Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    ♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

Magneto full of bonhomie to his old colleague Peeps was delicious

So was Chuck getting all flirty.

Ultimate Member

So I haven't met a bunch of Spaniards, but based on Cortez and Empath/de la Rocha, they seem to be blonde aristocratic dicks.

Maybe mix it up for the next one and have them be a *brunette* upper 1% social class, bottom 1% psycho jerk?
    Last edited by Sutekh; 04-25-2021 at 01:31 AM.

Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    So I haven't met a bunch of Spaniards, but based on Cortez and Empath/de la Rocha, they seem to be blonde aristocratic dicks.

Maybe mix it up for the next one and have them be a *brunette* upper 1% social class, bottom 1% psycho jerk?
    Problem being that neither started out as blondes.
    My flag is bacon.

1) I thought these forums vanished years ago. I was surprised to find it in a google search for a place to discuss this issue. Was it resurrected by Krakoa and the Five?
    2) I get that Cortez is a bad guy...but I'm a bit..not liking how he's treated by the "good guys". They're nice to Sinister, and the various Hellions and every other scum bag mutant....but Charles, Ororo, and Kurt are particularly...unforgiving of him.
    3) What as that last page? The big pit of...marbles?
    Static Pulse: That's why I like you. You're like four degrees away from being a William Gibson protagonist.
    Old board post count: 2,089

Quote Originally Posted by Scavenger View Post
    1) I thought these forums vanished years ago. I was surprised to find it in a google search for a place to discuss this issue. Was it resurrected by Krakoa and the Five?
    2) I get that Cortez is a bad guy...but I'm a bit..not liking how he's treated by the "good guys". They're nice to Sinister, and the various Hellions and every other scum bag mutant....but Charles, Ororo, and Kurt are particularly...unforgiving of him.
    3) What as that last page? The big pit of...marbles?
    1) The URL has changed a couple of times, for various reasons.
    2) Yeah, everyone is rather petty in this. Admittedly, it's better than the xenophobia they've usually been showing lately.
    3) Those are mysterium pyramids, as seen in the first issue.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

I have meet some of them and they are awesome people with a great sense of humor Cortez and Empath are just jerks for their own reasons.

I agree the Quiet Council was particulary petty, I canīt say I liked Mags doing this but I guess he just wanted to humiliate him because Fabian has a ego bigger than his and was still under the impression he would believe him again as if he were a fool, still I think Ewing is doing a deconstruction of Cortez and this was part of it,I think Cortez will keep appearing on SWORD and Magneto and him will have a second confrontation with more honets words between them.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

I know Cortez is a piece of sh*t but the way he was treated by the council went a tiny bit too far imo, especially since for half the council it was pretty much throwing stones from a glass house. The way that whole ordeal was antithetical to what Krakoa is about, especially the "turning a new leaf" part. This council meeting is for sure going to come and bite them later

I also felt bad for him even if I understand he was openly trying to manipulate Magneto again, in which case, Cortez should know this trick would not work a third time and Magneto got feed up with this so I kind of want to see a third confrontation jsut between them where they stop playing and talk about the real problem.

I definitely expect this to bite the QC later more so if Cortez is the one who ends finding the spy from Orchis or if Peppers end being the spy, I love how Ewing has taken such a obscure character and gave him a warm friendship with Magneto but also an interesting pov because heīs not powerful enough to be noticed and his appareance makes him to not be take so seriously but he has proven to be both highly capable with his powers and also have a great understanding of people so it would be a real irony if he ends being a spy.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 04-26-2021 at 11:55 AM.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Astonishing Member

"let's humiliate this old character, in a way that would never be acceptable if it were being done to a female character"

"now. look at this cool original DONOTSTEAL character Ive created, she is like that old character but much better and a cute sexy super ninja assasin"

the writer is good, but this was not a good idea for a book

I'm also bothered by Empath being drawn as a blonde guy. Spain has some blonde people, like Marcos LLorente of Atletico de Madrid, but they are a small minority. Most are dark haired southern europeans, and Empath was brown haired in the 80s.
    I think Cortez was a blonde in the 90s. So in his case it isnt wrong.

Well Cortez always has looked like this, I donīt know if this would be blond or something else.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    "let's humiliate this old character, in a way that would never be acceptable if it were being done to a female character"

"now. look at this cool original DONOTSTEAL character Ive created, she is like that old character but much better and a cute sexy super ninja assasin"

the writer is good, but this was not a good idea for a book

I'm also bothered by Empath being drawn as a blonde guy. Spain has some blonde people, like Marcos LLorente of Atletico de Madrid, but they are a small minority. Most are dark haired southern europeans, and Empath was brown haired in the 80s.
    I think Cortez was a blonde in the 90s. So in his case it isnt wrong.
    It' not like Cortez is a well beloved chaarcter, he is a bigot. He deserved the humiliation

The guy still wants a carve out for murdering humans.

Why, exactly, should I feel badly about that he was humiliated?

That is an old stereotype, and a quite prejudiced one. These characters show their age... Empath, Cortez, Esteban Corazón de Ablo... all of them racist aristocrats who will not shut up about their families. To be fair, it is the image Spain projected to the world under the dictadure. Even Lourdes Chantel is kind of a throwback.
    Spain is an old crossroads between North Africa and Europe, plus we assimilated all the former slaves, so an individual spaniard can look anywhere from pretty dark to blue eyed blonde. Most of us, specially in the south, look mediterranean though. I have noticed that american media lately tends to portray us as non white. So lets hope it sticks and people forgets what we did.

And yeah, I would like to see a regular spaniard at some point and not some tired stereotype. Although taking into account how long it took them to introduce a regular american black guy, I am not holding my breath.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

As a Trinidadian (of Spanish, Portuguese and African descent) we will/should never forget what Spain, France, Britain, and other European countries, did to the Caribbean and the Americas.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 04-27-2021 at 04:40 AM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

In Mexico we had a mixed perspective of that time because a lot of spanish refugees from the civil war came to the country and helped to found schools and factories and the goverment broke diplomatic relations with the Spanish goverment until the end of the dictatorship so the perspective was different and it helped to change the perception from the Spanish as colonizers to spanish the refugees, we still have a lot of debates about the Conquest like it was yesterday but they are more lighthearted than they used to be.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 04-27-2021 at 06:18 AM.