Page 84 of 208 FirstFirst ... 347480818283848586878894134184 ... LastLast
Results 1,246 to 1,260 of 3110
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Clark still isn't a character I love. But he's one that I have a lot of respect for now. Hell, as an aspiring screenwriter, his character archetype has gone from being one who I'd never in a million years wanna write for, to being one that I think I could have some fun with.
    I am glad people seem to like the guy..I have largley become alan moore.Superman just makes my eyes roll.I have quit reading american comics(especially caped comics).I am planning on waiting till how this ends.Superman and authority,this book will be the last books.After that,i am done

After this story ends,it will be the end of one of the huge mistakes i made.thinking Superman was a character i can like just because he wore a strongman suit.American comics felt like a waste of money with no content what so ever.i still like the jeans-tshirt guy and the original superman by siegel and shuster.The only guys that spoke to me.

A superman i can get behind doesn't exist in modern world...he does in one place.Now you will just have to find it

As long as men thrill to daring deeds...as long as they dream of high adventure and the throwing-off of the shackles of mortal limitations...the original Superman who burst upon a startled world in 1938 will live. And that, hopefully, will be a very long time indeed.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 08-10-2021 at 10:12 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Astonishing Member

There's something sort of unintentionally tragic about the Post-Crisis Superman spending years billed as the relateable and more human iteration having to explain to his half human son that he didn't do more because he never really saw himself as a human. A better writer would see the irony in that and run with it.

idk I've always been of the opinion that the Post-Crisis writers kind of fumbled the torch pass from the Pre-Crisis Superman writers and the DCU has been a much darker place for it. The fact that you had Superman searching around for pretty much any excuse not to do more always felt unsettling to me. Honestly who is this man suppose to be inspirational to? Whatever his faults Pre-Crisis Superman at least lived his Super life passionately and with gusto.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    And with that, I breathed a huge sigh of relief. Having one of my top writers on this book is painful enough. Don't get one of my favorite artists involved too -____-

I've heard that a lot. But, as someone who didn't care about Superman before, unless he was part of an ensemble, Tomasi and Jurgens' runs are honestly what made me start warming up to Clark. Much like Cyclops in recent years, he went from being a character that I thought was boring, to one that I really enjoyed reading about. Hell, that era of Superman and Action Comics had me going back to read Pre-Flashpoint stories too.
    Going to Say this much, when I was 8 or 9, I got into Superman thanks to reading Jurgen's work after his work on the Death of Superman. When he came back I was so excited because I knew that he would pull back readers with good strong stories, and Tomasi's work on Jon and the family was something I loved. I really wish they had kept Chris around too, or brought him back so that we could see how Jurgen's and Tomasi's would handle him as well and Jon with a sibling. But yeah it's thanks to Dan and the team behind Superman around the period of his death that I fully embraced Superman as my go to favorite Comic hero.

Extraordinary Member

SUPERMAN: SON OF KAL-EL #5
    Written by TOM TAYLOR
    Art and cover by JOHN TIMMS
    $3.99 US | 32 PAGES
    Variant by INHYUK LEE
    $4.99 US (Card stock)
    ON SALE 11/9/21

Faster than fate. As powerful as hope. Able to lift us all.
    For all his great power, Jon Kent can’t save everyone, but that won’t stop him from trying. How much can Earth’s new Superman do before this Man of Steel buckles? And when he does, who swoops in to save Superman?
    SUPERMAN: SON OF KAL-EL 2021 ANNUAL #1
    Written by TOM TAYLOR
    Art by STEVE PUGH
    Cover by JOHN TIMMS
    $5.99 US | 48 PAGES
    Variant by STEVE PUGH
    $6.99 US (Card stock)
    ON SALE 11/30/21

Jon Kent’s first days as Earth’s new Superman have been a trial by fire. His actions have already put those he loves in harm’s way. He has stood strong in the path of constant attacks, but the immovable object is about to meet an unstoppable force. Lex Luthor—the man, the myth, the menace—returns to Metropolis.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

That cover for the annual is blessed. That is the exact sort of energy I want from Jon's Superman. It's especially the sort of energy I want when he's meeting saying hi to Lex. It's such a nice contrast to how Clark would confront Lex. It would always be him floating outside his window with a stern look on his face. While I'd rather we left Lex alone for a while to let Jon flex some new muscles for a while, I wouldn't say no to issues where Jon just mercilessly trolls Lex lol

Between this cover, and Jon's cameo in Shazam where he asks a crowd of people if they think he should throw a downed satellite onto Lex's tower, I'm all for this energy!

________

Ah, so it's the kid from issue #1 who gives Jon back his wig after he blows his cover? I'm guessing this is that Damian-like trusted friend Jon will make. So basically Jon's Jimmy Olsen? And similar to the New 52, he's a peer in age (they even go to the same it seems). I wanna say he's maybe supposed to be Asian, so that's really nice. And I like giving him glasses as a potential shout out to the Clark Kent dynamic. Like saying Clark is Superman's best friend.

And I do believe that's Stormwatch's Henry Bendix on the cover. So THAT'S the villain who isn't new, but we're seeing put in a new position. Interesting given the fact that Clark is now leading a version of The Authority, and the Wild Cats are all over the Batman books. They really aren't playing with making sure all this WS stuff goes into DC continuity. I can dig it. I just glad it wasn't Trojin.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

For a second I thought that was jon kent with glasses persona..So,superman meets someone like "clark kent" with glasses? that's intriguing..I hope the fellow is fearfull but brave.clumsy yet strong willed.A Worrywart.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 08-13-2021 at 10:19 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    And I do believe that's Stormwatch's Henry Bendix on the cover. So THAT'S the villain who isn't new, but we're seeing put in a new position. Interesting given the fact that Clark is now leading a version of The Authority, and the Wild Cats are all over the Batman books. They really aren't playing with making sure all this WS stuff goes into DC continuity. I can dig it. I just glad it wasn't Trojin.
    Taylor was just saying on Twitter he was rereading the Ellis/Raney Stormwatch run.

