Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Should X-force be a bigger organization?

Percy introduced the concept of X-force as the mutant CIA, but I don't feel like he's fully exploring it.
    The book feels small and inconsequential at times. And the team itself doesn't seem nearly as well thought out as something like SWORD, which just launched.
    Is the X-office wasting potential here?

Definitely.

It's weird how SWORD has poached so many mutants but the actual Krakoa CIA is so understaffed. I mean maybe the team is supposed to be more hush hush but then why the heck would you have Quire on this team?

X-Force is a really disorganized mess tbh.

BANNED

X-Force is supposed to be a proactive team book. Like the usual task force or black ops mythos from this book. But it had failed to have any team-focused expedition or objectives. Its rather more character-focused each issue. The team already has 8 members on the book. The problem isn't there with characters at all really(with the exception of Sage)

Although its working wonders for Logan who is against the Vampire Nation with Sage and Beast behind his back on his book.
    Last edited by Vishop; 04-21-2021 at 08:15 PM.

Yeah it's one of the least organized teams despite being one of the first ones created by and approved by the Council. Quentin just showed up on the Domino rescue mission and stuck around. Jean and Colossus go back and forth between being members, and I don't even know if Forge is an official member.

Realistically it should feel like an organization of its own and not a ragtag team, but I feel bad for faulting Percy for not being able to write a massive cast. At the bare minimum each member should have a more official role on the team.

Yup. I thought it would be. But with that said i don't think Percy would be the right person for a bigger cast. I think he does better with a more intimate cast. Suprisely he has written i think the best vpoces for Jean and Logan and the second best voice for Storm i've read in this era.
    Last edited by jwatson; 04-21-2021 at 08:23 PM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Mighty Member

I think the big issue is that it feels incredibly ragtag more so than it needing to be bigger. Marauders, is kinda the same way, but they give enough background elements that you can tell the hellfire trading Company is a much bigger, more organized organization that what you're seeing which is largely just a team within it.

With X-force it all feels kinda up in the air even at its most organized.

The Xforce should have multiple little sub groups, it's way too much burden for just 5-7 people.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

From an creative team stand-point I get why Percy might want a more focused team.

On the other hand, a team that is responsible for high-threats and security should have as many resources as possible and that includes staff. As much or even more than SWORD. You want some of your most brilliant and dangerous people on the team... but you got the pacifistic Colossus and the constantly dying kid Quire on it? It's just really dissonant.

I wish Percy had put more thought into how an organization like this should function like Ewing clearly did.

Maybe it would help if it was made clear that this team wasn't the only team dealing with Krakoa's safety. We haven't exactly seen how the Captain(s) organize teams or if there are any other military branches on Krakoa.
    Last edited by ChronoRogue; 04-21-2021 at 08:53 PM.

BANNED

I am not exactly sure whats the team's main agenda is lol. It's just so much incoherent in itself. They call themselves a team but the scope is so minimal. Percy wasn't given the mobility to do bigger things. He is just focussing on characters on his book. That isn't going anywhere. I hope he does something organized.

Spectacular Member

The main strike team is good at its current number but in order for it to be effective it needs to have a larger team of informants and spies that are gaining the intel and reporting back to Sage so she knows where the strike team needs to be pointed. If she wasn't a member of the Quiet council I would say the perfect person to lead that group would by Mystique.

Bring in Madrox, problem solved.

Seriously though I kind of like the smaller cast, it makes the stakes seem high because there aren’t endless bodies to throw at the problem. I said this previously about the book and Wolverine but I really think moving on to the next story will help this book out. Obviously Covid delays followed by XoS really halted the main stories but at this point X-Force needs a real confrontation with Xeno.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    Maybe it would help if it was made clear that this team wasn't the only team dealing with Krakoa's safety. We haven't exactly seen how the Captain(s) organize teams or if there are any other military branches on Krakoa.
    GIVE BISHOP A TEAM! He’d be the perfect character to either revamp X-Force or start his own security focused team.

Black Tom is an interesting choice and all, but he’s basically island security. And the CIA deals with foreign threats, not threats on domestic soil. So... why exactly is he on the team again? I’d add someone else to the Intel branch in his place, like perhaps Bishop because he’s smart and I love seeing him paired with Sage. At this point they should also lose Jean too since she’s on the new X-men team.

Then I’d add another Field team of three, so that the mutant CIA can have more than one op running concurrently. And I know exactly who I’d put on it... OG adult grown ass man MF-ing Cable, plus Shatterstar and Tempo. Think about it: Tempo using her powers to slow everything down around them while Cable and Shatty merc everyone in sight! It wouldn’t even be fair. Like the Matrix where no one can touch them because they’re moving at 2-3x speed of everyone around them. Those would be some awesome action scenes IMO.

So my final roster...

Intel Branch
    Beast
    Sage
    Bishop

Field Branch (Alpha Team)
    Wolverine
    Domino
    Kid Omega

Field Branch (Bravo Team)
    Cable
    Tempo
    Shatterstar

Medical/Tech Support (supporting cast)
    Dr. Reyes
    Forge

I've been kind of mulling this over a bit the last day or so and I think it would be beneficial to cut QQ loose. Him dying every issue was really entertaining at first, but now its run it's course and after the last issue it would be a great jumping off point for him, let him be happy with Phoebe for a while. If you really need a psychic on the team bring in Cable or Kwannon, they're way more suited to this type of work anyways, personally I would prefer Jean to join back up but I don't know if she has the pragmatism needed for a team like this.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    GIVE BISHOP A TEAM! He’d be the perfect character to either revamp X-Force or start his own security focused team.
    Bishop is a cop, not an assassin. He'd be a much better fit for SWORD than X-Force.