Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Gotta say, that scene with the teens talking about dying as if it’s a video game really makes me dislike the resurrection protocol. Even if you are functionally immortal, death shouldn’t be treated like a game. Plus across the X-Books, it seems characters and writers don’t treat death seriously. The resurrection protocol should be a last resort, not the go to extra lives cheat code.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    The Crucible here under Magneto was brutal and seemed excessive in its violence. Apocalypse kill seemed far less gratuitous
    If I recall, Apoc was just an unmovable wall that mutants fought till their last breath. Mags is like Bastion or Super Sentinel Bearing dwn on them.

Like Apoc was the inevitable death while Mags was Death being Forced like Murder.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

This book was basically made for me
    Dig it.

Though kind of a reach that people think "guy who walks on water" is apparently totally ridiculous, says the flying magnet man

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

The two Crucible matches seem equally brutal to me, the only real difference between the two was the framing and the fact that Aero was more able bodied than Lost is.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Review here with some interesting points too.
    https://www.comicsxf.com/2021/04/21/...in-way-of-x-1/

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    The two Crucible matches seem equally brutal to me, the only real difference between the two was the framing and the fact that Aero was more able bodied than Lost is.
    Yeah it's not like the first time was any less violent or horrifying, it was just written framed as not being that way.

Spectacular Member

I'm surprised that Pixie's actions weren't punished or at least reprimanded. It's one thing to die or get killed, its another thing to die for the lulz. While she can be resurrected it wastes a slot for someone else who legitimately needs to be resurrected - still a waste of finite resources.

Interesting that they've brought back the point about Blindfold. That was one loose end that I legitimately thought they forgot about.

I'll be frank I would much rather this book have been one of the earlier launches over say, Excalibur

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    I'll be frank I would much rather this book have been one of the earlier launches over say, Excalibur
    I think they might have had Si Spurrier in mind for this and might have been waiting for him to be free?
    Plus Covid didn’t help.

Me too, this book gets in the philosophy slot and I like characters to question, “Is what we are doing any different than what humans have done for thousands of years?”. Yes we have a form of immortality, but do we hold the value of life the same. I lol at the fact Xavier said mutants upgraded morality when they have actually back been slowly tracking.
    “There is no defense against the Scarlet Witch's HEX!

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    Yeah I wanna say this too. Not sure why i went for flowery language for difference.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Astonishing Member

It's good to have the problems in the overreliance of the revival process and resulting cavalier attitude towards dying in the current era adressed.

I still think the whole thing is not going to last long beyond Hickman's run (or even still during it), or become normality in the long run for the X-men comics, because as far as i can see it clashes with super hero comic worlds needing to reflect our own and not being allowed to divert too much from it (hence Reed can never give everyone solar powered flying cars) and that it's unsustainable for stories in the long run.
    It would be better if it's removed/restricted softly by the creator, than clumsily destroyed by editorial mandate down the line.

But adressing it's potential short commings also means it can perhaps still be used in future stories albeit in a much more restrictive and per case basis i think. Though hopefully after they got enough mutants brought back in order to get rid of the extinction setting for good.

Also good to see the memory gap brought up and what it means for who the person that died vs. the person who is brought back is.

And while we are at questioning, it will be interesting if someone will eventualy also point out that the most important part of resurection process, isn't "mutant technology" but something made from traditional (albeit alien) technology, which means it's something that can both be manipulated by those who know it and can come with unforseeable issues.

Actualy Cerebro itself allready went rogue back in the 90. and Danger gained full sentience. Both also made from Shi'ar technology used carelessly used by mutants...

I mentioned it in the other thread, but the blind trust in everything about Krakoa also starts to remind me to the Industrial Revolution and the early 20th century in which great strides in production and science resulted in a lot of "old ways" being abandoned (for good and bad), while new great technologies and ideas were introduced which could do just as much harm as good (sometimes even only harm). Especialy when used carelessly or without having investigated the long term effects.

How fitting it would be for mutants to repeat these mistakes of humanity all over again, because of a blind faith in their ways above the "old ways" of humanity, to the point of ignorance. Because they are still humans after all, what ever they or their enemies want to admit it.

Good thing a very human mutant is questioning it.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    The Crucible here under Magneto was brutal and seemed excessive in its violence. Apocalypse kill seemed far less gratuitous
    It's a bid odd Exodus didn't took over the whole thing seeing how he could just continue where Apocalypse left off and allready has the potentialy to be Kurt's philosophical opponent in terms of religion and teachings.
    Last edited by Grunty; 04-21-2021 at 12:06 PM.

I think it makes a lot of sense that it was a later launch. Krakoan customs and traditions needed to be fully established, and we, as readers, needed to see the moral issues with those customs and ask questions before we could really understand why Kurt would have these thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Gotta say, that scene with the teens talking about dying as if it’s a video game really makes me dislike the resurrection protocol. Even if you are functionally immortal, death shouldn’t be treated like a game. Plus across the X-Books, it seems characters and writers don’t treat death seriously. The resurrection protocol should be a last resort, not the go to extra lives cheat code.
    Well we live in the tide pod era or lick the toilet seat era. So I mean its not too far off.

Yes I know death is way more extreme. But kids really latch on to stupid stuff.
    Last edited by CGAR; 04-21-2021 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealWashout View Post
    I think it makes a lot of sense that it was a later launch. Krakoan customs and traditions needed to be fully established, and we, as readers, needed to see the moral issues with those customs and ask questions before we could really understand why Kurt would have these thoughts.
    I mean I understand why Kurt would have these thoughts because like 99% of what he's said have been my takes since I first joined the board