Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

I really don't know much about the lore and haven't played any recent games.

Once Cole stopped talking in the beginning (dude is not the best actor int he world...) I though the movie was definitely worth my 15 bucks while watching it from home.

Enjoyed all the fights, Kano was funny as **** and held the movie together at the beginning before they got to the temple aka more fights, and really, I had fun with it.

The only thing shocking for me, as someone who knows Liu is supposed to be this legendary winner of the tournament(s?)... dude came off meek as hell lol. I kept being caught off guard.. I wanted him more like the Liu frmt he first movie lol.

if the are going to introduce a new character, it was an interesting way to do it. It is just unfortunate Tan can't act lol

I also did not undersand ANY of the rules of the film. Like I don't even undresatnd the point of the tournament at this point if you can just show upa nd attack ****. Or why Shang dind't just murk people over and over since he seemed way OP, or why Raiden sometimes interfered and sometimes didn't. I really have no fucking clue what the rules are for Mortal Kombat at all based on this movie lol.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Replace "Cole Young" with Poochie, "Tournament" with Fireworks Factory, and the audience with Milhouse and we get this scene:

I keep hearing a lot of defense for this movie because "it's only part one. There's gonna be a sequel" and like....since when was it okay for a movie to not bring its A-game just because there MIGHT be a sequel that MIGHT do better? How'd that "holding back for the sequel" bullshit work out for the Power Rangers movie?

Granted I actually liked that that one. I thought it was a pretty solid movie...but it was a terrible Power Rangers movie. And most of the defense for that was also "well they'll flesh this stuff out in the sequel". Like...not fleshing out your film just because you're assuming you've already got a sequel locked in is just so...arrogant. This movie will probably get it because, unlike Power Rangers, Mortal Kombat is still a franchise that sells like gangbusters, regardless of quality. But it really doesn't deserve a sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I also did not undersand ANY of the rules of the film. Like I don't even undresatnd the point of the tournament at this point if you can just show upa nd attack ****. Or why Shang dind't just murk people over and over since he seemed way OP, or why Raiden sometimes interfered and sometimes didn't. I really have no fucking clue what the rules are for Mortal Kombat at all based on this movie lol.
    Because the movie did a **** job explaining just about everything. Even the stuff they made up for the movie, like that "arcana" BS. Apparently you're supposed to unlock the power through some kind of emotional struggle and yet Sonya got hers right away. All she had to do was kill a guy she already didn't like. Hell even Liu Kang's explanation for his powers (if I'm remembering correctly) makes it seem less like it's something you have to unlock and more like something you get just by killing someone with the dragon mark...except for Kano. Who DID kill someone to get his mark and still had to unlock his powers.

Giving a reason for why supposedly normal humans in the MK mythos have superpowers was a good idea. But holy ****, at least be consistent with your own rules.
    Last edited by Blue22; 04-24-2021 at 05:39 PM.

iMan 42s

The rules of the tournament is that every 50 years a fighting tournament is held in the realm to decide the fate of the universe. Shao Khan got REALLY good at conquering **** and so the Elder gods put the tournament on him as a restriction so those realms had a fighting chance. The champions are representatives of those realms but not necessarily being from them. Shao Khan could invade but the Elder gods would strike him down for it. He needs the loophole of rescuing his wife in order to invade even though that does risk the gods or a champion. The second tournament was on surface level bullshit but the gods allowed it since both sides not only agreed to the terms but should Khan loose he'd be unable to bother that realm further.

The Shaolin are the ones in charge of the tournament which is where Liu Kang and Kung Lao are from. The tournament was overtaken by Shang Tsung which is why it's held on his island.

Representatives in the tournament can be literally anyone which is why Sonya, Jax, and Kano got involved. You can be invited but if you just show up they'll roll with it and have you fight someone. Not always the case but it can happen. This is also why you have a host of demons and ninjas involved since it doesn't matter who shows up so long as both sides have something to work with which is why both sides need to have their best at the tournament. It's a battle for the fate of the universe and anyone can participate which is why you want to lead with something great.

