Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I wasn't as in awe of this book as I hoped I would be and as much as everyone else. But it has some good bits. Love the cover artists quite a bit. Hopefully they can do fill-in pencils for an arch or two.

I have to say I enjoyed the interaction between Kurt and Dr. Nemesis the most.

"You used to be fun." after some super- heroics...Yeah, he did.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    I wasn't as in awe of this book as I hoped I would be and as much as everyone else. But it has some good bits. Love the cover artists quite a bit. Hopefully they can do fill-in pencils for an arch or two.

I have to say I enjoyed the interaction between Kurt and Dr. Nemesis the most.

"You used to be fun." after some super- heroics...Yeah, he did.
    Si really gives Kurt a kicking in this issue, everyone does, Blink, Magneto (repeatedly, sometimes physically), Pixie spurns his cheese toastie... and the Crucible and mess with Lost.

He sleeps alone with his books and cuts a sad figure. The only good thing that happens is the statue reveal and that’s soured by Erik.

Kurt and Doctor Nemesis was gold!

I am assuming all this is complete deliberate and hoping he will end up in a better place, I absolutely hate Kurt being unhappy.

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whisterfield View Post
    Si really gives Kurt a kicking in this issue, everyone does, Blink, Magneto (repeatedly, sometimes physically), Pixie spurns his cheese toastie... and the Crucible and mess with Lost.

He sleeps alone with his books and cuts a sad figure. The only good thing that happens is the statue reveal and that’s soured by Erik.

Kurt and Doctor Nemesis was gold!

I am assuming all this is complete deliberate and hoping he will end up in a better place, I absolutely hate Kurt being unhappy.
    I hate seeing Kurt unhappy too and it really feels like he's being ostracized right now, but I think that's the point. Even on Krakoa he is still the different among the different. It feels in character for me that Kurt can't help being horrified and unhappy with people devaluing their own lives and experiences with cheap death as he values life so much; and when he tries to be fun, it's fake bravado to make others happy. I think you've said before about 'Nightcrawler' being the persona, I think Kurt's finding it hard to put on that mask.

Just listening to an interview with Si:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN1EK4tQ1Es

Sounds like Way of X was meant to come out sooner and was to be launched using Apocalypses crucible as a springboard. But it got delayed due to Lock down.

(edit: Wow Si is just giving away characters that are going to appear in this book)
    Last edited by Proxy; 04-22-2021 at 03:36 PM.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Makes a lot of sense. I'd be much less cranky about this era if this replaced Excalibur or the like

Incredible Member

It was just what I hoped it might be. Unsettling, troubling and dark.

Thankfully it is less the formation of a religion, in the traditional sense, more a kind of exploration of what might be the things that form a set of beliefs.

This was a great first issue, I found it fascinating. I'm looking forward to the next issue, Kurt is going to discover all kinds of things in the shadows.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    Makes a lot of sense. I'd be much less cranky about this era if this replaced Excalibur or the like
    Why does it have to replace any book?
    GrindrStone(D)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Why does it have to replace any book?
    Probably cause they think Excalibur is bad and wished they were reading Way of X from the very beginning instead?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Proxy View Post
    Just listening to an interview with Si:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN1EK4tQ1Es

Sounds like Way of X was meant to come out sooner and was to be launched using Apocalypses crucible as a springboard. But it got delayed due to Lock down.

(edit: Wow Si is just giving away characters that are going to appear in this book)
    That makes so much sense. It was probably supposed to drop sometime before of after XoS let's not forget that XoS was supposed to be a smaller event before the pandemic.

Fantastic Member Chainsaw Vigilante's Avatar

Nightcrawler's too good and pure for the weird cult that Krakoan society has become. I wish he were palling around with Excalibur away from Krakoa.

Makes sense that Spurrier brings Legion back, if someone was going to address him I'm glad it's Spurrier.

Astonishing Member

I thought this was one of the best comics Ive read in years
    Spurrier is really good at this
    I was surprised by how good it was because I thought it would be very hard to pull it off successfully, it's a pretty ambitious concept

I liked the whole book except the end. Felt too much like Age of Xman or whatever it was called, the art too. The reveal should’ve been more subtle and creepy without all the extra...

Fantastic Member

I found it interesting how Kurt was so troubled by other people's dismissive behavior that he himself easily dismissed Lost.

It is also interesting, how Crucible was shown as helpful, pointless and interesting at the same time. Nemesis's theory about Crucible's effect on mutant procreation made it more interesting. While Lost showed why some mutants are ready to die, if it would help them regain their powers. Both Aero and Callisto could still live pretty normal lives without powers, so it wasn't clear why they were so eager to toss their lives aside to regain powers. But to Lost - losing her powers meant living in constant pain. Although it is strange that she was resurrected with elongated body; if I understand correctly, her elongation was caused by lack of gravity effect on her body during her life. So, if her body was recreated from scratch, then it should have been normal. On the other hand, Pixie's death and immediate resurrection made Crucible look pointless. Why some people need to go through brutal beating to earn their resurrection, while other could die for fun, and yet both would be resurrected at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by Harasar View Post
    I found it interesting how Kurt was so troubled by other people's dismissive behavior that he himself easily dismissed Lost.

It is also interesting, how Crucible was shown as helpful, pointless and interesting at the same time. Nemesis's theory about Crucible's effect on mutant procreation made it more interesting. While Lost showed why some mutants are ready to die, if it would help them regain their powers. Both Aero and Callisto could still live pretty normal lives without powers, so it wasn't clear why they were so eager to toss their lives aside to regain powers. But to Lost - losing her powers meant living in constant pain. Although it is strange that she was resurrected with elongated body; if I understand correctly, her elongation was caused by lack of gravity effect on her body during her life. So, if her body was recreated from scratch, then it should have been normal. On the other hand, Pixie's death and immediate resurrection made Crucible look pointless. Why some people need to go through brutal beating to earn their resurrection, while other could die for fun, and yet both would be resurrected at the same time?
    They can’t help that the youth of Krakoa have chosen to make a mockery of the protocols but I agree there should be a penalty for what seemed to be assisted suicide with Pixie while others have died in battle defending Krakoa and are lost. But crucible is a way for what is essentially a human to be brought back to “mutantdom” and have the gift of eternal life. They are humans when Krakoa is founded so they are not apart of the society until they go through the crucible. Kinda like a gang initiation. Pixie is a mutant so she has all the rights of Krakoa, humans that aren’t don’t until they do...

I'm still hoping Wanda pops up down the road. Spurrier gave a nuanced answer about her. I can't see Kurt buying into the Pretender bs.