Page 54 of 208 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864104154 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Iclifton View Post
    Doubt it. Look at Jason Todd.

Chris no where near close to Jons popularity or importance. Just like Damien will never be permanently gone.

Even if that were the case, regardless of Taylors run that would be a possibility. Its not his job to worry about that, its his to deliver a good comic. Based on what's been shown so far, he looks like he is on track to do so.
    This right here Jason was hated when he died! Like the Fans voted to kill him & the writers still brought him back & now he's popping the only irrelevant Robin is Tim no one gives AF about him outside of the imaginary never gonna happen ship with Kon. The same way someone saw potential in bringing Jason back they'd do the same with Jon.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iclifton View Post
    Doubt it. Look at Jason Todd.

Chris no where near close to Jons popularity or importance. Just like Damien will never be permanently gone.

Even if that were the case, regardless of Taylors run that would be a possibility. Its not his job to worry about that, its his to deliver a good comic. Based on what's been shown so far, he looks like he is on track to do so.
    Jason Todd is hilarious...because an entire generation of writers had to leave the company before they brought him back because he was that LOATHED

And when he came back...he became a villain

So Jason is such a appropriate comparison

Because Jason was almost as hated as teen Jon, and unlike the Batman brand...I don’t think writers would care enough to bring Jon back even 20 years later

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonian View Post
    Jason Todd is hilarious...because an entire generation of writers had to leave the company before they brought him back because he was that LOATHED

Because Jason was almost as hated as teen Jon, and unlike the Batman brand...I don’t think writers would care enough to bring Jon back even 20 years later
    Villain Jon would be so juicy that would have been more interesting then the year of Blah that was Bendis ill even take that at this point I am full on board for Jon being the new Jason!

No writer in DC comics actually likes Jon as a concept, none that would be in a position to force a resurrection, this would be a golden opportunity to keep him dead
    How do you know this?
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Incredible Member

Is Jason a villain now? Far from it.

Difference is, Jon as a character is not loathed. The stories with him as teenager are, but there have been very few so far. Mostly written by Bendis who was never going to deliver a good story. This is the first time we see grown Jon with a writer who may actually deliver.

Jason as a character was hated top to bottom from the beginning and still made it back. Being the blood son of Superman, Jon will never be permanently erased.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    How do you know this?
    Their uncle works at Nintendo
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

BANNED

How do you know this?
    Experience

Most of the people who disliked and hated on the marriage are still working for the company, many of them having public statements that Superman became boring when he was married on record

The only anti-marriage Superman writer that retracted those statements is grant Morrison

Tom Taylor will write his second book with Jon as Superman, so by that alone makes your statement incorrect.
    Maybe people rather have him as a child, but i doubt they hate him.

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Experience

Most of the people who disliked and hated on the marriage are still working for the company, many of them having public statements that Superman became boring when he was married on record

The only anti-marriage Superman writer that retracted those statements is grant Morrison
    I think Tom Taylor put it the best when he recently said "I don't own Barbra Gordon". They don't own Clark, Lois, or Jon. They answer to editors, and those editors answer to publishers, and those publishers answer to WB, and WB is invested enough in not just the idea of a married Clark Kent, but also a married Clark Kent with a kid(s) that they made a whole TV show out of it. And that TV show is currently the most well received CW DC show out-- on top of being the most well received Superman related media out.

You actually can't find a single Clark Kent in current or upcoming media anymore. In Young Justice he's married and they have Jon, and even in the upcoming Superman cartoon where he's younger and single...it's marketed as a romance cartoon specifically about how Lois and Clark get together.

Like Taylor said, "I don't own Barbra Gordon".
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

At the time, the Batman writer loathed the very concept of Robin (Jason, Tim, or even Dick, it didn't matter), and even suggested Jason be killed by freakin' AIDS.

For the vote; it was actually pretty close, and even then, a theory that's been around since then, was that some guy set up a system to vote to kill Jason automatically. Something like hundreds of votes, which in the end, edged out saving Jason.

As for Jason being a villain; depends on how you view it. UTRH brought up some very interesting parts, like the criminals that don't simply fear Batman, and Batman claiming to be one kill away from becoming a mass killer himself. Or that Jason, by crippling Black Mask's criminal empire and taking over crime itself, actually lowered the rate of crime considerably.

Battle for the Cowl and a lot of the Morrison stuff leading up to New52? Yeah, for as much good stuff that Morrison can write, they really did Jason a disservice.

