Mighty Member

Default Public service ads that failed BIG TIME...

In Australia we had an educational ad on consent that bombed. It was labelled "insulting" and likely to "do more harm than good' according to experts and quickly pulled.

Here it is. I cant make sense of it. What do YOU think? Have you seen other public service ads you found insulting, confusing and unlikely to do any good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3aHhNKIcKU

I know this doesn't really count but still.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Tdh_rM_Q2hw

BANNED

- the old "this is your brain on drugs" ad comes to mind

-for awhile in the comics they had some cartoony anti-pot ads that seemed like they were designed to stoners would find them appealing rather than make them quit smoking

-and iirc it was North Dakota that had the short-lived "Meth-we're on it!"campaign

Gilette tried to address toxic masculinity in a way that was soooo heavy-handed and cringey:

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
    - the old "this is your brain on drugs" ad comes to mind
    "The old" ad lasted 40 years in one form or another, and there's every indication it will continue to be used. It was one of the most successful PSAs in history.

Mighty Member

-for awhile in the comics they had some cartoony anti-pot ads that seemed like they were designed to stoners would find them appealing rather than make them quit smoking..

(thanks) Ah yes, remember the Zach Whelan Spider-man insert that was anti-pot (or something)?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyO'Brien View Post
    -for awhile in the comics they had some cartoony anti-pot ads that seemed like they were designed to stoners would find them appealing rather than make them quit smoking..

(thanks) Ah yes, remember the Zach Whelan Spider-man insert that was anti-pot (or something)?
    I vaguely recall something that was widely criticized, in the 80s I think, where it was revealed that Peter Parker was sexually abused as a child by his babysitter. I don't recall if it was a one off comic book or newspaper insert or something. It was credited to Stan Lee but I think Roy Thomas actually wrote it, and I think John Romita did the art.

Mighty Member

(thanks again!) It was a one-shot public service comic. Half featured Spidey the other half Power Pack by L.Simonson/Brigman. the (non-cannon) news about Peter being abused made into my local Aussie newspaper and was a decent well intended comic about reporting abuse to family and friends.

Some some flop PS ads at the multiplex over the years. One was a Salvation army ad featuring two kids playing Star Wars . The mum pointed out how "the Salvos" never gave up helping people they way Luke never gave up on his dad. It ends with a kid in a Vader mask wheezing away. Only saw it once. It was long winded, ill-conceived and was probably sued by Lucas. (must see if I can youtube it)

Depends on if it counts as a public service ad but I think that "Duck and Cover" would have been of little help if an Atomic Bomb was really dropped on your school.
    Power with Girl is better.

Not a PSA but a huge propaganda film. Refer madness.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Mighty Member

Here's the Spidey vs pot video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kgEk27EINA

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post

-and iirc it was North Dakota that had the short-lived "Meth-we're on it!"campaign
    South Dakota. Man that was just so bad you had to laugh at it. It was like no one actually watched the add before it aired.