Page 51 of 208 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Writers seem to get to pick what they like from Future State and 5G.
    And that's why we're getting another anti-Crisis (because an actual Crisis is a dirty word) in not too long.
    Last edited by garazza; 07-17-2021 at 01:04 PM.

Astonishing Member

Just another deboot.

Future State was always advertised as just a “potential” future, not set in stone. Some of the events in it’s timeline are coming to pass, but the doesn’t mean everything will end up aligning with what we were shown in FS.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Yeah, most certianly Future State isn't a 1-to-1 road map, but aspects of it are making their way in for sure.

For one, the fact that Jon deals with the climate crisis in his early years of Superman is directly from Superman/Wonder Woman issue 2. But on the flip side, PKJ has said that Taylor's Jon wouldn't put the city in a bottle, and it's very clear that Jon is far more powerful than his Superman of Metropolis counterpart (though, seems to be in line with his SM/WW version?).

Writers seem to get to pick what they like from Future State and 5G.
    A profound missed opportunity if you ask me.hopefully,that isn't the case and jon isn't skyfather....what is the point of having jon be superman if he going to be just repeat of clark?I guess,the climate change thing is different..overall though,i am getting more interested in clark and the authority.At this rate,i do not think this Experiment would work if they are doing safe stuff.oh!well,they might change him back to a kid put him with damian..Superman of metropolis was a better book.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Incredible Member

Yep. I had my problems with Superman of Metropolis, but it definitely had the more distinctive Jon compared to SM/WW's All Star Superman except atheist.

BANNED

Outside of dceased, future state is the only successful iteration of teen Jon

But regardless of what they will do, they are working with the most reviled iteration of a character

Nothing is going to save this experiment regardless
    Last edited by kryptonian; 07-18-2021 at 12:40 AM.

Fantastic Member oneveryfineday's Avatar

Figured I should re-read some of FS including the backups which I skipped before, but it turns out there’s a wealth of revealing world-building here. Andrej Trojan stood out to me the most so most of the notes are on him:

- Trojan wants to get rid of human suffering through eliminating organic life and evolving them technologically. He’s cast aside his flesh body for cyborg vessels, and even calls himself The Transcendent Man at one point. His ego reminds me of Lex, but with an aggressively post-humanist philosophy. He hates people and would make them slaves of Brainiac.

- Trojan lives up to his name, and can wear a skin suit to appear like other people such as Apollo. His body can also self-destruct. It’s possible that Trojan is the cyborg who destroys the Kent farm. Jon would be able to see through Trojan’s facade in a heartbeat, but what about the unsuspecting kindly Kents?

- Back to FS, Trojan manufactures nirodhium from the slags of Warworld using a space-time collider. Nirodhium affects Superman negatively but is also the key to upgrading human life, with hints it has a variety of other properties as well. This could be a way to connect the Warworld and Metropolis stories together in an Action/SoKE crossover that PKJ mentioned would happen at some point.

- Now that I think about it, the radiation from the breach in The Golden Age appears to have the same properties as nirodhium—deadly to pure Kryptonians, but doesn’t affect half-Kryptonians.

- Metropolis University has a cybernetics lab funded by Trojan

- Mary Capshaw or “Honest Mary” is a terrorist whose goal is to free humanity and have them face an honest world. Her whole schtick is about “truth” and “honesty”. She sent a bomb to MU’s Trojan-funded Cybernetics Lab, which sounds similar the solicits of SoKE #2 where Jon goes to college but a deadly attack forces him out of the shadows. My theory is that she’s a radical member of the Truth organization.

- She blew up the Daily Planet in FS as well. That doesn’t mean it’ll happen in main continuity, but between this and the Kent farm and the secret identity, blowing up sacred Superman canon could lead to a very interesting SoKE run indeed. That makes me really excited.

Would love to know other people’s thoughts on this. I’ll add more when I read the other FS Superman books.

BANNED

Damn

They are really not endearing their book to Superman fans are they?