Incredible Member

More of DC tying in Wildstorm into DC via its two biggest icons. Jim Lee must be happy. I'm guessing this issue is where him and the glasses guy become close friends. Nothing to form a close friendship like a brush with death in fiction.

The Annual looks like a fun story. I for one hope it keeps to the predictable "Lex doesn't take Jon seriously because he's just his enemy's young kid in his eyes, but Jon proves himself as dangerous or more dangerous than his father and Lex swears to never understimste him again, with the implicit newfound respect such a threat implies", and then we never see Lex again in this book (in a major role). Anything further from that would probably drink from the idea of Lex also inheriting his fortune, a take on him I don't particularly like (even if it's probably "canon" right now). Anyway, there's definitely a third person in that room with Jon and Lex, if that misplace sculpture in the cover is any indication.

... now that I think about it, it's damn weird to position Superman (and a Superman who's meant to cause big changes in the planet, at that) in the "Immovable Object" role. You'd think he'd be the Unstoppable Force to Lex Luthor (the established billionaire who could save the world if wanted to but doesn't care)

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    The Annual looks like a fun story.
    My honest to goodness hope is that from here on out whenever Lex is in Jon's Superman book it's basically Denis The Menace and Mr. Wilson. The proactive nature of Jon coming to Lex-- full of swagger and direction-- even before he's done anything is pretty neat.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Seems this is our guy from the upcoming issue #2

https://aiptcomics.com/2021/07/30/ex...n-of-kal-el-2/

That cover for the annual is blessed. That is the exact sort of energy I want from Jon's Superman. It's especially the sort of energy I want when he's meeting saying hi to Lex. It's such a nice contrast to how Clark would confront Lex. It would always be him floating outside his window with a stern look on his face. While I'd rather we left Lex alone for a while to let Jon flex some new muscles for a while, I wouldn't say no to issues where Jon just mercilessly trolls Lex lol

Between this cover, and Jon's cameo in Shazam where he asks a crowd of people if they think he should throw a downed satellite onto Lex's tower, I'm all for this energy!

________

Ah, so it's the kid from issue #1 who gives Jon back his wig after he blows his cover? I'm guessing this is that Damian-like trusted friend Jon will make. So basically Jon's Jimmy Olsen? And similar to the New 52, he's a peer in age (they even go to the same it seems). I wanna say he's maybe supposed to be Asian, so that's really nice. And I like giving him glasses as a potential shout out to the Clark Kent dynamic. Like saying Clark is Superman's best friend.

Yeah I love Jon just being in his chair all cocky. Not sure what Lex being back means after Death Metal and the fact that Lex is also a member of the Totality watching over the whole omniverse.

Also who’s Henry Bendix?
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Not sure what Lex being back means after Death Metal and the fact that Lex is also a member of the Totality watching over the whole omniverse.
    My guess is that they both surprise each other. Jon surprises Lex by being there, and Lex surprises Jon by saying he's not in the market to go back to his old ways because he's doing some other stuff. Basically writing Lex out, and addressing it for the new readers.

Also who’s Henry Bendix?
    Wildstrom villain. He made the team Stromwatch, and was the guy who created the enhancements that were used to make Apollo and Midnighter. He also has a bunch of enhancements himself.

Somehow only just now occurring to me that the fire guy with the anxiety disorder and no memory of who he his was a Bendix creation (as in he took a person and then enhanced them). If I recall correctly both Midnighter and Apollo couldn't remember their real names for a while because of this.

I remember Taylor said that the villain who was a character who already existed, but will be in a role we've never seen them in before would be "someone quite corrupt who is essentially driving people away from a nation and lying about how good their nation is while driving people away." He's supposed to be someone who "lies, destroys the plane, someone who treats people like objects and puts profits before people and puts a spin on their own life that isn't real."

Bendix may be making 'designer superhumans' using refugees and immigrants as test subjects or the actual products? THAT (this whole thing really) would probably hit very close to home for Jon because his dad is an immigrant from the stars, and he wouldn't be here if his grandparents didn't want a better life for their son.

I'm not super brushed up on Bendix's history, so I'll have to read up when I get the chance to see where this may go.

Fantastic Member oneveryfineday's Avatar

My guess is that they both surprise each other. Jon surprises Lex by being there, and Lex surprises Jon by saying he's not in the market to go back to his old ways because he's doing some other stuff. Basically writing Lex out, and addressing it for the new readers.

Wildstrom villain. He made the team Stromwatch, and was the guy who created the enhancements that were used to make Apollo and Midnighter. He also has a bunch of enhancements himself.
    Don’t forget that he’s bald, his most important trait as a Superman villain

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I am glad people seem to like the guy..I have largley become alan moore.Superman just makes my eyes roll.I have quit reading american comics(especially caped comics).I am planning on waiting till how this ends.Superman and authority,this book will be the last books.After that,i am done

After this story ends,it will be the end of one of the huge mistakes i made.thinking Superman was a character i can like just because he wore a strongman suit.American comics felt like a waste of money with no content what so ever.i still like the jeans-tshirt guy and the original superman by siegel and shuster.The only guys that spoke to me.

A superman i can get behind doesn't exist in modern world...he does in one place.Now you will just have to find it

As long as men thrill to daring deeds...as long as they dream of high adventure and the throwing-off of the shackles of mortal limitations...the original Superman who burst upon a startled world in 1938 will live. And that, hopefully, will be a very long time indeed.
    You should check outside DC. American comics aren't just superheroes.