Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    I think the point is that the immortality basically only lasts as long as the five can use their powers to being people back, making them a weak point if they're attacked and someone manages to kill one or more of them
    I disagree. The only member of the 5 who has unique powers is Goldball. Every other one could be replaced with another mutant.

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    I disagree. The only member of the 5 who has unique powers is Goldball. Every other one could be replaced with another mutant.
    Hope can not be easily replaced. She's pretty key to the Resurrection process

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    Get a virus on the cerebro back ups and it is over
    well that has nothing to do with the Five dying as thats a concern regardless. Should that happen, Magik could theoretically go back in time and bring back units pre-corruption

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Hope can not be easily replaced. She's pretty key to the Resurrection process

well that has nothing to do with the Five dying as thats a concern regardless. Should that happen, Magik could theoretically go back in time and bring back units pre-corruption
    So wy she didn't do it to recover gorgon and rockslide back ups?

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    So wy she didn't do it to recover gorgon and rockslide back ups?
    The issue with them is that they died in Otherworld. Had Magik gone back in time to get an older Cerebro, the same thing that happened to the other backups, would happen to this one. Cerebro wasnt corrupted when they died; that only happened when Charles tried to initiate the mind transfer

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Re: Stacy X: If Kurt can renew a relationship, the work type as they have been on the same team together I would love some sort of awkward convo about what happened between them (uncreepy) before perhaps developing a friendship.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I'm still hoping Wanda pops up down the road. Spurrier gave a nuanced answer about her. I can't see Kurt buying into the Pretender bs.
    I think that is unavoidable, though to me that sounds like another AvX only how it plays out is anyone's guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Doom'nGloom View Post
    I don't buy this whole "conquering death" rhetoric as it literally hinges on 5 specific mutants. If somehow Goldballs gets killed what then? Young mutants goading Pixie into suicide is absolutely disgusting even if it is temporary. I'm glad Nightcrawler is the one questioning this whole madness. This is a great start, easily 10/10.
    I believe they have contingencies in place for that scenario. If any recall, they had a plan in case Xavier got whacked (which he did) and during King In Black, they show a plan to ensure SOME mutants survive with the Five taking priority over all else.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    One thing I do like about Crucible is the idea of inviting someone else to do it. Much better than just throwing everyone against the wall that is Apocalypse.
    I'm a bit on the opposite end in regards to that, i mean when they reveal that woman wanted Kurt to be the one to do it i felt both glad it wasn't him and a bit disturbed by someone asking him to kill in what i feel is more akin to a bloodsport, broke my heart watching poor Kurt as the crowd cheers the brutality.

As for Wanda being the "pretender" didn't he try to help her once at the school when he just returned to the X-Men after coming back to life? Believe me I didn't really understand it, despite all the talk of Kurt not being as teeth-knashing about Wanda he was still there for what happened and it was part of the reason he died. Saving Hope, to them at the time was the one chance to bring back mutants after the "genocide."

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Couple of things I forgot to mention earlier:

Dr. Nemesis says, "In the absence of a truly remarkable mind expander to rapture us all out of this pigsty of a dimension..."

This is too specific to be a throwaway line. Is this the endgame for mutants? And is Legion the one to usher in the rapture? I have a feeling it's David and not Kurt that will be leading the new "religion."

Also, if David isn't the Patchwork Man, could it be...

LUCA ALDINE?!

-Pav, who'd love to see his return...
    Well, it makes more sense for him to say "Brain Farts" than Kurt, though i also can't picture him writing a Bible if that is what were are reading in the course of the book. Though, it could be one of his alternate personalities/powers doing it.

Who is Luca Aldine and how are they connected to Legion?

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    Well, it makes more sense for him to say "Brain Farts" than Kurt, though i also can't picture him writing a Bible if that is what were are reading in the course of the book. Though, it could be one of his alternate personalities/powers doing it.

Eh. Kurt has used americanisms before for growing up on American culture in a wagon as well as living here a long time. Though, I can't see that being a regular part of his every day vocabulary though I can see him saying that to be funny or because he's surrounded by teens. Still its easier if its Legion.

Extraordinary Member

Luca Aldine is Blindfolds brother, and a character created by Spurrier. I only know this because I stumbled across it scouring Legion personalities for possible suspects and it makes me want to read that X-Men Legacy volume.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doom'nGloom View Post
    I don't buy this whole "conquering death" rhetoric as it literally hinges on 5 specific mutants. If somehow Goldballs gets killed what then? Young mutants goading Pixie into suicide is absolutely disgusting even if it is temporary. I'm glad Nightcrawler is the one questioning this whole madness. This is a great start, easily 10/10.
    I believe they have contingencies in place for that scenario. If any recall, they had a plan in case Xavier got whacked (which he did) and during King In Black, they show a plan to ensure SOME mutants survive with the Five taking priority over all else.
    Arguably the biggest weakness is not the five, but Cerebro.

If we look at the whole process and consider it's part, the Five are actualy relatively unimportant. Since all they do is create exact physical replicas of the dead people's bodies. This is by the standard of the marvel universe nothing truely impressive. Cloning technology is dime a dozen in this fictional universe and it can go from classic machinery to organic "flesh printers". Some beings or factions can even construct exact replica bodies with less

Considering that they have given Proteus "hollow" Xavier bodies for a while before the Five were even used for the first time, it indicates that they had old fashioned cloning tech set up for a while allready.

