Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617
    Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whisterfield View Post
    I think, from Dr Nemesis script, she developed her attenuated skeleton while she had her powers, lost them, which crippled her and in the Crucible she just stands up from the painful huddle she’s been in during the rest of the book.
    I was more interested in that even after her restoration, her powers were still not under control, causing the unfortunate side effects. I thought Chuck and The Five restored mutants to their peak performance?
    They restore mutants to their peak physically speaking but they still have to train to get control and skill over their powers, that´s why they have the
    Akademos Habitat where mutants can train with their powers.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Astonishing Member

I think, from Dr Nemesis script, she developed her attenuated skeleton while she had her powers, lost them, which crippled her and in the Crucible she just stands up from the painful huddle she’s been in during the rest of the book.
    I was more interested in that even after her restoration, her powers were still not under control, causing the unfortunate side effects. I thought Chuck and The Five restored mutants to their peak performance?
    Well it is possible, but they missed an opportunity mentioning this directly in a footnote, though Nemesis is always too proud of his craft to admit it would be inadequate and crucible is the better option, as he seems pretty amused by the whole spectacle and its purpose.To me it kind of looks like an editorial error though.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    Well it is possible, but they missed an opportunity mentioning this directly in a footnote, though Nemesis is always too proud of his craft to admit it would be inadequate and crucible is the better option, as he seems pretty amused by the whole spectacle and its purpose.To me it kind of looks like an editorial error though.
    I don't know if there was enough to know exactly how depowering worked, but some mutants retained some physical traits from their time as a mutant, such as Blob still having all the skin he had with his size, but no longer having the internal mass that it was shaped to. Lost had physical features due to her environment, which was one that was under the effect of her mutant power, so she still retained those feature even though she did not have the power to create the environment in which she could thrive.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I don't know if there was enough to know exactly how depowering worked, but some mutants retained some physical traits from their time as a mutant, such as Blob still having all the skin he had with his size, but no longer having the internal mass that it was shaped to. Lost had physical features due to her environment, which was one that was under the effect of her mutant power, so she still retained those feature even though she did not have the power to create the environment in which she could thrive.
    I get your explanation, and I don't mind fiction testing credulity, but those cases of body out of anatomic proportion due to mutation ,should not be functioning at all once mutation is gone.It's like saying a boneless person walks because they manipulate gravity..but if they can no longer manipulate gravity it is implausible to have any meaningful movement let alone body function.It would be better off showing her in a wheel chair than what they did.Anyway it's fiction so we must focus on our blind spots
    Last edited by Rev9; 04-28-2021 at 04:09 PM.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    Mercury was always my favorite of that gen.

I'll try not to focus on how Kurt may act in issue three. Si said Stacy is involved in Kurt's story so maybe she uses her powers or she urges him to let his hair down. Hopefully its more for humor than making him look bad like some are suggesting. I'm glad that since Stacy X is in a NC focused book that he and her will actually interact and they should. I always felt things were too left up in the air with them.

Edit: That was meant to be Mercury was always one of my favorites from that gen.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    They restore mutants to their peak physically speaking but they still have to train to get control and skill over their powers, that´s why they have the
    Akademos Habitat where mutants can train with their powers.
    They also don't fix problems..like for whatever reason, they resurrect Cyclops with the brain damage that keeps him from controlling his optic blasts (I mean, they don't get any super healers to heal that either, despite it being done in X-Men/Alpha Flight thru healing magic)
    Static Pulse: That's why I like you. You're like four degrees away from being a William Gibson protagonist.
    Old board post count: 2,089

Quote Originally Posted by Scavenger View Post
    They also don't fix problems..like for whatever reason, they resurrect Cyclops with the brain damage that keeps him from controlling his optic blasts (I mean, they don't get any super healers to heal that either, despite it being done in X-Men/Alpha Flight thru healing magic)
    If I'm not mistaken, wasn't it revealed (during Whedon's Astonishing run maybe?!) that Cyclops' inability to control his powers is more psychological than physical in nature?

