Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default James Gunn's working on getting Suicide Squad released in China

https://www.cbr.com/the-suicide-squa...se-james-gunn/

that he's working on getting Suicide Squad released in China. Since various western made movies have to pass the censors, does that mean that whatever movie is seen stateside or in Europe, that we're not getting the true vision that the director wanted? We're just seeing that version that has to be sliced and diced in China?
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 04-22-2021 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    that he's working on getting Suicide Squad released in China. Since various western made movies have to pass the censors, does that mean that whatever movie is seen stateside or in Europe, that we're not getting the true vision that the director wanted? We're just seeing that version that has to be sliced and diced in China?
    No the government has to Approve of everything in China if they see something in the movie they don't like anti government anti Chinese pro gay the movie company can edit it out and try for pass it again it has almost no barring on the USA version although sometimes it can effect the whole movie see reddown but that very rare.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    No the government has to Approve of everything in China if they see something in the movie they don't like anti government anti Chinese pro gay the movie company can edit it out and try for pass it again it has almost no barring on the USA version although sometimes it can effect the whole movie see reddown but that very rare.
    Wasn't there some rule that Chinese govt will not allow a movie to be released in China if other versions of the movie is released elsewhere?

Here is an interesting story on the subject.

If this is correct, then it's less a rule that the Chinese govt won't allow a movie to be released in China if there are other versions released elsewhere, and more that studios are increasingly preemptively censoring and tailoring movies during production so that they will pass muster with the Chinese censors.

BANNED

What’s the release date in the USA?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Here is an interesting story on the subject.

If this is correct, then it's less a rule that the Chinese govt won't allow a movie to be released in China if there are other versions released elsewhere, and more that studios are increasingly preemptively censoring and tailoring movies during production so that they will pass muster with the Chinese censors.
    Well, that sucks. I think that directors should be free to do whatever they want. Don't make the Ancient One a bald white woman, say Doctor Strange traveled to Tibet. If the CCP doesn't like it, screw em. There are other markets. The U.S. film industry was fine before, and they'd certainly be fine now. They don't need the Chinese market. The world has 6-7 billion people. Just because 1.2 reside in China doesn't change anything. There's the India market too.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Well, that sucks. I think that directors should be free to do whatever they want. Don't make the Ancient One a bald white woman, say Doctor Strange traveled to Tibet. If the CCP doesn't like it, screw em. There are other markets. The U.S. film industry was fine before, and they'd certainly be fine now. They don't need the Chinese market. The world has 6-7 billion people. Just because 1.2 reside in China doesn't change anything. There's the India market too.
    Studios can easily solve this problem if they make a cut of the film that's exclusive to China. Studios won't do that because that's an added expense.

This has been an ongoing issue with video games as well and there's been massive backlash over it.

Actually, they do need the Chinese audience. China is on track to overtake the U.S. as the largest consumer of movies in the world. You can't just disregard them. Hollywood is relying more & more on their market. Our movies are being created with them in mind.

Shang-Chi movie is for whom?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    Actually, they do need the Chinese audience. China is on track to overtake the U.S. as the largest consumer of movies in the world. You can't just disregard them. Hollywood is relying more & more on their market. Our movies are being created with them in mind.

Isn't that the same country that has issues with black lead movies? Or movies with blacks in them as some sort of lead?

So why pander to them? Because that means a studio can exclude folks from films. And don't think studios are NOT doing that and will use China as an excuse.

I mean can we do the same to them? We don't ask them to make their movies for us. We don't do that to any country. That is censorship.

I should need another country for my movie to make a profit. If that is case-I might as well bring the China censors here to pick through the scripts.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I should need another country for my movie to make a profit. If that is case-I might as well bring the China censors here to pick through the scripts.
    That's on the way, I'm sure. It is only a matter of time.

He's right. To pass such a stupidly huge market sounds silly, what kind of capitalists are you, damn it?!!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Isn't that the same country that has issues with black lead movies? Or movies with blacks in them as some sort of lead?

So why pander to them? Because that means a studio can exclude folks from films. And don't think studios are NOT doing that and will use China as an excuse.

I mean can we do the same to them? We don't ask them to make their movies for us. We don't do that to any country. That is censorship.

So, does that mean that Marvel has to oust Anthony Mackie as the new Cap?

Mighty Member

We disregarded them in the 1980s and 90s, we can certainly do that now. There shouldn't be any censorship. Directors should be allowed to make and distribute whatever film they want. Not give in to another countries demands.

Mighty Member

For fans of the MCU both hardcore fans and causal fans

We disregarded them in the 1980s and 90s, we can certainly do that now. There shouldn't be any censorship. Directors should be allowed to make and distribute whatever film they want. Not give in to another countries demands.
    They are making and distributing the films they want. They want to sell to China, so they cater to the customer's sensibilities. It's no different from making films in Hollywood while having a mostly American target audience in mind: studios are still going to cater to the lowest common denominator. The notion that a big budget, big studio, star-studded cast action film is mostly fueled by artistic integrity is silly in and of itself. It's a product to be sold.

An independent filmmaker could make a witty and profound movie revolving around a gay Tibetan-American superhero and it might just become a cult classic. But it's not gonna make that sweet Chinese money.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me