Page 60 of 208 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470110160 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    Funnily enough, this is the second time he brings that particular bit of backstory in an interview about this book, so I do think that'll get a mention in the actual book at some point.
    At some point if it’s relevant is pretty much exactly what Taylor says. But I think the first arc will stay clear of all that because the intent is to come in with as little prior knowledge of Jon as possible.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Fantastic Member oneveryfineday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Tomorrow

This image of the S-shield superimposed over the world while Superman looks down on it (similar to the SoKE #2 cover with Metropolis) could easily be concept art for Injustice. We know Jon will ultimately be a force of positive change, but how far will he go?

Great interviews from Taylor. I like a Superman that’s passionate and reckless and makes mistakes. I’m glad Taylor isn’t writing Jon as a Clark copy like in DCeased and instead capitalizing on all the aspects that would differentiate Jon i.e. the youth, celebrity status, feelings of imposter syndrome, questioning of the previous generation. It’s even better that Taylor takes inspiration from his son to get Jon’s voice right, because not everyone can convincingly write teenage characters. I think Clark is cast (maybe a little unfairly) as the upholder of the status quo even though a similar dynamic was explored in Morrison’s Blackstars. Maybe this Clark feels it’s not up to him to decide humanity’s course, and in Injustice we see do it’s Lara Kent who steps forward to appeal to the UN specifically because she is half-human.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    My gut reaction to this was "NOOOOOOOOO", but then I thought for a moment: what history professor doesn't look like an actual super villain for failing Superman on a midterm because he was late to class after fighting a giant gorilla? How do you do the drama of that with Jon as public?
    Remember how in FS War of Worlds there were people preaching from Clark’s random homework assignments like they were scripture? Lol

Some more preview pages from the interview!

Seems like Damian sets Jon up with a new identity which then gets blown by The Truth in issue #2. Damian won’t be happy haha.

I like how the cape’s tattered physical state here reflects Jon’s inner uncertainty and how he doesn’t feel quite whole yet.
    Last edited by oneveryfineday; 07-26-2021 at 03:58 PM.

I like how Timms draws Damian, like an actual teenager and not someone cursed to forever be short
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I read their first two speech bubbles and was immediately turned off. Like, I want to turn to Taylor and just say "Shut up." For someone claiming to like the Super Sons, he sure doesn't get why people liked the Super Sons.

And personally speaking, I could not give less of a **** about Jon's identity issues. What drew me to him was that despite his young age he was quite self-actualized. This just reeks of a mandate.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

When were you all going to tell me John Timms was this good????
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Some more new quotes:

https://www.cbr.com/tom-taylor-super...-el-interview/

"What was great was seeing John Timms on that book and seeing where he could take him visually but also I was really lucky because I was able to take on an older version of Jon in DCeased, I was able to write an older Jon for a long time and find his voice and base it on the voice from Super Sons," Taylor reflected. "My own son is big fan of Super Sons and, before I started DCeased, he said I had to put them in there and gave me all the trades. Learning that voice and seeing how they interact and working out what he sounds like as an adult, I had almost already done that work on DCeased; even though it's a different universe, it's still very much Jon."

In having Jon facing real-world concerns, Taylor turned to the early issues of Action Comics to reflect how Superman faces contemporary issues within a modern lens. While Jon knows he needs to address these issues with caution, he also approaches these concerns with more raw emotion and a wide-eyed passion than his father possessed. Outside of Damian, Jon doesn't have many friends and allies around his approximate age on the planet during this timeline, with the Legion of Super-Heroes still in the 31st century. This led Taylor to build a new supporting cast; although, he confirmed that he plans to keep Jon's friendship with Damian prominently along with giving Lois Lane more a presence. CBR asked how it was for Taylor to lean into the more aspirational and inspirational aspects of Superman after tackling darker directions for the character in his previous, alternate universe work.

"It's what I love. There are people who are Batman people and there are people are Superman people and I am a Superman person," Taylor declared. "I love the aspirational, the inspirational and hope and joy over angst and darkness and brooding. These are my favorite stories, I'm sitting there pumping the air as I'm reading them and, if you're watching Ted Lasso, that is my absolute jam. I want entertainment that not only entertains me but makes me want to be better. That will be a big part for this book and Jon and, as a writer, I like telling positive stories and you can see that with Nightwing. We're telling a really positive tale about a positive person. And, Jon Kent, raised by Clark Kent and Lois Lane, can't help but be a positive person. He's going to have that fire from Lois and that desire to change things but all that compassion from Superman."

