Page 9 of 208 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Actually yeah. What the hell? Superboy-Prime, why are you so hung up on Jon being Superboy (or Superman) because he didn't have the name first, but you're fine with Cassie being Wonder Girl even though she's in the same position?
    Well, I grew up with Cassie, and she's still Wonder Girl. I just want the existing Wonder Girl to have an appearance. Why not make Yara Flor Wonder Woman instead?

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    According to the description, Morrison's book is set to launch a new status quo for SM moving forward, it has to be the Summer event drawn by Janian that PKJ was talking about:

"If Superman is to free the prisoners of Warworld, he’s going to need help, the kind of help that doesn’t scream "Justice League." Fortunately, multi-Eisner Award-winning writer Grant Morrison (Wonder Woman: Earth One, The Green Lantern) and fan-favorite artist Mikel Janín (Batman, Future State: Superman: Worlds of War) have the solution in the form of a new four-issue limited series, Superman and the Authority. Launching July 20, this new team will be led by Manchester Black and combine original members Midnighter and Apollo with new members Enchantress and Natasha Irons, as well as new versions of Lightray and O.M.A.C. This new team will have to learn to work together, and fast, as the Ultra-Humanite has formed his own team of villains to take out the Man of Steel. This new limited series will help launch an all-new status quo for Superman, setting up story elements that will impact both Action Comics and Superman: Son of Kal-El in the months to come."
    Man, that is one weird collection of characters but, hey, I'm down for it. And I've always had a soft spot for the Ultra Humanite.

So it looks like Superman will be out in space while Jon is on earth? I guess that works, even if I've always preferred my Superman earthbound. It's not like we haven't had long arcs of Superman being off world before, though, but with this being contained mostly to Action Comics rather than being spread out over three or four monthly Superman titles does mean that it could get old a hell of a lot quicker than it did in the classic Exile in Space story from the early triangle era.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    So how long do you think Jon as Superman, Jace as Batman, and Yara Flor as Wonder Girl will last?
    Since when Wonder Girl is such a big name that Yara can't keep? Cassie will probably move to another name or keep the Young Justice tradition of sharing the same hero name with another character.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Good point. He'd absolutely wreck this leaky ship if given the chance. He's probably burying his face in his hands as we speak. He finally comes back and is greeted to this.
    Hey Waid is (maybe) getting to do a sequel to Birthright, as long as he gets to do that I bet he’s happy. He definitely hates the current status quo though lmao, he was on a podcast recently where he reiterated that he’s not a fan of the Kents being alive or the marriage.

Honestly Sacred, as long as we get more standalone young Superman comics, I could not care less if they’re “in-continuity” or not at this point. Superman in the mainline has such a messed up continuity I don’t care anymore, give me more Superman ‘78, give me that Superman & Lois mini, give me Waid doing a follow up to Birthright set in the Birthrightverse and I’m fine with them doing whatever with Jon. Jon is never going away anymore than Damian will, at this point that seems clear, and I like Jon so I’m fine with that. Just disappointed it’s Taylor they’re entrusting with making him Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    Man, you know, however much I already stated I don't love this idea, people in this thread are being ridiculously melodramatic. Jon won't be Superman forever and we still have Action Comics featuring Superman proper, as well as minis and whatnot. I wish Jon's title wasn't replacing Superman (give that series back its old numbering!) but let's not be ridiculous about this.

Also, when did Tom Taylor become such a hated writer? His work on the excellent DCeased alone shows how much he gets these characters and how good a writer he is.
    Everyone here can vouch that I hated Taylor before it was cool

But in all seriousness it’s a combination of Injustice kicking off the endless Evil Superman stories of the past decade, Earth 2 becoming the Batdad and Super-Zod show despite the whole point being that the old Trinity were dead and GL, Hawkgirl, & Flash were the new ones along with using E2 as an excuse to keep writing C-Lister slaughterfests, DCeased being boring and banal despite initially being promising by killing off Batman when everyone else would make him the main protagonist of that kind of story, and then Jon Superman in DCeased 2 being a carbon copy of his dad, which is exactly what I don’t want.

Furthermore when has Taylor ever done anything actually interesting with the Superman characters? He jobs his villains to Batgod, even having Lex, LEX, of all people say Bruce was smarter than him in DCeased which is just a baffling misread of Lex’s personality, his obsession with shoving his pet character Harley Quinn into everything he does, and generally being reliant on cheap fanservice with stuff like cute pet animals that has Twitter and Reddit singing his praises. I’ve found his stories basic and lacking in depth, especially his take on Superman who is little more than a cipher Taylor uses for edge (in Injustice) or wholesome bait (everywhere else). He’s not going to do anything cool with Superman’s Rogues, he won’t have any exciting new insights into how the character works, and he’s probably going to drag things out decompression wise because he’s bad at pacing a story imo when he can’t rely on killing off C-Listers for hooks.

I liked All-New Wolverine and his Nightwing hasn’t been too bad so far (it’s basic as hell though, great art aside), so I’ll give him a chance, but I just don’t see this being all that exciting. I don’t see him building up Jon as a character who can stand on his own, moreso I see him bringing in Damian and other Batman characters because that’s his actual favorite franchise no matter how much he says otherwise.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    I'm sorry but this is such a bewildering point of view. Look, I understand biases and I have plenty of my own, but comics aren't "supposed" to be anything. Writers can't just write the same thing over and over again so new twists and new characters will inevitably be added and subtracted from these monthly books, especially over 80 years later. And if we're talking about "supposed" to be, then Superman should only be able to leap tall buildings in a single bound, Batman would still use guns, Jay Garrick would be the only version of the Flash and the Justice Society of America would be the only superhero team around. Cassie Sandsmark is Wonder Girl? Tell that to young Diana or even Donna Troy.
    Yeah, that's true, but to be fair you're a Flash fan so you're used to three characters running around with the same name. I'm a Superman fan, I've only ever had Clark.

