Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    There's also Sonic the Hedgehog, the first Mortal Kombat movie and even the first Resident Evil film was considered decent.
    Really? I remember it was dogged by videogame purists from day 1 from being the Alice Show featuring Resident Evil. I remember being really disappointed by the first two movies, but eventually got into it and was satisfied by how Final Chapter wrapped up. Which is why I don't feel like dismissing a new Mortal Kombat sequel out of hand. I'll watch the new RE reboot which is going to be more game accurate.

I think Sonic could be a fair standard for a great or at least enjoyable modern videogame movie that was received well enough on the first try it already confirmed a sequel.

Just watched it. First scene is great and then it just nose dives. I can't believe they made a movie that makes the first flick seem even better and more true to the source material.

Heard it wasn’t great but I was hoping to at least have a good time. Amazed how bad this was.
    Last edited by Robotman; 04-27-2021 at 11:48 PM.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

There's also Sonic the Hedgehog, the first Mortal Kombat movie and even the first Resident Evil film was considered decent.
    The first Resident Evil movie is dog shit.

My big take away is that until MK movies does MK 9,10,11 stories and guess you need Armageddon as well. That movies are going to suck to some level MK 10 and 11 had good stories that would translate well as movies. The first group of MK game stories was hit or miss. The key part of Mortal Kombat and what the film got right is that less interesting part of the mythos is the tournament they just didn't have compelling story to tell out of tournament but they are some good stories they can use for movies.

The other big take away is MK needs to go MCU style, Give us Scorpion vs Sub Zero movie, Give us a Shaolin Bros movie, Give us a Sonya, Jax, Johnny Cage cage movie that all tie into Big MK tourny movie. I think focus on just couple characters will work better overall. The best part of the movie was opening scene, I would prefer to watch a whole movie of fighting between Scorpion and Sub Zero clan than this movie that just had too many thing squeezed in. I guess premium cable/streaming show where you do all these things can work as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    Really? I remember it was dogged by videogame purists from day 1 from being the Alice Show featuring Resident Evil.
    I thought it was okay. At the very least, I like it better than most of the sequels.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    My big take away is that until MK movies does MK 9,10,11 stories and guess you need Armageddon as well. That movies are going to suck to some level MK 10 and 11 had good stories that would translate well as movies. The first group of MK game stories was hit or miss. The key part of Mortal Kombat and what the film got right is that less interesting part of the mythos is the tournament they just didn't have compelling story to tell out of tournament but they are some good stories they can use for movies.

The other big take away is MK needs to go MCU style, Give us Scorpion vs Sub Zero movie, Give us a Shaolin Bros movie, Give us a Sonya, Jax, Johnny Cage cage movie that all tie into Big MK tourny movie. I think focus on just couple characters will work better overall. The best part of the movie was opening scene, I would prefer to watch a whole movie of fighting between Scorpion and Sub Zero clan than this movie that just had too many thing squeezed in. I guess premium cable/streaming show where you do all these things can work as well.
    Or they could just do a t.v. series which can more easily focus on multiple characters in a shorter amount of time.

Or they could just do a t.v. series which can more easily focus on multiple characters in a shorter amount of time.
    Nah, multiple movies ala the MCU would be better. You get all the characterization over them all, but each one is a bigger event than one show can be. Worked for the Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Nah, multiple movies ala the MCU would be better. You get all the characterization over them all, but each one is a bigger event than one show can be. Worked for the Avengers.
    Maybe but I'm not sure it would work for Mortal Kombat where I can think of only a few characters who can justify having an entire movie to themselves. Besides, just because it's a t.v. show doesn't mean it can't be an event in its own right.

Remember Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Li?

A TV show would be better because you could not only allow the characters and individual stories time to develop, they can also spare the less compelling characters the burden of carrying it on their own.

Real talk: the only MK characters that could carry a solo movie are Scorpion and Sub-Zero, Kitana, maybe Raiden, and you could probably make something out of Sonya & Jax hunting the Black Dragon.
    Liu Kang doesn't have a backstory to explore. His story is the tournament. Johnny Cage works best as a secondary character--not a lead. Beyond that, you got minor characters and villains.

Mortal Kombat needs a TV show that would be structured like Game of Thrones where every episode checks in on all the main characters and their sub-plots.

