Page 76 of 208 FirstFirst ... 266672737475767778798086126176 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,140 of 3110

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Critics love Taylor, God knows why. It’s a freaking 9.1 now, it went UP lmao. Taylor may not appeal to me but he definitely appeals to others, he’s got a fanbase.

That’s partly why I’m not enthused about lots of Super Sons. I don’t want this to be Damian or any of the Batfamily, just telling Jon how to act. Taylor’s really bad at this, despite his proclaimed love of Superman he seems incapable of doing anything that doesn’t involve Batman showing up in some capacity of another. Also I’m just f****** sick of Batman being in everything Superman, there’s an entire book for that, the Superman books should focus on Superman and the Superfamily.
    Batman Superman? That book is ending in a couple of months.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Batman Superman? That book is ending in a couple of months.
    I know. They can always relaunch it if they want a book focused on the Batman/Superman relationship. That’s what that book is for.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

SoK #1 debuted 34th in the July sales (it should be around 54k): https://icv2.com/articles/markets/vi...mics-july-2021

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    SoK #1 debuted 34th in the July sales (it should be around 54k): https://icv2.com/articles/markets/vi...mics-july-2021
    For a first issue not bad especially when a majority of his fanbase hate everything being done with him, if they keep those numbers they could pump out a solid 12 issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    For a first issue not bad especially when a majority of his fanbase hate everything being done with him, if they keep those numbers they could pump out a solid 12 issues.
    It can't keep these numbers, the first issue had like 7 variant covers to boost sales, the series will probably be out the Top50 with the next issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    It can't keep these numbers, the first issue had like 7 variant covers to boost sales, the series will probably be out the Top50 with the next issue.
    Maybe, but it got positive reviews so I could see it declining more steadily. Of course Suicide Squad also fell off fast and hard so who knows? It does feel like DC is really depending on that event next year to bring more attention to the mainline though, because outside the Batline, sales are unimpressive.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Maybe, but it got positive reviews so I could see it declining more steadily. Of course Suicide Squad also fell off fast and hard so who knows?
    Usually the 2nd issue end up selling almost half less than the 1st one with the multiple variants gimmick.

It does feel like DC is really depending on that event next year to bring more attention to the mainline though, because outside the Batline, sales are unimpressive.
    I'm skeptic about it. What an event can do? It's not like stuff like Year of the Villains helped that much DC sales.

DiDio used to wreck continuity and change everything to bring attention to the mainline.

Incredible Member

Huh, how does that compare to previous relaunches of the Superman book (specifically Rebirth and Bendis)?

BANNED

The copium in this thread is delicious

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    Huh, how does that compare to previous relaunches of the Superman book (specifically Rebirth and Bendis)?
    Rebirth's SM #1 sold 105k copies, ranking 10th in the sales chart.

https://www.comichron.com/monthlycom...6/2016-06.html

Bendis' SM #1 sold 133k, ranking 5th.

https://www.comichron.com/monthlycom...8/2018-07.html
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 08-03-2021 at 01:55 PM.

Incredible Member

That's... puzzling? Obviously both Rebirth and Bendis had circumstances to sell that high that Son of Kal-El doesn't (the return of the Super-Marriage and Jon Kent's introductionto the mainstream for Rebirth; the hype after Action Comics 1000 for Bendis), but I would have thought the cancellation of the Superman title to replace it with one entirely dedicated to an in-continuity Superman successor that's explicitely aimed at potential adaptations would have come closer to at least Rebirth's numbers for its #1 issue.

Astonishing Member

Regardless of the sales they might as well stick it for a while and just see what happens.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    That's... puzzling? Obviously both Rebirth and Bendis had circumstances to sell that high that Son of Kal-El doesn't (the return of the Super-Marriage and Jon Kent's introductionto the mainstream for Rebirth; the hype after Action Comics 1000 for Bendis), but I would have thought the cancellation of the Superman title to replace it with one entirely dedicated to an in-continuity Superman successor that's explicitely aimed at potential adaptations would have come closer to at least Rebirth's numbers for its #1 issue.
    It’s disappointing but not that surprising. To break down why:
    1. Superman Rebirth had a bunch of big upheavals that caught attention: the death of New 52 Superman, the return of Pre-Flashpoint married Superman, the introduction of a Clois child in-continuity, Johns Rebirth one shot setting up a Watchman crossover that had everyone talking (and specifically set up a Superman mystery about how neither of the two Supermen were what they seemed with Mr. Oz), etc. There were a lot of plotlines introduced with Rebirth to attract attention and it being a linewide relaunch helped as well
    2. Bendis coming over was a big deal because he was a long time Marvel creator and people didn’t know what to expect with his Superman
    3. Jon’s fanbase only wants him as a kid, preferably paling around with Damian, or used for big wholesome moments on the farm with his parents. They’re not interested in him as an adult (by and large). And Jon doesn’t have a big immediate “hook” to differentiate himself from Clark since he’s also a white straight male just as Clark is. Obviously Jon has access to loads of storytelling opportunities that Clark doesn’t, they’ve been talked about in this thread ad nauseam, but it’s not as headlining grabbing as “Superman is black/Latino/Asian/gay now!” so not as many people are attracted to check it out
    4. Overall people just don’t really care about the mainline of DC as a whole, nothing is really blowing up. Wally is back as the Flash but people don’t care. John Stewart finally is one of the focuses of the main GL book, but his Twitter fanbase isn’t buying, neither are the Far Sector fans. Wonder Woman has been pretty solid but it’s not getting a lot of attention either. Only books selling well… are Batman books which is why DC keeps putting out more of them. I don’t think they’ve ever been so reliant on Batman before.

BANNED

The biggest thing to hope for is stability and growth

Which is more than possible with Tom Taylor as long as he doesn’t try to focus too much on the things that people loathed about the bendis run

Namely earth 3 and Jon’s missing childhood

Just pretend that those two elements don’t exist, pretend Jon was just away with the legion for a while

I honestly think dwelling on Jon’s missing childhood is what killed the PKJ run before it ever began
    Last edited by kryptonian; 08-03-2021 at 02:22 PM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

My guess is DC'll be looking at overtime sales AND actual reception.

If the "slow rollout" is to continue, they've likely planned for the relative numbers to be less than the books RIGHT after Action 1000 and Bendis over at DC, and the Superman book part of a line wide relaunch. Relative to that, and this originally being intended as a creative team switch rather than a number 1, I'd say these numbers are damn strong. Even beat out Morrison's first Superman comic since Action that's drawn by a super star artist that they previously saved for Bat books.

I think Taylor's got it in him to go the distance with Jon. But regardless, I'm just happy it's doing well!
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.