Speaking of, the Great Kung Lao is notable because he was Earth Realm's champion beating Outworld's champion in Shang Tsung. Goro was then brought in Shang Tsung's place who proceeded to kill Lao and dominate the tournament ever since. Why could he dominates? Well Shokan's are advanced in age but champions of the tournament age slower to defend the title of champion. So Outworld could just keep winning which is why it is such a big deal to take Goro down. Here's the other thing, you also don't have to kill your opponents. This was a corruption by Shang Tsung but Liu Kang isn't a killer and was trained to respect all life including his enemies. Outside saving the universe Liu Kang's goal in the first game is also to retake the tournament for the Shaolin.

Powers are weird but this is a world where magic is very real, it's just not as used on Earth-realm. Later entries give the special forces and black dragon technology (Kano always had a cybernetic) but Bi-Han is a cryomancer and Scorpion is a god damned ghost made of fire. You don't have to explain magic in the universe but point out that magic just isn't as common in Earth-realm as it would be in Outworld.

It's also kind of foundational stuff for the series and while I'm sure I'm not 100% accurate here if you're going to be writing something in the series you should at the very least be in the right ball park.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    I keep hearing a lot of defense for this movie because "it's only part one. There's gonna be a sequel" and like....since when was it okay for a movie to not bring its A-game just because there MIGHT be a sequel that MIGHT do better? How'd that "holding back for the sequel" bullshit work out for the Power Rangers movie?

Granted I actually liked that that one. I thought it was a pretty solid movie...but it was a terrible Power Rangers movie. And most of the defense for that was also "well they'll flesh this stuff out in the sequel". Like...not fleshing out your film just because you're assuming you've already got a sequel locked in is just so...arrogant. This movie will probably get it because, unlike Power Rangers, Mortal Kombat is still a franchise that sells like gangbusters, regardless of quality. But it really doesn't deserve a sequel.
    At least with Power Rangers I think it was partially a budget thing. They didn't even have enough money to use the Rangers' signature weapons other than give Jason his sword so there was probably only so much Ranger stuff they could actually fit in (granted they did jump straight into a CGI fest with the Zords, so...)

Characters are one dimensional, plotting is bad, backstories are either out of question or flat, and powers and invitation logo are awkward nonsense.
    Costumes are nice, some of the action is fun to look at, but aside from that the movie is not really worth a second watch soon.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    I find so funny that Cole's power is the plot armor.

Look, if you going to do a sequel just make Hanzo spirit take control of Cole and let him be the next scorpion since we'll probably get Kuai Liang as the new Sub-Zero anyways. No one will care that Cole is gone and the actor can play a much better character.
    I agree with this. I didn't think Tan was a bad actor like others. I thought the dialogue for the whole film was bad. Problem is he has a wife a kids . Having Hanzo take over his body would be problematic. Instead just abandon this dumb armor **** and have him take the Scorpion moniker and powers. How? Who cares half the **** in this film didn't make sense.

Absolutely not. Like...that is a sure fire way for me to never watch the sequel. Even after he got his revenge, there are still plenty of other roads to go down with Scorpion. With both Kuai Liang and Quan Chi. Roads that would be SO much more interesting than whatever they have planned for the clear Lego brick that is "Cole Young."

Do not have him do to Scorpion what he did to Johnny. Stop replacing interesting characters with characters who have nothing of value to offer.

iMan 42s

Rebooting Cole Young seems like it'd be the easiest thing to do.

Make him a Lin Quei ninja who from the surviving child of Hanzo is training several generations and raised by Bi Han. Thus he has the suit and explaining why he has powers, he was taught them. In this case I'd go for an adaptation of Hydro where Cole is more inclined to use fire based powers even though he wants to gain the respect of Bi Han by using Cryomancy. He however can only do water as he's constantly melting created ice (you could even do a joke about smoke with that with created steam). Then have him be of maybe several ninjas to target potential recruits for Raiden to give us the cameos but the fights for all the blood hungry pyschos watching at home. This gets the attention of the special forces but leading to Hanzo who has finally escaped the netherealm and is a significant match for Cole but also Bi Han. Cole then has to figure out who he really is (Hanzo's decendant but also that maybe Cole isn't comfortable with being a killer). If Cole isn't a killer then this still enables Hanzo to get the killing blow to Bi Han and put Cole on the same playing field as Liu Kang and the other heroes who are less comfortable with the idea.

