Spectacular Member

Default How to read Hickman's X-Men

I apologize if this isn't the right place for this question. I enjoyed the collected House of X/Powers of X and now am wondering how to move forward. It looks like individual titles are collected in trades, but there is also "the Dawn of X" volumes. Is it better to do the Dawn of X/Reign of X to get the full story in order, jumping from title to title? Or am I better off buying the trades by title?

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Hickmans stuff always reads best in trades because issue to issue it can feel an awful slog.

Extraordinary Member

Very little seems to connect between the different titles so there is no benefit to reading them in a specific order, and if you feel like going back and reading a particular title I would think having the individual trades would be easier.

There might be something about the way the trades are coming out that might matter, for example I think the Dawn of X trades seem to be behind the other trades, but on the other hand I don't know what trade is collecting X-Men #20 and #21.

I'd say better off to buy the trades by title. Barring X of Swords, which is a crossover, the titles may have some overall interconnection, sharing side characters that are not part of the main team making guest appearances, but more straightforwardly the books have their own storylines, with the except of X-Men, which reads more like a lot of one-shots as it's planting a lot of seeds that will show up in other books in time, or may just be general world building. Additionally the books definitely vary in terms of quality. No need to get bogged down in a disappointing book like.....er...I'll be nice and not name it....when the storyline isn't core to the other books. The problem is with that one of course, that book's lead up is core to X-of Swords. But there are other examples in variety of quality. Not all the books are my thing, they don't all grab me like some do, and I don't mind skipping some and just having my mind imaginatively fill in the blank with other book references.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nash View Post
    No need to get bogged down in a disappointing book like.....er...I'll be nice and not name it...
    spoilers:
    Fallen Angels?
    end of spoilers
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    Hickmans stuff always reads best in trades because issue to issue it can feel an awful slog.
    I'd argue this is the case for modern comics. I don't like too read trades so I just wait until arc is done before reading them.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NoDakFan View Post
    I apologize if this isn't the right place for this question. I enjoyed the collected House of X/Powers of X and now am wondering how to move forward. It looks like individual titles are collected in trades, but there is also "the Dawn of X" volumes. Is it better to do the Dawn of X/Reign of X to get the full story in order, jumping from title to title? Or am I better off buying the trades by title?
    The Dawn of X trades are every title by release date.

So you can read HOX/POX then 16 volumes of Dawn of X and then X of Swords.

This is great if you want to read all the titles however it can get confusing since some titles do not pick until 2 or 3 trades later.

The individual trades are good if you only like Hickman or a particular team, which I believe are only 2 trades worth between HOX/PPX and X of Swords.

So you can read HOX/POX 2 volumes of Hickman's X-men and then X of Swords

Now remember if you do this there may be some story elements that were established in other titles for example something major happened in X-Force issue one that is addressed later in X-Men

Start with house of x/powers of x. Then read the dawn of x series or whichever titles you fancy. Then read x of swords. We are in reign of x now. Hope that helps!