Default X-men Legends #3 Spoiler/Review Thread - The Return of the Original X-Factor!

This issue takes place before X-Factor 43

Archangel is seen fighting and decapitating Cameron Hodge while proclaiming to be Death. We then see Apocaylpse with Hodge's head and realizes he is eternal. A tells him he should have worded his deal with N'Astirah more clearly

On Ship., Jean is tending to baby Christopher. Scott tells her that Bobby and Hank took the kids to the city and they'll connect with Wolverine later. Jean goes on to recount Inferno and how Maddie and Phoenix are now in her head. Her TP is reemerging and she feels Warren's pain. As the two kiss, Ship informs them that Bobby and Hank are coming in fast. Something is wrong.

Hank and Bobby evacuate their ship and nearly hit Warren. X-Factor try to return to Ship but are locked out. Ship wont budge bc something similar happened 2 thousand years ago. Jean is pissed and wants to return to the baby.

Apocalype talks of a transformation cycle on Ship which X-Factor must stop or die. Apocalypse attaches Hodge's head to a device which allows him to speak. He says he wants mutants eradicated, especially Warren. Apocalypse reveals that he has put him in a new body

Back with X-Factor, Ship talks about reverting to its original form. X-factor make their way down to where the baby is and eventually retrieve him. Apocalypse says Ship is physically restored but outflow of info continues. He releases Hodge, whom has a score to settle. The last seen is him attacking X-Factor

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Default X-Men: Legends #3 Review

You've seen better art from Walt Simonson so brace yourselves. Apocalypse looks like he's been huffing Joker gas.

So the issue reveals that after Cameron Hodge lost his fight to Archangel (which was right before Inferno and when Candy died, I guess), Apocalypse and Caliban arrived and retrieved his head (and he wasn't dead due to his deal with the demons).

Then we flash-forward to the "present" which is before Judgement War where Jean is talking to Scott after putting his son to bed. Hank and Bobby are returning in one of Ship's pods but it blows up. After all of X-Factor assembles on Ship, they find out Ship is out of control again.

Apocalypse is watching with Caliban and Hodge and explains that Ship's reconstruction is a sign of it trying to contact its masters. Then he sweets talk Hodge into helping him.

Back with X-Factor, Ship explains that Apocalypse prevented this from happening before by damaging certain parts of Ship so X-Factor pick up Christopher and head to the central unit they need to hit. The combined powers of Scott, Jean and Warren do the trick.

The issue ends with Apocalypse giving Hodge a giant robot body and sending him to attack X-Factor.

2/5. Maybe if Walt was on his A-game it would've been better but the Nicieza/Booth story from 1 - 2 is way better than this.
    "Cable was right!"

I thought this was a charming read. the characters sounded like them back then and the art was good enough, not the best from Walt. But it was still cute enough, although some pieces were confusing.

It did not look like this story will reveal some big plot from old X-Factor, just a random story to celebrate the old times. Let's see what happens next.

I thought it was excellent. I’ve always loved the Simonsons work. Seeing a new story from this era hit me in all the right spots. Also, Walt Simonson’s Beast is my second favorite rendition (next to Perez).

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
    I thought it was excellent. I’ve always loved the Simonsons work. Seeing a new story from this era hit me in all the right spots. Also, Walt Simonson’s Beast is my second favorite rendition (next to Perez).
    X-Factor was my entry into comics, so in a way I judge all comics against the Simonsons' run, and this was not a let down. It has been 30 years (with I think only an X-Factor Forever written by Louise) since this creative team was working with this cast, and it feels like they have never stopped creating stories for them.

It was probably a little lighter on character development then the typical issue was back then, most of the scenes were nice reminders to what was going on at the time, but those character moments were completely true to the time. Sure, Walt's art could arguably use one of the great inkers he has collaborated with in the past, but his layouts and storytelling are top notch.

Probably not something most people think about these days, but Workman's lettering is a pleasure to see again and gives the book that vintage look. Martin does a great job with the colors being current but also still capturing the tone of the original.

I enjoyed this issue. It was greating having the Simonson's on an X-factor story. I am a big O5 X-factor fan. My intro to xmen was as a kid with TAS as it first aired but I quickly starting to collect the comics and aside from starting with the current X-men comics I also bought back issues of X-factor.

It was a fun little issue and that is what it was meant to be.

Im really curious about the reveal on the Ship and Apocalypse.

I relaly like that everything is done to remember the era that this was published. it is like a issue written on 80s but just now published

I loved it. I was eating it up to be honest. I wasn't expecting to love legacy so much but i think it works as a nice break from Krakoa and it builds on past advetures. I find it makes me appreciate this era (krakoan era)more. I hope this book continues well into the future.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

BANNED

This was all kinds of old school fun. I loved the art, it really had that cheesy factor while still being very detailed and fun for the story. Iceman literally throwing ice cubes was great. I love minion Caliban as well.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    Im really curious about the reveal on the Ship and Apocalypse.

I relaly like that everything is done to remember the era that this was published. it is like a issue written on 80s but just now published
    It's just adding more context as to why the arc The Judgement War happened. In the time of that arc, it seemed like the Celestials just recalled Ship for its observations on Earth but this changes that around by showing that it was actually Ship who unintentionally triggered his own recall (and that Apocalypse had been delaying the judgment of Earth).

Fantastic Member Chainsaw Vigilante's Avatar

Loved it, and that era of X-Factor may be my favorite X-universe run so it was a pleasure to revisit it.

I didn't get a chance to read this yet but does anyone know if the original Famine and War appear?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I didn't get a chance to read this yet but does anyone know if the original Famine and War appear?
    No, not in this issue. Just Caliban, so I doubt we see either of them next issue either.

This was a great read, I think Weather said it best; it was charming indeed. I loved that we got to revisit the old Simonson X-Factor days. It truly felt like it was plucked from that era.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Astonishing Member

The art didn't land for me