Nothing the five do is truely groundbreaking, the only important part is that it's "mutant technology", that it's the mutants own little thing, they think nobody else can do like they do. Which can be seen as just throwning the Five into the spotlight as a distraction for the mutant population.
    It's all for show. It's the classic magicians trick of showing something flashy or interesting to distract the viewers from the hand movements which do the trick.

Because what is truely important in all of this is Cererbo.

Cerebro stores the memories which make the replicated/cloned body the "original" again. It also somehow transfers the "soul" of the dead person from where ever it goes after death, back into the newly created body.

Without Cerebro all the Five can do is create soulless (lifeless?) husks. Newborn babies with adult bodies. Empty shells, that need to be filled or will beginn to fill by themself into entirely different people.

So the true weakpoint of the Resurection Protocol is not the five, that's just the machines for the bodies, but Cerebro. A piece of old fashioned (alien) technology, which requires a mutant's powers to work, but being apparently absolutely necessary for the mutant to do the important task.

Which means that if we have to pinpoint where the whole "conquered death" rethoric falls appart is that their "immortality" does not come natural to them, it's not from their own powers, it's from an old fashioned piece of technology only certain mutants can use and even fewer can actualy create.

Truely immortal characters in the marvel universe come back by their own power. They don't need machines or foreign help to come back. Can these "common" mutants do that? As far as we can see no. They are utterly mortal without using this technology. So their rethoric reeks of hubris.

The interesting part is that we as readers were never really told how exactly this Cerebro memory storage functions, because Hox/Pox made such a big deal out of the Five. We know all the fine details of how they create the bodies. But Cerebro was quickly glossed over. Which brings us back to the above mentioned magicians trick.

The fact that all five backup cerebros can somehow be attacked at the same time (as seen in Ten of Swords) is quite a red flag to how others, especialy those who know how it works, could switch off all the mutants "immortality" that way too. Leaving them with nothing but hollow clone bodies.
    Last edited by Grunty; 04-23-2021 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Luca Aldine is Blindfolds brother, and a character created by Spurrier. I only know this because I stumbled across it scouring Legion personalities for possible suspects and it makes me want to read that X-Men Legacy volume.
    Luca Aldine was not only Blindfold's brother and one of the major villains of Spurrier's ABSOLUTELY AMAZING run of X-Men: Legacy, but he also...

1) First showed up as a pair of eyeballs
    2) Seems to be able to take powers and body parts from people
    3) hates mutants
    and
    4) wrote a religious text

The more I think about it, the more he makes sense as the Patchwork Man.

-Pav, who hopes he's remembering the details correctly...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Arguably the biggest weakness is not the five, but Cerebro.

If we look at the whole process and consider it's part, the Five are actualy relatively unimportant. Since all they do is create exact physical replicas of the dead people's bodies. This is by the standard of the marvel universe nothing truely impressive. Cloning technology is dime a dozen in this fictional universe and it can go from classic machinery to organic "flesh printers". Some beings or factions can even construct exact replica bodies with less

Considering that they have given Proteus "hollow" Xavier bodies for a while before the Five were even used for the first time, it indicates that they had old fashioned cloning tech set up for a while allready.

Nothing the five do is truely groundbreaking, the only important part is that it's "mutant technology", that it's the mutants own little thing, they think nobody else can do like they do. Which can be seen as just throwning the Five into the spotlight as a distraction for the mutant population.
    It's all for show. It's the classic magicians trick of showing something flashy or interesting to distract the viewers from the hand movements which do the trick.

Because what is truely important in all of this is Cererbo.

Cerebro stores the memories which make the replicated/cloned body the "original" again. It also somehow transfers the "soul" of the dead person from where ever it goes after death, back into the newly created body.

Without Cerebro all the Five can do is create soulless (lifeless?) husks. Newborn babies with adult bodies. Empty shells, that need to be filled or will beginn to fill by themself into entirely different people.

So the true weakpoint of the Resurection Protocol is not the five, that's just the machines for the bodies, but Cerebro. A piece of old fashioned (alien) technology, which requires a mutant's powers to work, but being apparently absolutely necessary for the mutant to do the important task.

Which means that if we have to pinpoint where the whole "conquered death" rethoric falls appart is that their "immortality" does not come natural to them, it's not from their own powers, it's from an old fashioned piece of technology only certain mutants can use and even fewer can actualy create.

Truely immortal characters in the marvel universe come back by their own power. They don't need machines or foreign help to come back. Can these "common" mutants do that? As far as we can see no. They are utterly mortal without using this technology. So their rethoric reeks of hubris.

The interesting part is that we as readers were never really told how exactly this Cerebro memory storage functions, because Hox/Pox made such a big deal out of the Five. We know all the fine details of how they create the bodies. But Cerebro was quickly glossed over. Which brings us back to the above mentioned magicians trick.

The fact that all five backup cerebros can somehow be attacked at the same time (as seen in Ten of Swords) is quite a red flag to how others, especialy those who know how it works, could switch off all the mutants "immortality" that way too. Leaving them with nothing but hollow clone bodies.
    ...damn, now that leaves an impression doesn't it?