Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default What Is The Largest Amount of Comic Book Issues You Have Read In A Day?

I got in an argument once with a guy who claimed he could read 20 manga volumes in a day. Unless he was the lovechild of Usain Bolt and Sonic the Hedgehog, I'm a little skeptical of that claim.

To be honest I have read a ton of issues in one day. And I can remember how a lot of what I have read went. All I do is take care of my father. I have no other job then that. I have a mental health disorder and I use comics to over compensate when I am having a bad day. So Most days all I pretty much do is read comics. I know that sounds pretty sad but I am happy with my life and comics help me deal with stress, depression and the voices in my head.

The most I have read in one day is 44 single issues. Today I am at 38. I wake up at like 5am every morning and some days just read non stop till I go to bed (Aside from taking care of my dads needs) There are times where I will average 20 or so a day then I will go like two weeks with out reading any. I am a very fast reader so it helps. I can read a 300 page novel in about two or three days. Also the fact that 9 days out of ten I am so scared to leave my house that I go no where.

I do the 1000 comics in a year thing on this board. So far I am at just under 900 for the year. I am also crazy about cataloging what I read because it is fun for me. I have a list of each comics I read each month this year. I have a January List, a Feb list, etc... and A master list of all of them. I have it broken down by company, then title. I also time how many hours I have spent reading comics and keep track of that as well. I have an average read time of about 6 minutes an issue. Some are fast reads others are slower and take longer so it balances out. The newer stuff are pretty fast reads. I count every issues whether 100 pages or 22 as 1 single comic. I kept a little track the last year and a half but this year I decided to start over with all my reading and really keep a much more detailed list.
    Last edited by babyblob; 04-22-2021 at 06:41 PM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

BANNED

Not in a good, long while but I do occasionally (when I'm bored and there are no alternatives) go back and read runs on books. Probably only around 30-40 issues, and you figure 5 minutes each on those. Nothing impressive, but that's about where I tap out. Depending on the manga, they're often very light on text and the art usually takes up a good amount of the limited space on the pages so it wouldn't surprise me if they read some light, action heavy volumes that breezed by and if they had more patience to sitting there and getting through them I think 20 would be manageable.

There was a Sunday after a comic convention when I read somewhere over fifty issues. That's probably the most.

I can read some decompressed/ widescreen comics pretty quickly.

20 manga volumes is doable, if the volumes are short enough, but it's not going to be that much fun. Though someone may find a series they really like, and devote a whole day to it.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Incredible Member

When I was a kid I could average 2-3 comics a day to the point where I had word balloons memorized, now as I'm nearing 45 years old I just look at the pretty pictures. Being constantly browsing the internet has really hampered the enjoyment of my comics because I'm watching videos on YouTube.

Part of me wishes the internet had never existed.

I could read about ten to twelve manga volumes in a day. But it will take longer if I read it slowly and either try to understand what they are saying or analyze every detail of art in the manga.

The most I ever remember reading in a single day is when I sat down to start a reread of Bone and got sucked in and read the entire all-one-volume that day, so essentially 55 issues. I rarely get to those quantities though.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

I've never kept count, but I believe I may have hit either 100 or close to 100 when binging Cerebus.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

If I really like something I slow down to 2 issues a day and let it breath a little then continue the next day.