Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Incredible Member

Default Mortal Kombat *SPOILERS*

Just watched Mortal Kombat and have to say it was one of the better videogame movie adaptations but it wasn't mindblowing amazing.

Good:
    Fight scenes were really good, very well choreographed and the game inspiration was on full display.
    Scorpion's backstory was also depicted well.
    Sonya Blade's scenes with Kano were good.

Okay:
    Dialogue as a whole wasn't the best.
    Location settings and background didn't visually look the best (looked pretty cheap imo).

Bad:
    Mortal Kombat tournament never actually happens in the film.
    Cole Young's story should've been cut. Least interesting part of the film imo.
    Not enough Scorpion or Lui Kang.

Overall the film was okay to me. However, the animated film Scorpion's Revenge is the better movie.
    Last edited by ComicJunkie21; 04-23-2021 at 02:37 AM.

Just going to repost what I said in the other thread then:

Just saw this, pretty good, some bad ass fights, Sub-Zero's fights were the best.

Actually, and oddly, take away the ice powers and Sub-Zero in this movie is a lot like how I imagine the ideal Shredder in live action should be...

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Just going to repost what I said in the other thread then:

Just saw this, pretty good, some bad ass fights, Sub-Zero's fights were the best.

Actually, and oddly, take away the ice powers and Sub-Zero in this movie is a lot like how I imagine the ideal Shredder in live action should be...
    Sub zero was good and he did remind me of Shredder as well. Not a huge fan of his death scene though, felt a bit underwhelming. I feel like the movie should have focused more on Scorpion's hate for him to build up their final battle. Cole Young's story took up too much time in the film and wasn't as interesting, would've liked to see more how Scorpion came to be (ie what his journey was like in hell to get back and enact his revenge on subzero).

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

only an hour in but so far cole sucks, i think any game character would have been a better pov character. shouldve made sonya and jax middle-aged and let cassie or jacqueline be the newbie

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Gold Stream View Post
    only an hour in but so far cole sucks, i think any game character would have been a better pov character. shouldve made sonya and jax middle-aged and let cassie or jacqueline be the newbie
    Glad I'm not the only one who didn't care for Cole's story in the film. Waste of screen time that could've been used for something else.

I knew we were in trouble when the producer explained the reasoning behind Johnny Cage's absence as not wanting to have a white male lead in the movie. Somehow the 95 movie, the 98 TV series and the recent animated movie managed to have an Asian lead without cutting out Cage or creating some fanfic OCs. Building the whole story around a character whose presence is going to annoy the MK fans and having him essentially steal Lui Kang's role is just absolutely baffling to me. On another hand, this movie relies very heavily on fanservice which is only going to appeal to the MK fans...I'm profoundly confused who this movie was made for.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    I knew we were in trouble when the producer explained the reasoning behind Johnny Cage's absence as not wanting to have a white male lead in the movie. Somehow the 95 movie, the 98 TV series and the recent animated movie managed to have an Asian lead without cutting out Cage or creating some fanfic OCs. Building the whole story around a character whose presence is going to annoy the MK fans and having him essentially steal Lui Kang's role is just absolutely baffling to me. On another hand, this movie relies very heavily on fanservice which is only going to appeal to the MK fans...I'm profoundly confused who this movie was made for.
    This movie seriously should have focused on Scorpion (Japanese) and Sub Zero (Half-Chinese). These two appeal to 99% of the Mortal Kombat Fans and probably all regular fans too. How come nobody is able to figure out such an easy formula?

Good:

Fights: Very well done

Violence and Fatalities: Definitely one of the movie's biggest strengths. I thought it captured the Mortal Kombat Essence

Sub-Zero: This guy was a beast. I too thought of a Modern Day Shredder watching him. I'm happy this movie took Sub-Zero back to his original roots as a straight up villain. No Quan Chi Crap. This one was practically a force of nature

Kano: Didn't think he'd be my favorite character in the movie. His lines and scenes were priceless

Scorpion: He's always been my favorite character in the franchise. Overall, I liked how his character was portrayed.

Bad:

Cole Young: Far too much screen time and I didn't like this character. Even his powers were stupid. The movie should have focused on the Scorpion/Sub-Zero Rivalry. Cole was almost a distraction. It would have been far better if Cole was replaced with Johnny and Cassie Cage (Struggling Action Star just trying to feed his daughter).

Not enough Scorpion and Liu Kang

Sloppy Writing: It was never explained how Bi Han lived for hundreds of years. And Jax's Robot Arms. Seriously? That's how he got them?

Overall: The movie was alright. Great fights but some sloppy writing. Serious missed opportunities here.
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 04-23-2021 at 06:42 AM.