Of course this all changes the film in its entireity but I can see the idea of a descendant of Hanzo being his unwitting enemy having potential rather than a guy whose power it is to get his ass kicked and his character arc is not being a **** fighter despite that being his power.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post

Because the movie did a **** job explaining just about everything. Even the stuff they made up for the movie, like that "arcana" BS. Apparently you're supposed to unlock the power through some kind of emotional struggle and yet Sonya got hers right away. All she had to do was kill a guy she already didn't like. Hell even Liu Kang's explanation for his powers (if I'm remembering correctly) makes it seem less like it's something you have to unlock and more like something you get just by killing someone with the dragon mark...except for Kano. Who DID kill someone to get his mark and still had to unlock his powers.

Giving a reason for why supposedly normal humans in the MK mythos have superpowers was a good idea. But holy ****, at least be consistent with your own rules.
    Yeah you should absolutely never go into a film thinking you are just setting **** up for the sequel. Like MAYBE if it's like Lord of the Rings where the story is designed that way. But ths was just crap. They even told you that the tournament was a big deal and we never got it. You don't do that in a film. You are basically telegraphing that this isn't the important film. And now it's gotten a bad reception so who knows if they will even do a sequel. You could have just done the tournament and had a great first film.

Also the studio is stupid. They want to make money on an IP but then make the main character a no name and then kill off one 2 of the most popular villains and one of the most popular heroes...

The only way I can see the future movies working out is if they kill off this Cole Yang character in the next one, preferably at the very beginning. But if they intend to make him the lead of the franchise...yeah, they fatality-ed themselves.

The first 7 or so minutes with Scorpion vs Sub-Zero was awesome. Sub-Zero showing up in the present to drive off Cole and fam into Jax's car was awesome. Scorpion vs Jax in the warehouse was awesome. The final bout between Scorpion and Sub-Zero was great (would have reached awesome status if Scorpion didn't need to team up with Cole).

Basically Sub-Zero was this greatly used and built up beast, and Scorpion was hella neat.

The casting in general was pretty spot on I think (haven't played a game since the 90s). The CGI on Goro was great. Kano was a fun standout, and while it should've been tech not magic his eye laser looked good. Kung Lao was fun and they did his hat well. Some of the fight scenes were really good (the ones where they didn't use choppy editing, or have to go back and forth between simultaneous fights).

All these positives, and yet everything else about this movie drags it down into mediocrity. I give it a C. Will I get the blu-ray and watch it again? Definitely. Will it only be to see the Sub-Zero scenes and Scorpion stuff again? You better believe it. Same reason I own Batman v Superman on blu too, for the Batmobile chase and the warehouse fight. Sometimes there's truly great stuff in truly bleh films.

But seriously, Scorpion and Sub-Zero were a delight to watch. The rest, not so much.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    All these positives, and yet everything else about this movie drags it down into mediocrity. I give it a C. Will I get the blu-ray and watch it again? Definitely. Will it only be to see the Sub-Zero scenes and Scorpion stuff again? You better believe it. Same reason I own Batman v Superman on blu too, for the Batmobile chase and the warehouse fight. Sometimes there's truly great stuff in truly bleh films.
    You're telling me you don't watch "MARTHA!" every weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    You're telling me you don't watch "MARTHA!" every weekend!
    I only watch that movie a few times a year, and I only pay attention to those two scenes I love. I tune out the rest of it, especially "MARTHA!" because I'm not a masochist.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I only watch it a few times a year, and I only pay attention to those two scenes I love. I tune out the rest of it, especially "MARTHA!" because I'm not a masochist.
    Hahaha, I don't even dislike BvS as a movie-watching experience, but MARTHA! is such a big fail