Back to Jon.
    I'm still of the opinion the poor kid is trapped in the Daycare from Hell on Earth 3, reality reset or no. And being forced to eat applesauce with mustard flavoring, among other things.

Incredible Member

I don't think there's any chance of Jon being killed off "permanently". Not when Superman & Lois is built entirely on the premise of Superman as a father. They couldn't even walk back the marriage before having to nuke everything they had done and bring it back 5 years later. They're not going to walk back the biological son of Superman and Lois Lane. Chris was an special case in that he was always built to last exactly one (1) arc, and even then they did introduce Lor-Zod in Rebirth. I may have absolutely hated that move and will neve forgive anyone involved for it, but hey, I'm sure in DC's eyes this was fanservice. It even makes the idea that DC doesn't like Jon Kent even more bullshit, because you just know they did so it's impossible Chris could ever threaten Jon's position as the golden child.

I do think it's currently likely they'll just de-age Jon if Taylor's run is unsuccessful. All bets are off if this is somehow a hit, though. They did bring their most beloved current writer to make it as popular as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    I don't think there's any chance of Jon being killed off "permanently". Not when Superman & Lois is built entirely on the premise of Superman as a father. They couldn't even walk back the marriage before having to nuke everything they had done and bring it back 5 years later. They're not going to walk back the biological son of Superman and Lois Lane. Chris was an special case in that he was always built to last exactly one (1) arc, and even then they did introduce Lor-Zod in Rebirth. I may have absolutely hated that move and will neve forgive anyone involved for it, but hey, I'm sure in DC's eyes this was fanservice. It even makes the idea that DC doesn't like Jon Kent even more bullshit, because you just know they did so it's impossible Chris could ever threaten Jon's position as the golden child.

I do think it's currently likely they'll just de-age Jon if Taylor's run is unsuccessful. All bets are off if this is somehow a hit, though. They did bring their most beloved current writer to make it as popular as possible.
    Interesting that they didn't put him on Action Comics too.

Incredible Member

Interesting that they didn't put him on Action Comics too.
    They didn't put Jon in Action Comics because they'd be stupid to get rid of Clark when the character has loyal fans who keep buying.

They didn't put Tom Taylor in it for... well, maybe they didn't want to take spotlight away from Jon, maybe they didn't think Tom was the right choice for the cosmic direction they wanted for Clark.

They didn't put Jon in Action Comics because they'd be stupid to get rid of Clark when the character has loyal fans who keep buying.

They didn't put Tom Taylor in it for... well, maybe they didn't want to take spotlight away from Jon, maybe they didn't think Tom was the right choice for the cosmic direction they wanted for Clark.
    I was talking about Tom Taylor alone, not Jon.

It even makes the idea that DC doesn't like Jon Kent even more bullshit, because you just know they did so it's impossible Chris could ever threaten Jon's position as the golden child.
    DC "hates" Jon so much that they put off Conner returning into continuity specifically so Jon could have full room to stretch his legs as both a half Kryptonian and Superboy. DC's hate for the character continued when after Conner was brought back and named co Superboy, and both Bendis and one other writer both pitched Conner Kent solo minis DC said no because they didn't want anything even remotely clashing with Jon.

More often than not DC's shown to bend over backwards to make sure Jon isn't distressed. It's a similar situation to Damian, but it's kind of more of a big deal because this is Clark with a kid rather than Bruce with a Robin who happens to be his bio son. Jon's even the only 5G/next gen character to not only get his own book-- but inherit said book from one of DC's big three. Jace and Yara can't say that. Jackson can't even get an ongoing (though that's actually better than Arthur himself)

DC plays Jon close to the vest in a way that I've only seen with there mainstays like Bruce, Clark, and Dick.

I even have a long standing theory on why the Jon in Superman and Lois doesn't have powers yet is also shown to be almost ludicrously good and understanding and will apparently stay that way with no chance of ever breaking bad for even a moment like you'd expect from this sort of story. It all comes down to the possibility that they're so precious with how Jon comes off, that the show had to create Jordan to accommodate the tougher ideas they wanted to tackle with Superman's son. And this wouldn't be the first time the writers of that show had to shuffle around a character for off screen reasons (John Henry apparently was supposed to actually be alt Lex.)

How close they keep him to the vest will have its ups and down like has with other characters of that level of status to DC, but similar to then, he's likely always going to have a place at the table in a way that other characters just won't.