Page 82 of 208 FirstFirst ... 327278798081828384858692132182 ... LastLast
Results 1,216 to 1,230 of 3110
    Incredible Member

It's less a case of "it sold a lot" (althought it did sell very well for a current Superman comic) and more a case of "it sold beyond what people expected it to sell".

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    It's less a case of "it sold a lot" (althought it did sell very well for a current Superman comic) and more a case of "it sold beyond what people expected it to sell".
    That's what I've been saying!

Quote Originally Posted by garazza View Post
    Though, the estimated sales number was 54k, which is low for a first issue like this. Maybe DC didn't want to over-invest, so they printed low and demand just so happened to barely exceed their lower expectations. Still, it didn't blow off the the doors. First issues are always statistical outliers, so it's downhill from here. Question is how steep the decline is going to be.

It means there’s demand beyond the initial orders. DC doesn’t set the initial print run. Orders do. So demand outstripped the shops orders. So people actually bought the book. Numbers drop after the first issue because they order big and books sit on the shelf. Then they cut. Shops under ordered here. Taylor’s Nightwing has been the same way.
    Last edited by Yoda; 08-07-2021 at 08:35 PM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

That's not the issue.It's not reaching beyond the standard comic book readers.That was not gonna happen.But,hoped that it would. Maybe this number one would be up for grabs.Once and if dc is planning big things with the new superman in other media..
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

BANNED

This thread has become one big copium overdose

2nd print...nothing else matters

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    They printed only around 54k copies going off estimates based on SSOKE sales position. Looks like that wasn’t enough.
    Nice One. Good to hear the debut performed far better than expected.

Thanks for the explanation @Vordan

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    They couldn’t even keep Damian dead for a year, and the readers HATED him, and I’m sure plenty of DC creators did too considering Damian makes Bruce look old and he pushed Tim out the door which I’m sure made Tim fanboys like Tynion mad. Jon isn’t going anywhere outside of another hard reboot, and that’s not happening any time soon.
    Damian was popular at the time of his death yet Dc did intend to keep him dead with Duke lined up to take the mantle.

According to Snyder WB overruled the decision via email. So Popularity [profits] is what saved Damian not being batman's kid.

You are not wrong about some creators not wanting to deal with Bruce's kid. Morrison said as much stating that scott [Snyder] likes a solo Batman but he found it funny that Damian is still around fucking up DC's continuity.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonian View Post
    This thread has become one big copium overdose

2nd print...nothing else matters
    Jon fans should celebrate the re-print but it's still a #1 with variants. Let's see what his drop rate is at issue #2, and after the first arc is finished, and at #10, etc.

Don't want to end up with egg on your face for crowing too early.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    Jon fans should celebrate the re-print but it's still a #1 with variants. Let's see what his drop rate is at issue #2, and after the first arc is finished, and at #10, etc.

And sanders will certainly win in 2020...make that 2024...2028?

Extraordinary Member

You seem upset ?

Got to the LCS and read this yesterday. Hadn't really planned to, but I decided to give it a few issues until Morrison wraps up S&tA and we get an idea of what the Superverse is supposed to look like now.

Not bad, as far as first issues go. Sets up who Jon is and the kind of expectations that were dumped on his shoulders right from the start. Gives us a good conversation with Damian (who looks older than he should here?) and points us in the direction the title is going to go in. Manages to avoid some of the weirder parts of Jon's journey, primarily the age-up and his time in space/earth-3. Very clearly this was written to be new-reader friendly, or at least avoid mentioning the stuff that pisses off the kid!Jon fanbase, and I think it succeeded there. Anyone off the street could pick this up and get the gist of what's happening.

Good art, but I've enjoyed this guy since he started on Harley so it's not a surprise I'd like him here.

I'm fairly happy with how it went down, though I'm still salty that Clark lost a ongoing for this. I think Taylor did a decent job of showing us how Jon differs from his father and how he's going to approach being Superman differently. But it felt largely by the numbers. Just another first issue where a legacy has to establish the mantle they're picking up and how they're going to contrast to the original. It's clear that Taylor intends for Jon to be his own kind of Super, but it's kept vague and I feel like maybe we would've been better served if the issue had ended with Jon taking up a specific mission and goal. Or some kind of flash forward that shows us the consequences and outcomes of Jon's actions. Something to really sell the idea of Jon being a new kind of Superman and that this outlook of his won't fade away like it has with Clark, in the numerous times he's decided to be proactive about things.

Not a bad issue at all, but nothing that really made me sit up and go "holy sh*t I can't wait for the next one!"

So, it's getting a second printing huh? That's good. I'm not worried about sales figures. The "S" usually just sells what the "S" sells and Jon isn't the character to break out of that cycle and expand the fandom in a meaningful way. At least not with issue 1. And considering the world is still on fire (literally, in a lot of places) I don't think we can compare this to pre-pandemic sales either. But getting a second printing means stores didn't order enough to meet the demand and that's a positive sign.

So we'll see where it all goes.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    You seem upset ?
    Quite the opposite actually. I'm very amused kryptonian somehow doesn't see the possibility of this going south. How can I not smile at the Bernie jokes above? We'll see where this goes.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quite the opposite actually. I'm very amused kryptonian somehow doesn't see the possibility of this going south. How can I not smile at the Bernie jokes above? We'll see where this goes.
    Even if it does superman comics is boring.period.Except for the authority and lobo book nothing super about superman.i tend to think going south would be an improvement instead of the same old stuff.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Even if it does superman comics is boring.period.Except for the authority and lobo book nothing super about superman.i tend to think going south would be an improvement instead of the same old stuff.
    To each their own. In recent years, I greatly enjoyed the Tomasi run and Venditti's short run on Supes. Didn't find them boring at all.

Bendis did suck, though.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Don't know if anyone he's heard, but Tynion's done with his Batman run in November (and Joker/DC as a whole in April).

So that means Jimenez is free!

I kind of doubt he'll be staying on the Batman book after, but I'm fairly sure he'll stay at DC. And given his very open affection for Superman, and Jon in particular, I feel like we've got a fair shot of seeing him come on the Superman book with Taylor for either a special arc (ala Sixth Dimension) or maybe even as a regular artist on the book alongside Timms.

With Tynion, Snyder, and Johns (basically) gone, and King comfy as just the mini/maxi guy, Taylor is DC's biggest writer right now even with Williamson calling the shots. And by the luck of the draw DC's biggest writer just so happens to be spearheading this Jon book, so we're likely to see some weight thrown behind it as it gets thrown behind him, and that likely includes top artist.

Fingers crossed!
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.