Taylor's Lois was inspired not only by Margot Kidder, who portrayed Lois Lane in 1978's Superman and was an activist, but also his mother, and his wife -- who was a crime reporter before becoming a doctor. Superman has always been about truth and justice and Taylor hinted that the truth, in particular, will resonate very deeply for Jon through his mother's example. In addition to the 1978 film, Taylor expressed admiration for Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely's All-Star Superman, Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale's Superman for All Seasons, and Joe Kelly's run on the character. Taylor also sees Nightwing and Jon being kindred spirits, in a way, teasing that Dick Grayson may make an appearance in the series. CBR expanded upon this, asking how Jon and Nightwing are similar and different from one another.

"Superman gave Nightwing his name, there's a lot that Nightwing looks up to when he sees Clark Kent and I think it's fair to say there are similarities between the two. Obviously, Nightwing is further along in his journey but there's a similar idea there in wanting to do good because it's the right thing to do that both of them share," Taylor observed. "The difference is Nightwing does what he does on a street-level and Jon can lift mountains which is going to annoy a lot more people and make him a threat to powerful, corrupt people and puts him in the firing line of some really unsavory characters. Obviously Nightwing gets that too but on a smaller level but the difference is Jon is going to go global. When you can fly around the world in a heartbeat, what do borders mean?"

Taylor affirmed that, with his father off-world, Jon will be the Superman of Earth and separated from other Superman titles for a while -- including the cloned Superboy Conner Kent, whom Taylor points out is occupied with the Suicide Squad. CBR asked what sort of rogues gallery readers can expect for Jon as he follows in his father's footsteps.

"We are going to find the first piece of his rogues gallery in Issue #2," Taylor replied. "There's going to be somebody that represents a lot of what Jon disagrees with in this world. Someone quite corrupt who is essentially driving people away from a nation and lying about how good their nation is while driving these people away," Taylor teased. "We're talking about someone who lies, destroys the planet, somebody who treats people like objects and puts profits before people and puts a spin on their own life that isn't real. All of that is the antithesis of what Jon believes in and that's where we'll get some fireworks... Maybe a farm will explode."

Taylor clarified that the teased antagonist isn't a new villain but in a role that readers haven't seen him in before. The rest of Jon's rogues gallery will be a mix of all-new enemies and some of his father's old foes. Taylor stated that he sees Jon as an inherently empathetic character and that's something that has always been true for the character and will be evident right from Son of Kal-El's opening issue. CBR asked if wider parts of the DCU will be woven into the series, given the reframing of Jon's birth launching the story and if he will start to push back against conventional authority figures as he establishes his own voice.

"It's early days but we're going to see others who are there to support him," he replied. "This is a young hero and one of the most powerful people in the universe, there are people who are going to be worried about that. Batman might like to have a word but that might be better coming from someone like Nightwing. We're going to see people who are going to guide and help him and he will be there to help others."

"There are things that he won't stand for and there are issues in the world today: We see authoritarianism and people in uniforms who are abusing that," Taylor continued. "And Jon is a person, due to his age, who is not going to stand by and let innocents get hurt, no matter who is doing the hurting. We'll see Jon stepping up but also, he's not going to be perfect at it. He's a seventeen-year old and a person who has come from a lot of trauma. He's seen a better world in the future and there's so much behind him but he is going to make mistakes and do things that are a bit reckless but his dad believes in him and says 'If you overstep, you'll do the right thing.' Clark believes he is the one to do that because he was born on Earth and this is his planet... There are going to be things happening in this book that will hopefully be talked about around the world and we're going to be challenging some things and I can't say more but watch this space in a few issues' time -- Issue #5, that's all I'll say!"

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I like how Timms draws Damian, like an actual teenager and not someone cursed to forever be short
    I have the exact opposite feelings. I'm a big fan of Timms, but I don't like the way this looks. I preferred what Godlewski was doing.

Quote Originally Posted by garazza View Post
    I read their first two speech bubbles and was immediately turned off. Like, I want to turn to Taylor and just say "Shut up." For someone claiming to like the Super Sons, he sure doesn't get why people liked the Super Sons.

