Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Way of X 1 Review/spoilers Playing Make Believe

Okay, have at it, let’s get this party started.

This starts with the teleporting raid on the Orchis training facility in Venice.
    Kurt, Blink, DJ, Loa and Pixie are on a scouting mission.

On Krakoa, Chuck wakes from a nightmare involving a shadowy figure.
    He psi-speaks briefly with Kurt.

The teleport team find the Orchis facility training mutant hating disciples. It’s a cathedral of hate, the place is full of statues of mutant villains, including Dark Phoenix, Mystique and Magneto.
    The kid’s discuss dying, equating it to losing their virginity and The Patchwork Man, a Krakoan boogie man.

The infiltration is discovered, Pixie dusts them then, as the teleporters retreat, decides to lose her resurrection cherry, to the horror of Kurt and the delight of DJ, Loa and Blink.

Krakoa.
    Kurt has summoned Magneto to the Green Lagoon.
    He has ‘liberated’ Orchis statue of Mags.
    Magneto gives a rather pompous speech to the cheers of the inebriated denizens of the bar (lots of little cameos, Jean, Bobby, Piotr, Sean, Logan, Jubilee, Alison) about what Krakoa can achieve. He remodels the nukes in his statue into a pyramid (is this A Clue? A tesseract?).
    Kurt follows him out, Erik mocks his beliefs and they discuss an impending crucible, which Kurt calls murder.
    As Mags flies off, Kurt is approached by a visibly mutated person, asking for his help as they are lost. Kurt, distracted and troubled by Erik, dismisses them by telling them to go to the Krakoa reception habitat who will help them.

Later that evening, Kurt is watching Exodus’teaching’ Krakoan children about The Pretender and Crucible. The Patchwork man is mentioned again.
    Kurt notices he’s being followed, it’s Doctor Nemesis, they spar, mostly verbally, it’s highly amusing. Dr N is also dismissive of Kurt’s religion but they seem to gel more than him and Erik.

They go to The Crucible, where Magneto is demolishing the gamma mutant who spoke with Kurt earlier, she isn’t doing well against him. She collapses against where Kurt is standing, sees heim. She wanted Kurt to kill her in the Crucible, as he is one of the kind ones and would put her out of her misery. Kurt is horrified. And as he tells Dr N, even more horrified by the braying ranks of mutants watching the woman’s death. Dr N also has things to say about Crucible, in a very interesting datapage.

Kurt attends the unknown mutant’s resurrection. He worries over the adulation of the five.
    She has antigravity ability when resurrected, which gives her an attenuated skeleton. It also makes Xavier, the Five and everyone nearby severe nausea. Except DrN, because he’s a smug git and Kurt, because he’s an acrobat, duh.

Pixie is up next for resurrection, she’s met by Loa, DJ and Blink, she’s not interested in Kurt’s cheese toastie (no, really).

Charles finishes his conversation from page one with Kurt. He wants Kurt to check out the Patchwork Man, they both have a strong idea who it might be. Kurt seems to be living in the bifurcated tower, he gets a nightmare similar to Charles.

Kurt goes to visit Blindfold, Ruth’s grave, with a Krakoan flower, an where he is assaulted by David, Legion who knows he’s there at his father’s behest.

And that’s issue one. There are lots of interesting datapages too.

That was clever stuff, quite a ride!
    Last edited by Su_Whisterfield; 04-21-2021 at 10:54 AM.

You certainly work fast.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    You certainly work fast.
    Faster then the Krakoan devil

Astonishing Member

Finaly somone asking the questions we all wanted. Justice for blind fold

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    Finaly somone asking the questions we all wanted. Justice for blind fold
    But will it be Legion who seek it out or Kurt?

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    But will it be Legion who seek it out or Kurt?
    Or both of them?

It totally makes sense that the X-teens would indulge in this reckless behavior knowing that there's consequences to their actions.

Really looking forward to the drama Legion's about to start.

#JusticeForRuth

BANNED

Was a great issue. It was perhaps refreshing over the last few months. I can see why Logan dejected the whole idea of the crucible. I hope he appears in this book. Good to see Legion as well.

Gotta say, that scene with the teens talking about dying as if it’s a video game really makes me dislike the resurrection protocol. Even if you are functionally immortal, death shouldn’t be treated like a game. Plus across the X-Books, it seems characters and writers don’t treat death seriously. The resurrection protocol should be a last resort, not the go to extra lives cheat code.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Gotta say, that scene with the teens talking about dying as if it’s a video game really makes me dislike the resurrection protocol. Even if you are functionally immortal, death shouldn’t be treated like a game. Plus across the X-Books, it seems characters and writers don’t treat death seriously. The resurrection protocol should be a last resort, not the go to extra lives cheat code.
    Well we live in the tide pod era or lick the toilet seat era. So I mean its not too far off.

Yes I know death is way more extreme. But kids really latch on to stupid stuff.
    Last edited by CGAR; 04-21-2021 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    It's good to have the problems in the overreliance of the revival process and resulting cavalier attitude towards dying
    Good gawd I love words and thank you so so much for reminding of this one, Grunty.
    Cavalier. SUCH a good word and SO appropriate for this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Well we live in the tide pod era or lick the toilet seat era. So I mean its not too far off.

Yes I know death is way more extreme. But kids really latch on to stupid stuff.
    omg the TRUTH of this post. hahaha
    Truly. I feel there are a lot of themes and happenings going on in this era that have a lot of readers shook -- because its wrenching people out of their comfort zones -- and so we see a lot of "how could they??" and "this isn't right!" which is deeeeply fascinating since right and wrong are subjective concepts that vary from person to person. Fifty Shades of Morality vs Ethics ect etc.
    As unsettling as it may be to witness Pixie and company so casually dismissive of dying -- given the reality of their current existence and all the luxuries and assurances it affords it REALLY makes a lot of sense. Kurt is deeply unsettled. "This isn't right" but again, given everything happening around him the question truly does become "why not?"

I'm so very into the depths this title is going to mine. Who says comics can't be deep.