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, wasn't it revealed (during Whedon's Astonishing run maybe?!) that Cyclops' inability to control his powers is more psychological than physical in nature?
    oh, certainly could be. But even then that's a fixable thing given all the telepaths and brain editing possible (I mean, the real reason is because mutants gotta angst)
    Static Pulse: That's why I like you. You're like four degrees away from being a William Gibson protagonist.
    Old board post count: 2,089

Hickman already commented in an interview that cases like Cyclops or Chamber were part of the mystery of how resurrections work.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Hickman already commented in an interview that cases like Cyclops or Chamber were part of the mystery of how resurrections work.
    lololol well played, Mr. Hickman. Well, played.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Way of X 1 gets second printing.
    Cover is a colour variant of the first printing, I really, really like it.
    I guess a lot of people were looking for a book turning a critical eye on Love Island.

ED567C50-546C-4730-8771-877AE647843A.jpg

Way of X 1 gets second printing.
    Cover is a colour variant of the first printing, I really, really like it.
    I guess a lot of people were looking for a book turning a critical eye on Love Island.

ED567C50-546C-4730-8771-877AE647843A.jpg
    Def getting this.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    Def getting this.
    It’s gorgeous, isn’t it!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    The situation with Blob and his left over skin was actualy something which allready happend 5 years before in a 3 part story, where the High Evolutionary was putting Earth in a depowering field, canceling every mutants powers too.
    But in those cases everyone reverted slowly to normal human appearance, regardless of what ever their powers involved an altered appearance (like Nightcrawler, Toad, or Mystique) or caused their appearance to be altered as a side effect (like Blob or Marrow).

Eventualy Blob's skin slimmed down to normal human and Marrow's extra bones withered away. Which is an interesting contrast to what happend to either of them at M-Day.

Something which was repeated at M-day however are the deaths of certain mutants who had depended on their powers to live in certain environments like underwater. But it seems none of them were stuck in an abnormal form they couldn't sustain anymore, instead reverting to a default human appearance and dying because of that.

However unlike M-Day this wasn't something which seemed to have happend a lot around the world, but mostly an isolated case of The Neo, who's entire culture revolved around living where their mutant powers would give them the biggest advantage. Which means that there was much less "trauma" of massive deaths, than there would later be during M-Day and it was mostly about losing what defined them.
    Which is particular interesting since at the time the mutant population around the world still involved Genosha and it's (later stated) 16 million.

Overall it's interesting to compare this short storyline with the later large scale event that was Decimation and how different their impacts were, mostly because the people in charge wanted a different form of impact. One was just a short storyline, the other was the designated direction for the comics over the comming years.

If i had to give an explanation for these different results on mutants with abnormal appearance, it would be that because High Evolutionaries' field did not remove the X-gene, it triggered something like a soft "factory reset" for mutants.
    If a mutant's powers were to alter them into a different state the X-gene would go "whoops gotta revert this back to default" (as seen with Toad and Mystique), while mutants who's appearance was altered because of a side effect their powers created it would go "time to remove this excess material and leave a clean slate".
    All because the X-gene was still there and active, but working in reverse.

So in the old storyline Lost would have slowly started to revert into a normal human form again, her bones shrinking and becoming sturdy again and her muscles and skin doing the same.

However since "No More Mutants" essentialy janked the X-gene out of every mutant affected, this reboot process was never triggered, leaving everyone in the state they had been.

The only problem with this explanation would be that some mutants did infact "revert to factory settings" safely even in Decimation, which makes no sense when the X-gene was suddently removed. So it's not a perfect explanation and i can only blame lazy editorial.

Because there seems to have been lack of coordination between the writers and how they would display the effect of the depowering on different types of altered mutants.
    In one comic a mutant who was a giant lizard might turn into a normal human again, in another a mutant who looks like a dragon would stuck in that form and die from not being able to controll the body with his human mind anymore.
    Last edited by Grunty; 04-30-2021 at 01:32 PM.