This run is begging to be decanonized by a reactionary writer with tunnel vision to get rid of the marriage and erase Jon
    Last edited by kryptonian; 07-18-2021 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oneveryfineday View Post
    Figured I should re-read some of FS including the backups which I skipped before, but it turns out there’s a wealth of revealing world-building here. Andrej Trojan stood out to me the most so most of the notes are on him:

- Trojan wants to get rid of human suffering through eliminating organic life and evolving them technologically. He’s cast aside his flesh body for cyborg vessels, and even calls himself The Transcendent Man at one point. His ego reminds me of Lex, but with an aggressively post-humanist philosophy. He hates people and would make them slaves of Brainiac.

- Trojan lives up to his name, and can wear a skin suit to appear like other people such as Apollo. His body can also self-destruct. It’s possible that Trojan is the cyborg who destroys the Kent farm. Jon would be able to see through Trojan’s facade in a heartbeat, but what about the unsuspecting kindly Kents?

- Back to FS, Trojan manufactures nirodhium from the slags of Warworld using a space-time collider. Nirodhium affects Superman negatively but is also the key to upgrading human life, with hints it has a variety of other properties as well. This could be a way to connect the Warworld and Metropolis stories together in an Action/SoKE crossover that PKJ mentioned would happen at some point.

- Now that I think about it, the radiation from the breach in The Golden Age appears to have the same properties as nirodhium—deadly to pure Kryptonians, but doesn’t affect half-Kryptonians.

- Mary Capshaw or “Honest Mary” is a terrorist whose goal is to free humanity and have them face an honest world. Her whole schtick is about “truth” and “honesty”. She sent a bomb to MU’s Trojan-funded Cybernetics Lab, which sounds similar the solicits of SoKE #2 where Jon goes to college but a deadly attack forces him out of the shadows. My theory is that she’s a radical member of the Truth organization.

- She blew up the Daily Planet in FS as well. That doesn’t mean it’ll happen in main continuity, but between this and the Kent farm and the secret identity, blowing up sacred Superman canon could lead to a very interesting SoKE run indeed. That makes me really excited.

Would love to know other people’s thoughts on this. I’ll add more when I read the other FS Superman books.
    Good summary of all the potential characters that might have a role to play. Trojan definitely did feel like a potential “Lex” for Jon and I also would be surprised if Honest Mary didn’t have some ties to the Truth organization. Trojan attacking the Kent farm would be a great way to establish a personal enmity between him and Jon. Mary being a sort of “evil Lois Lane” would also be a good foe for Jon, particularly with Lois being set up to be an important supporting cast member of this run.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

BANNED

Trojan seems like an interesting character

A sick fucked up version of Luthor and ultra-Humanite rolled into one

And with a unique philosophy to both as a Transhumanist

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oneveryfineday View Post

Didn't he have something to do with brain cells as well?he used them to enslave humanity in metropolis because his idea of transcendence is being a slave to machine(goldenage superman villain if ever saw one and doesn't care for people)..he even took charge of the city and drove lex off..
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 07-18-2021 at 05:08 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

I forgot he was the one who usurped Lex in Metropolis (wonder where Lex went? Is that how he ended up on Lexor?) yeah that pretty neatly established him as the new “Lex” to contrast with Jon.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I forgot he was the one who usurped Lex in Metropolis (wonder where Lex went? Is that how he ended up on Lexor?) yeah that pretty neatly established him as the new “Lex” to contrast with Jon.
    I guess it'd be a mixture of Trojan being that up and comer with brutal new ideas while Lex got stuck in his ways, and Clark leaving, letting Lex feeling like he won't squabble with the child of his foe, it'd be degrading !

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Well right now Lex is on Multiverse duties having a personal face off with Mister Terrific about who’s smarter.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonian View Post
    Outside of dceased, future state is the only successful iteration of teen Jon

But regardless of what they will do, they are working with the most reviled iteration of a character

Nothing is going to save this experiment regardless
    To be fair, Taylor wrote the most successful version of teen Jon (deceased) and all other writers to my knowledge who have tried have not been the greatest. Hoping this run fleshes out and gives adult Jon some depth. I think its got some potential. Definitely feel like Taylor is saying all the right things interview wise. At the very least it`ll be something different. I think a lot of what makes this version of the character not appealing to some is Bendis`s writing so hopefully this run can somewhat justify the aging of Jon. Worst case scenario, it cannot get much worse than Bendis.