Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    Remember when Marvel was promoting Bendis' Iron Man as the flagship Marvel title lol? I don't really see why, he wasn't even the star of that book for 10 issues.
    Iron Man is an object lesson why being "hot sh-t" in the movies doesn't lead magically to the comics following suit.

The MCU is the first time low-selling B-tier comics got to be "belle at the ball" at the movies. Before movie producers naturally assumed the top comics -- Superman, Batman, X-Men, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four -- would be the biggest draw. (Blade of course was an exception but mostly because they made it into a vampire genre movie rather than a comic adaptation).

But Iron Man flipped the script, even if as a character he doesn't really have many great stories -- Daredevil, Dr. Strange, Captain America, Thor -- leave alone Spider-Man and X-Men all had better stories than Iron Man -- on the screen RDJ's Iron Man was a winner. The problems that affected Iron Man in the comics --weak supporting cast, terrible villains -- didn't get solved or addressed by the movies but through RDJ's inner character drive somehow made the stuff in the movies interesting because for the most part they don't play as comic book movies. You can't translate the stuff that made IM work in the movies back into the comics.

Extraordinary Member

Spider-man(Peter Parker) is and will be for the forseable future the flagship character because:-
    1-He is an og character so has fanbase of almost all ages
    2-Relatable af(to most people regardless of age/race/nationality and even gender imo because he deals with so many real life problems)
    3-Has amazing movies,games,comics,etc. and has a great presence in every medium
    4-So many people grew up with him since he was a teen and is now a adult unlike others who have been adults from the get go
    5-No one else really competes(Cap is more america based so international reach is limited and Iron Man only recently gained traction since MCU and X-men stuff basically devolved into wolverine and sidekicks in the movies )

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Iron Man is an object lesson why being "hot sh-t" in the movies doesn't lead magically to the comics following suit.

The MCU is the first time low-selling B-tier comics got to be "belle at the ball" at the movies. Before movie producers naturally assumed the top comics -- Superman, Batman, X-Men, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four -- would be the biggest draw. (Blade of course was an exception but mostly because they made it into a vampire genre movie rather than a comic adaptation).

But Iron Man flipped the script, even if as a character he doesn't really have many great stories -- Daredevil, Dr. Strange, Captain America, Thor -- leave alone Spider-Man and X-Men all had better stories than Iron Man -- on the screen RDJ's Iron Man was a winner. The problems that affected Iron Man in the comics --weak supporting cast, terrible villains -- didn't get solved or addressed by the movies but through RDJ's inner character drive somehow made the stuff in the movies interesting because for the most part they don't play as comic book movies. You can't translate the stuff that made IM work in the movies back into the comics.
    RDJ was the main reason iron man took off.He brought a great energy to the character and his acting and attitude were beyond great.Even in the MCU iron man movies weren't the best.

Hes the flagship character but it never translate in universe for reasons. At one hand I understand why but on the other I just want to see him be number 1
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    Hes the flagship character but it never translate in universe for reasons. At one hand I understand why but on the other I just want to see him be number 1
    This.After Spencer's run that is cleaning up the past I think editorial needs to initiate the Spider-man era which defines him as the legend we hear about from cable and others.We get glimpses and snippets but we need to get a run where he is a level-headed,mature,smart and skillful superhero and not a mess.Even in the recent ASM issue he slips about his identity and the same thing he does for Miles secret identity.I just want to see that happen before I die tbh.The sooner the better,if OMD addressing means we get this I will be livid and this will be even better than the marriage

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    Because he inhabits one city, whereas the others travel the whole world and even the universe

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Because he inhabits one city, whereas the others travel the whole world and even the universe
    Well most of the whole world in comics is NYC.And there are many more factors than geographical location.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Well most of the whole world in comics is NYC.And there are many more factors than geographical location.
    I know, but does he handle all the huge events other heroes do? Spider-Man's stories are fairly small scale. It's not like the other Avengers or whoever are going to think "I saved the galaxy, but Spider-Man saved a bus so he's the top dog." I'm not trying to diminish Spidey's contributions, but considering the relative scale, I don't see how him not being "the hero" in universe is a problem

Extraordinary Member

I know, but does he handle all the huge events other heroes do? Spider-Man's stories are fairly small scale. It's not like the other Avengers or whoever are going to think "I saved the galaxy, but Spider-Man saved a bus so he's the top dog." I'm not trying to diminish Spidey's contributions, but considering the relative scale, I don't see how him not being "the hero" in universe is a problem
    Well Cap once said that people like Spidey take care of so many threats and makes sure that avengers won't have to deal with those if they had time to grow and become bigger.Also as daredevil says its not street level its people level.I do see your point though.We do need an avengers team with a spidey main character where he is written as smart and mature

Ultimate Member

Well Cap once said that people like Spidey take care of so many threats and makes sure that avengers won't have to deal with those if they had time to grow and become bigger.Also as daredevil says its not street level its people level.I do see your point though.We do need an avengers team with a spidey main character where he is written as smart and mature
    I see what you mean. Tbh, I don't think there needs to be "the one big hero" in universe. There's room for different heroes at different levels. I'd like to see Spidey written as more of an equal to the Avengers as well

Extraordinary Member

I see what you mean. Tbh, I don't think there needs to be "the one big hero" in universe. There's room for different heroes at different levels. I'd like to see Spidey written as more of an equal to the Avengers as well
    Amen to that.Honestly a mature,smart Spidey is good enough at least for the time being

Ultimate Member

Amen to that.Honestly a mature,smart Spidey is good enough at least for the time being
    Agreed! I don't want him to be trapped in the same "growing up" phase. We already have a bunch of new heroes from the last 10-20 years to occupy that role. Let him take on a more senior roles as an "elder statesman" of the Marvel Universe

Spider-Man is the flagship icon of misery and destruction.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Ultimate Member

Spider-man is probably more popular than Superman. Superman has declined quite a bit in popularity.

I think the only character that has Spider-man's cultural cache now is Batman.

Extraordinary Member

Agreed! I don't want him to be trapped in the same "growing up" phase. We already have a bunch of new heroes from the last 10-20 years to occupy that role. Let him take on a more senior roles as an "elder statesman" of the Marvel Universe
    This^^^^^^^^^