Very mixed feelings here. Taylor on Superman? Interested. It is aged up Jon? Not interested at all. Damian is showing up? Mildly interesting. Morrison is writing a mini that will lead into this? Very interested. Why couldn't it have been simply a Superman ongoing? Damn it.

I suppose I'm going to wait for reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Since when Wonder Girl is such a big name that Yara can't keep? Cassie will probably move to another name or keep the Young Justice tradition of sharing the same hero name with another character.
    Cassandra Sandsmark rarely appears now, though, and she's not even in Titans Academy. Unless she joins the clone in Suicide Squad, she's not even being mentioned.

So how long do you think Jon as Superman, Jace as Batman, and Yara Flor as Wonder Girl will last?
    Who knows. I think the Jon Kent as the Superman on Earth will last depending on how PKJ's run goes. He's said he has a long run planned, but I don't think we'll really see the full Future State future where Superman's gone for decades. I fully expect Bendis will use Clark for as long as he wants over in Justice League.

As far as I know, Jace isn't Batman except in his digital first book, so expect that will probably continue for a bit.

Yara Flor is probably going to be Wonder Girl for the foreseeable future, she's by all account's pretty popular and was a good enough pitch that they almost gave her her own TV show.

Again, DC isn't replacing them outright. Jon's getting the Earthbound adventures, Clark's Planet Hulking it up for a while. You're acting like they are discontinuing Clark Kent as Superman when in reality Jon's going to be running concurrently.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Who knows. I think the Jon Kent as the Superman on Earth will last depending on how PKJ's run goes. He's said he has a long run planned, but I don't think we'll really see the full Future State future where Superman's gone for decades. I fully expect Bendis will use Clark for as long as he wants over in Justice League.

As far as I know, Jace isn't Batman except in his digital first book, so expect that will probably continue for a bit.

Yara Flor is probably going to be Wonder Girl for the foreseeable future, she's by all account's pretty popular and was a good enough pitch that they almost gave her her own TV show.

Again, DC isn't replacing them outright. Jon's getting the Earthbound adventures, Clark's Planet Hulking it up for a while. You're acting like they are discontinuing Clark Kent as Superman when in reality Jon's going to be running concurrently.
    Jace's Batman book ends in 4 chapters, so in 4 weeks. Then he has a 12 issue limited series.

So you're telling me you like Jon Kent as Superman, Jace Fox as Batman, Yara Flor as Wonder Girl?
    I have not read it yet, so I can only say "wait and see". I may like it, maybe not. Who knows?

Cassandra Sandsmark rarely appears now, though, and she's not even in Titans Academy. Unless she joins the clone in Suicide Squad, she's not even being mentioned.
    Hopefully she'll appear in Wonder Woman and Wonder Girl, but i agree that she need a permanent place to be on.
    Too bad they gave Young Justice to Bendis. That book should have been a success.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel Man View Post
    I have not read it yet, so I can only say "wait and see". I may like it, maybe not. Who knows?
    You haven't read The Next Batman: Second Son? I think Superman: Son of Kal-El might sell better, people don't seem to be picking up Jace's book.

Astonishing Member

I don’t see him building up Jon as a character who can stand on his own, moreso I see him bringing in Damian and other Batman characters because that’s his actual favorite franchise no matter how much he says otherwise.
    Well, it's just Damian who was confirmed. It is quite significant that as soon as Taylor announced the title, almost the first question on Twitter was about Damian. There is no getting away from this.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    Well, it's just Damian who was confirmed. It is quite significant that as soon as Taylor announced the title, almost the first question on Twitter was about Damian. There is no getting away from this.
    A lot of people want them to be together.

I’m very curious to see what the plans are for Clark on JL. Bendis did a lot of the work to get Jon set up for this status quo, so will he bringing him up to replace Clark there too? Or stick with Clark there because honestly without Clark and Diana on the JL, the team feels off. I could see it going either way.
    I mean, we (and I include myself in that as well) kind of are. We're getting literally like 5 books staring different iterations of our favorite character this summer and you'd think DC just canceled all of them with the tenor of some of these posts. I get it, I was until this morning pretty negative on this new direction. But I'm kinda happy that Taylor is getting Superman because I think that will address my biggest complaint.

Yeah, it's canon. Jon will be set on Earth in Superman. Clark's story is going off planet for what sounds like a Planet Hulk style run in Action Comics. Clark is still Superman there too. Morrison's book still looks to me to be set in the future after Worlds at War, but I suppose it could be a lead in to that. The gray hair looks to me to put it well into the future though, likely after the Future Midnighter does whatever he needs to do here to avert that future from happening.
    We are indeed a miserly bunch, aside form Batman Superman is the one with the most books. Overall I’m pretty excited for the future of the Superman franchise, all the other books sound great, I’ll give Taylor a chance on this one to prove me wrong like I did with DCeased, and maybe we might get some more standalone Superman stuff with a more traditional take from Waid (and hopefully that S&L mini down the line will get made as well).
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/