Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    320

    Post Magneto: Anti-hero or Full Villains

    When I first watch the movie of "X-Men" trilogy, Magneto is alway potray as a main villains. But in the prequel franchise, he mostly serve as a deuteragonist to the plot of the movies. But I am pretty not sure how that work in the comics. Does he turned back to villain roots once and suddenly change the new leaf. Which ones do you think he potray most of the time?

  2. #2
    Astonishing Member Zelena's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    2,805

    Default

    It depends on the author, on the era… Sometimes he is a misunderstood sensitive man, sometimes a mutant supremacist, sometimes an old wise man…

    As a variable-geometry character, he can be the one you want, you just have to choose the comics that fit your liking… Personally, I don’t like the current one.

  3. #3
    Fantastic Member Exodus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    When I first watch the movie of "X-Men" trilogy, Magneto is alway potray as a main villains. But in the prequel franchise, he mostly serve as a deuteragonist to the plot of the movies. But I am pretty not sure how that work in the comics. Does he turned back to villain roots once and suddenly change the new leaf. Which ones do you think he potray most of the time?
    I really love what the movies have done with him. X1 and X2 portraits him so beautifully as an antagonist. He is not a villain. He fights for mutant rights, although how he does it is super problematic and violent. I think the X-Men movie really create the most compelling villain in any superhero movie.

  4. #4
    Fantastic Member Lady Midnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    400

    Default

    Magneto is our Most Holy Lord from which who all blessings flow.
    No matter how powerful a character is, if someone has to hold their snowflake hand, and remind them how very special they are before they stop whining long enough to save the day; they're not truly a badass.

  5. #5
    Spectacular Member staptik777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    170

    Default

    Anti-Villain
    An Anti-Villain is the opposite of an Anti-Hero — a character with heroic goals, personality traits, and/or virtues who is ultimately the villain. Their desired ends are mostly good, but their means of getting there range from evil to undesirable. Alternatively, their goals may be selfish or have long-term consequences they don't care about, but they're good people who might even team up with the hero if their goals don't conflict.

  6. #6
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    11,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by staptik777 View Post
    Anti-Villain
    An Anti-Villain is the opposite of an Anti-Hero — a character with heroic goals, personality traits, and/or virtues who is ultimately the villain. Their desired ends are mostly good, but their means of getting there range from evil to undesirable. Alternatively, their goals may be selfish or have long-term consequences they don't care about, but they're good people who might even team up with the hero if their goals don't conflict.
    That works. He's ultimately too complex and sympathetic at his core to be a straightforward villain, but he's also extremely unrepentant about his penchant toward violence to achieve his ends, not to mention deeply (and understandably, if not rightfully) cynical about human nature, which doesn't necessarily make for a good hero, either. Then again, as Magneto himself put it at one point to Storm, "Hero or villain is just how the times cast us." Something to that effect.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  7. #7
    The Superior One Celgress's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,934

    Arrow

    I prefer him as an anti-hero all be it one who when he feels it is necessary without hesitation crosses the line into full-on villainy in the name of his cause (or what he perceives as the "greater good" for his people).
    Last edited by Celgress; 04-22-2021 at 06:11 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

  8. #8
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I prefer him as an anti-hero all be it one who when he feels it is necessary without hesitation crosses the line into full-on villainy in the name of his cause (or what he perceives as the "greater good" for his people).
    Prefer him as an anti-hero also. Let's face it, Following the example of the Avengers will only get 99.9% of mutants killed.

  9. #9
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    11,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rcaguy View Post
    Prefer him as an anti-hero also. Let's face it, Following the example of the Avengers will only get 99.9% of mutants killed.
    The problem with the Avengers' example is that it works for them to the extent that they are perceived to be aligned with "human interests," which more often than not really just means the vested interests of those used to holding and retaining power in human society, power that is (potentially) threatened by superhumans, individually or collectively, acting on their own recognizance. The moment they defy, challenge, or controvert those vested interests, they become perceived as a liability, if not an outright threat, to those same vested interests, which then use their sociopolitical, economic, and/or cultural power to sway the public against them, which they've been finding out the hard way ever since formally distancing themselves from the U.S. government after they made the Black Panther their chairperson.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •