Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    They're not the same characters, though. There's a core of the characters that remains the same, sure, but Hawkgirl in particular had a specific take and the show had some specific storylines to follow up on. You can see their unique take on Amazo in the preview pages
    For sure there are character and story elements more unique to the show, I just think it's better to aim for fans of the show to open themselves up to other in-universe incarnations. Not that this necessarily stops that from happening, but harkening back to a TV adaptation might not help either. My opinion is probably colored by annoying casuals who insist that everything mirror the DCAU. Timm's influence is so widespread and now we have to have his universe compete with the actual DCU in print. I don't know.

**** yeah! Glad to see them doing something like this.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeJ77 View Post
    Can you give a long paragraph about your problems with the DCAU?
    Everyone else was Batman's b****, Superman was nerfed, WW spent most of her time giving Batman heart eyes, their interpretation of Hawkman, they made Hawkwoman a traitor, Superman is mostly a flying brick who fell for being manipulated by the villains, Supergirl not being allowed to be Superman's actual cousin, Wally was treated like a clown, Batman dodging Darkseid's Omega beams while Superman barely survives a fight with him. They did fine with street level characters but the actual powered characters were treated as either easy to manipulate or not nearly as powerful as they were supposed to be. Superman's best episode was the one where he lost his powers!
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeJ77 View Post
    Can you give a long paragraph about your problems with the DCAU?
    Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Everyone else was Batman's b****, Superman was nerfed, WW spent most of her time giving Batman heart eyes, their interpretation of Hawkman, they made Hawkwoman a traitor, Superman is mostly a flying brick who fell for being manipulated by the villains, Supergirl not being allowed to be Superman's actual cousin, Wally was treated like a clown, Batman dodging Darkseid's Omega beams while Superman barely survives a fight with him. They did fine with street level characters but the actual powered characters were treated as either easy to manipulate or not nearly as powerful as they were supposed to be. Superman's best episode was the one where he lost his powers!
    Well, pretty much this I guess.

They were good with Bat-characters (for the most part) or characters who they pretty much re-invented from the ground up (Hawkgirl) but when it came it characters like Wonder Woman and Superman (though to a lesser degree in his case imo) they left much to be desired.

Astonishing Member

I have to agree with some of the posters here; I am not excited about this.

It was good for it's day...that day is over (for about a decade).

BANNED

Superman is my favorite DCAU character and has been since I was 5 back in 1996, lol. (The only other DC superhero character I liked at the time was Loren Lester's Dick Grayson.)

And I see "casuals" still praise that interpretation of Superman on YouTube.

**If you're not in the know, the label "casuals" should always be said with an upturned nose and snobbish tone.**
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 04-22-2021 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Superman is my favorite DCAU character and has been since I was 5 back in 1996, lol. (The only other DC superhero character I liked at the time was Loren Lester's Dick Grayson.)

And I see "casuals" still praise that interpretation of Superman on YouTube.

**If you're not in the know, the label "casuals" should always be said with an upturned nose and snobbish tone.**
    I'm not old! I'm not! I'M NOT!
    Assassinate Putin!

Spectacular Member

I wonder what's going on with Martian Manhunter in the preview, last I checked at the end of JLU he had assumed the identity of an old Chinese man and gotten married.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    I don't hate this, but I find it kind of backwards. The show was a streamlined adaptation of existing characters and stories. I feel like returning the DCAU setup to the comic book format is is both redundant and kind of limiting. It's always been done for the cartoons, but I always kind of felt the same way.

That said, I'm probably not the target audience for this. (Though, if I'm not, then who is? JLU was around when I was a kid. Shouldn't DC want people who liked the show to buy better illustrated in-universe books about these same characters?)
    I think you can see a lot of passion on forums or online for specifically the DCAU Universe and interpretations of those characters, and who want to see more of them, so I think it makes a lot of sense.

Like how there are people whose favorite interpretation of a character is in a media adaption that they would probably prefer to see more of than, say, a comic they are in.
    The Supergirl thing wasn't up to them. They wouldn't let them make her an actual Kryptonian because it was when they were insistent on "Superman is the last son" mandate.

Wally being treated like a clown has more to do with the interpretation of him they based his character on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
    I wonder what's going on with Martian Manhunter in the preview, last I checked at the end of JLU he had assumed the identity of an old Chinese man and gotten married.
    I assume this takes place while he was still on his sabbatical.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think you can see a lot of passion on forums or online for specifically the DCAU Universe and interpretations of those characters, and who want to see more of them, so I think it makes a lot of sense.

Like how there are people whose favorite interpretation of a character is in a media adaption that they would probably prefer to see more of than, say, a comic they are in.

The Supergirl thing wasn't up to them. They wouldn't let them make her an actual Kryptonian because it was when they were insistent on "Superman is the last son" mandate.

Wally being treated like a clown has more to do with the interpretation of him they based his character on.

I assume this takes place while he was still on his sabbatical.

On the Supergirl thing, yeah it wasn't up to them and it's worth noting by JLU they basically just ignored it and the show essentially treated Kara as Clarks actual Cousin and repeatedly refered to her as a Kryptonian, I think they mention Argo ONCE in JLU and it's not said "oh it's a seperate planet from Krypton" then just as "Kara lived in a place called Argo and the Legion's tech is similar!"

Wally West is very much based on the Baron-Loebs era version of him with a handful of aspects of Barry Allen (the origin, the Job etc), honestly almost every adaptation of Wally draws mostly from that era of him for his characterization more than it draws from Waid or Johns even if they draw more Lore from the later eras, hell they draw a lot from that for Barry in adaptations too. It's largely just cause regardless of who's under the cowl The Flash almost ALWAYS gets the comic relief role in team stuff and that was the Flash at his most comedic in any solo run. It's a strange little thing in that I feel among comic fandom that era of Flash is heavily overshadowed by the following Waid era but it's still one of the most influential eras in adaptations of the Flash.

I actually think the DCAU did a great job with Superman and giving him a complete character arc, Id actually argue he's essentially the main character of JL/U following up on a bunch of the plotlines left from STAS. Wonder Woman though, yeah she had her moments and episodes but she's easily the character Timm and Co had the weakest grasp on sadly. The Batwank can get annoying but I actually think character wise Clark has a more complete arc than Bruce in the DCAU even though we spend a lot of time with Future Bruce but we never really get the why or how he ends up such a bitter old loner having pushed everyone away beyond the implication what happened to Tim really messed him up.

As for J'onn. You would think that but the solicit pretty much says it's after "Destroyer" with Darkseid's Death/disappearance/whatever the hell happened to him at the end there leading to Conflict breaking out on Apokolips again but this time the ploy for Leadership is who can destroy the Justice League I guess as revenge for Darkseid and of course the AMAZO stuff that was never resolved.

So like it seems he's ON his Sabbatical on that preview page.. but it doesn't really line up time wise, unless that page is a flashback to what he was doing between him leaving the JL and his return.
    Last edited by Mojo; 04-22-2021 at 04:00 PM.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Going by the prview, the art looks great! Excited to read this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    For sure there are character and story elements more unique to the show, I just think it's better to aim for fans of the show to open themselves up to other in-universe incarnations. Not that this necessarily stops that from happening, but harkening back to a TV adaptation might not help either. My opinion is probably colored by annoying casuals who insist that everything mirror the DCAU. Timm's influence is so widespread and now we have to have his universe compete with the actual DCU in print. I don't know.
    It's one comic. Even if it becomes an ongoing it's still just one comic.

I find those people annoying too, the DCAU did a lot of things that COULDN'T have been done in comics because every take on a character they tried was unmoored by either past or future continuity. Things like their take on Freeze or Metallo or Mxyzptlk worked so well precisely because they never had to be concerned with using them again. Likewise, they could pick a bunch of things that were introduced over several decades of comics and introduce them in fresh interpretations and combinations because of that as well.

But I enjoyed the take they turned out and I want to see more. There's no shame in that and it's something that I can't get from the main DC comics and likely never will

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I know. DC had a real stick up their butt about everything having to be based on the post-Crisis version in the nineties. One of the more famous stories is how Dave Stevens wanted to do a Superman/Rocketeer crossover and he wanted to use the 1938 version but DC wouldn't let him and said he could only use the post-Crisis version. So we missed out on a cool crossover because of a stupid mandate.
    Assassinate Putin!

BANNED

I'm not old! I'm not! I'M NOT!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    And that's over a decade old now baby!