Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

newer stuff most. I dip into the old stuff occasionally but I find that, by and large, the old stuff is often super romanticized in terms of quality; so I typically just watch a YouTube video or read the wiki for older stories I wanna brush up on.

although, comics aren't really high priority entertainment for me. I'm far more Manga, Movie, and TV oriented than comics. so that probably plays into my reading habits.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Both, but mostly old at this point.

Both but I guess I read "old" more since there's of it for me to read.

Mostly old. I do read a new book every now and then.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Astonishing Member

Definitely New.

I came into reading and keeping up with Western/US comics during the New 52 DC and Marvel Now!-into-All-New-All-Different Marvel eras. And I fell in love with much of what I saw during the general time frame I entered. Such to the point that having lost many of the comic-related things I fell in love with, it's been pretty difficult. Though, I'm also up for new takes and new spins, so there have always been a number of newer examples that I've fallen in love with (and also subsequently lost, like The Immortal Men, or anything "New-Age of Superheroes" not-name The Terrifics) post New 52/Marvel Now!/All-New, All-Different Marvel.

With that said, I also have been allured by certain comics, characters, and concepts from older stuff. However, what has caught my eye tends to be stuff that aren't on "fan favorite" radars, if not outright ridiculed. While I'm a 90's kid, I didn't grow up on the typical 90's fair. (I'll take my mid-late 90's Fox Kids and Kids WB English Dubs, though, thank you.) But even not having grown up on 90's Comic stuff, I've found myself attracted to a number of different 90's aesthetics.

For example, I'm quite fond of the Bloodlines stuff, and actually genuinely would like to see them re-reexplore that and all the cool characters created for that line, heroes and villains alike. (The stark exception to this is Hitman, who I cannot stand. Fitting, then, that he's the one who "fans" like...) Another example, this one tapping into similar energies that made fans out of Tim Drake, is Mikey/Miguel Devante aka Son of Vulcan. He had that late 90's-early 2000's kinetic energy in a young protagonist, and for me, a certain something that made him super endearing and appealing. Alas, he doesn't get the admiration and fanaticism his late 90's-early 2000's peers get.

Going further back, there's something righteously raw and vicariously cathartic about Bloodwynd that makes him and his concept quite the gem. I can't help but to occasionally look back and think about how fun it'd be if he were to be used, and what stories you could mine from someone like him.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 04-25-2021 at 07:21 AM.

Astonishing Member

Mostly new, I collect a lot of old stuff to complete runs in my collection but rarely sit down to read them. I went through a lot of trouble to complete my runs of Grell's Warlord, and Dreadstar, Marvel's Micronauts and filling holes in my Green Lantern, Wolfman era Teen Titans and Legion of Super Heroes runs during the pandemic but haven't read any of them. That said there aren't many new titles I have to read when they come out: Far Sector, The Last God, American Vampire, Hellions are probably it. I just got around to starting reading The Green Lantern, because I heard Morrison reads better that way and I must admit so far I am enjoying it more than I thought I would. While I am not current on a lot of books on my pull list I get them all the same, creature of habit thing. However on a per dollar basis I am buying more old stuff because there isn't that much new stuff that I actually really like.

I've become more bored with the current DC, so I think I'll re-read some earlier books. Golden Age reprints - silver age are appealing to me more.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Mostly stuff before New 52, unless it is a author that I really love.

Currently the only new stuff that I read is Bat/Cat and Batman Black & White

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I read new books at the weekend, usually Saturday, and older stuff all other days.

While the weekend is new comics so I'm stuck with standard length (as I want to be up to date), these days I prefer to read tpbs/collections and preferably full runs. For example, last week I read all of Stumptown and before that was Mark Waid's entire 90's Flash run.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Mostly the stuff I enjoyed in my teens because comics haven't grabbed me for many years but I did just discover Future State and have bought some issues. DC has managed something that Marvel hasn't for years.