book called “Son of Superman” while the “Superman” title kept going under say Ram V or Dan Watters though.

I’ll give this a shot, especially since I have some misgivings about PKJ’s writing of Superman (based off of stuff from The Last God and his Empyre Captain America mini). Plus, Taylor hinted that there could be a crossover between this book and Nightwing, which is fitting since Clark inspired Dick to take up the Nightwing identity. It’d be cool to see Dick step up and help Jon find his way.

Now, DC just has to stop putting Eltaeb on near every Superman book, his coloring is bland and someone like Marcelo Maiolo or Adriano Lucas would be better fits (also Lucas would help the titles keep visual continuity with each other, since I assume there will be plenty of crossover between the books).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by madmodpoetgod View Post
    You guys are all so very dramatic. This is not end of the world. Just an additional series to Superman line. It might survive for few years but eventually Clark Kent will be back to the center. A bit of experiment would not hurt anyone.
    From the sound of things, it's not an additional series. It's a redirection of an existing book, from Clark to Jon.

I can't win! I want this to fail epically do away with the Mediocrity of Bendis once and for all.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    The choice of Taylor as the author is not surprising. He can be treated differently here, he is a very generic and fanservice writer, but most of the mainstream fanbase loves his comics and there was a specific fan request for him to write ongoing Superman. He also has experience with the adult Jon, who was rated positively.
    The decision to give Jon an entire ongoing of Superman is risky in itself, especially given how Jon's age-up is perceived. So it makes sense that a fan-favorite writer got this ongoing. They want people to like it.
    This. Tacking Taylor on it, plus he already said that Damian's gonna make an appearance, is pretty much the only thing that can make me wanna buy a grown-up Jon book

Like I'm not saying I'm actually gonna buy it, but it's the closest thing they can do to tempt me

That and tackling his trauma, but that one I don't trust DC to handle. So honestly them going the opposite way and just do a blatant fanservice is better because I know they can do a blatant fanservice XD