And personally speaking, I could not give less of a **** about Jon's identity issues. What drew me to him was that despite his young age he was quite self-actualized. This just reeks of a mandate.
    Yeah, contrary to how hard I've resisted, I do genuinely want to give this run a try because it's either that or abandon the same character who had previously saved me from abandoning DC. But I can't help but agree with all of this. This just...doesn't feel right. I wanna at least give Taylor the benefit of the doubt on the Super Sons bit because I've seen him write them VERY well before. But man. This is all just so...."Meh"

Also not big on how we're still not addressing everything that happened on Earth-3 and acting like that was just no big deal. That was a big part of the previous run's problem too (Especially since it was all the direct result of his parents failing the absolute hell out of him).

Same for idea of simplifying/"streamlining" Tomasi and Gleason's run. Though that thankfully hasn't been confirmed yet.

Really the only thing that hasn't made me cringe is Taylor using his son as a guinea pig for these books. That's actually a pretty good idea.

"We are going to find the first piece of his rogues gallery in Issue #2," Taylor replied. "There's going to be somebody that represents a lot of what Jon disagrees with in this world. Someone quite corrupt who is essentially driving people away from a nation and lying about how good their nation is while driving these people away," Taylor teased. "We're talking about someone who lies, destroys the planet, somebody who treats people like objects and puts profits before people and puts a spin on their own life that isn't real. All of that is the antithesis of what Jon believes in and that's where we'll get some fireworks... Maybe a farm will explode."

Taylor clarified that the teased antagonist isn't a new villain but in a role that readers haven't seen him in before.
    Any guesses? Doesn’t seem like it could be Lex then.

Quote Originally Posted by garazza View Post

All this over one page? Yep, I can't wait for tomorrow.

Incredible Member

I'm mentally prepared for Jon to finally become a different character when the new streamlined origin comes and erases his entire emotional journey before this point in the name of being "new reader friendly". By this I mean becomes basically the Post-Crisis Superman to his previous version's Pre-Crisis Superman: new origin means recontextualizing everything about the character in small but hugely significant ways.

Anyway, Timms' art looks magnificent, a massive improvement over his work in FS Superman of Metropolis, I'm annoyed as always at the idea of having to go to a Bat-character to craft a secret identity (surely Lois and Clark should be perfectly capable of doing that for Jon?) but understand this is a pretty organic way of involving Damian, I'm annoyed at Kathy being further erased from existence despite understanding that's the right choice for both "new reader friendliness" and because obviously a 17 year old is not going to take life advice from a 10 year old, I rolled my eyes at the Trump reference in that interview, I'm curious about what seems to be Taylor's attempts to elevate the entire "next generation" alongside Jon in this book if those Nightwing references are anything to judge by, I wonder if Taylor will acknowledge at some point that Jon is also effectively a powerful person in a uniform (in a way even his father never was because he was being himself while Jon here is assuming a role), and I'm about 99% certain that the villain he's talking about is Trojan (the 1% is because I'm still seeing him as a Midnighter enemy first and foremost).

Quote Originally Posted by oneveryfineday View Post
    Any guesses? Doesn’t seem like it could be Lex then.
    Toyman is a greedy capitalist that exploits the labor of his workers?

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    All this over one page? Yep, I can't wait for tomorrow.
    You should see what Superlad writes based on less.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oneveryfineday View Post
    Far too many right things were said in this interview, and then the actual additional preview pages? *Chef's kiss* We are hours away from the arrival of The Superman, and, God help me, I'm really buying in!

I particularly like the idea that Taylor calls attention to the fact that Jon doesn't have anyone around his age that he's not related to or is a superhero. For his character asking that question really works and you get it because he's been through the craziest coming of age possible, and now the "final frontier" for Jon is reconnecting with normal people. So it makes sense that Taylor seems to be implying in his interview that Jon NEEDS normal friends and some outlet to be unseen for a few hours. If he's going to be the Superman that rolls up his sleeves and gets to *really* changing stuff for the people of Earth, then he's going to have to walk among them for a bit. But luckily this doesn't do away with the danger and exposure of the Jon Kent name being famous. It's the best of both worlds.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.