Maybe but I'm not sure it would work for Mortal Kombat where I can think of only a few characters who can justify having an entire movie to themselves. Besides, just because it's a t.v. show doesn't mean it can't be an event in its own right.
    Not everyone needs a movie though. Those who can't support a film can be used in another character's film.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    I'm assuming they'd try to make a movie better than that. Just because you can name a bad movie doesn't negate characters getting a movie. Again, the MCU model can work, obviously.

A TV show would be better because you could not only allow the characters and individual stories time to develop, they can also spare the less compelling characters the burden of carrying it on their own.
    I disagree. The less compelling characters don't need to support a movie, they can just have subplots and scenes in the other character's movies or the crossover movies. And a series still wouldn't have enough time for all the stories to develop because all the characters are being jammed into just one series. Giving the characters with the bulk of the stories to tell their own separate movies to tell them leading up to the big crossover would be better.

Mortal Kombat needs a TV show that would be structured like Game of Thrones where every episode checks in on all the main characters and their sub-plots.
    It needs a show that from all reviews got shittier and shittier with each consecutive season?

All I'm reading is the usual complaints that no franchise should ever be a movie ever again and all franchises need to be some epic tier streaming show.

Real talk: the only MK characters that could carry a solo movie are Scorpion and Sub-Zero, Kitana, maybe Raiden, and you could probably make something out of Sonya & Jax hunting the Black Dragon.
    Liu Kang doesn't have a backstory to explore. His story is the tournament. Johnny Cage works best as a secondary character--not a lead. Beyond that, you got minor characters and villains.

I fail to see how Kitana could carry a movie when Liu Kang can't. We've seen him do it at least once. His backstory isn't explored much because it isn't needed.

I'm not even sure if Scorpion and Sub-Zero truly can carry a movie since when they gave Scorpion an animated film they just hi-jacked the tournament and gave Liu Kang's role to him.

Astonishing Member

Any character can carry a story with the right writers. Marvel is making a movie about Shang-Chi and had Ant Man for example.

I do think it makes the most financial sense to start with the more popular characters in the MK Lore. (Which are probably Scorpion and Sub-Zero)

It needs a show that from all reviews got shittier and shittier with each consecutive season?
    Um...no. The last two seasons of GoT were a disaster, but I don't know what world you're living in where Seasons 2, 3, and 4 were "shittier and shittier." Season 5 was seen as a misstep and 6 still got strong reviews.
    None of which, by the by, has anything to do with plot structure, which is what I was referring to.

I love how you think cramming everyone into a movie will somehow allow more time for development than an ongoing TV series. You keep referring to the MCU, but the MK cast is not the Marvel universe.

I fail to see how Kitana could carry a movie when Liu Kang can't. We've seen him do it at least once. His backstory isn't explored much because it isn't needed.

I'm not even sure if Scorpion and Sub-Zero truly can carry a movie since when they gave Scorpion an animated film they just hi-jacked the tournament and gave Liu Kang's role to him.
    With Kitana, you can explore her history as Shao Kahn's assassin, her relationship with Mileena and Jade, how she discovered the truth about her past and what led to her deciding to turn against Kahn (I'm referring to the original timeline of course, not the MK9 reboot which royally screwed her up in every way).

I assume that's what people mean when they say characters should get their own individual movies? To build up to a main Mortal Kombat movie which would be about the actual tournament or Outworld invasion? Because when you say Liu Kang carried a movie, you mean the actual Mortal Kombat featuring all the other characters, yes? That wouldn't necessarily be a "solo movie."

Um...no. The last two seasons of GoT were a disaster, but I don't know what world you're living in where Seasons 2, 3, and 4 were "shittier and shittier." Season 5 was seen as a misstep and 6 still got strong reviews.
    None of which, by the by, has anything to do with plot structure, which is what I was referring to.

I love how you think cramming everyone into a movie will somehow allow more time for development than an ongoing TV series. You keep referring to the MCU, but the MK cast is not the Marvel universe.
    I haven't seen GoT, just the reviews. Guess the last couple of seasons were so bad it gave the impression that it was just always getting worse as an outsider looking in.

I love how you think I said "cramming everyone into a movie" when I went out of my way to say twice that some characters would only show up in some movies in smaller roles. It was obvious that I meant some characters will show up in character A's movie, others will show up in character B's, etc. But I guess you can't make an argument unless you twist it around.

(Sorry I went rude there, but frankly "I love how you" fucking arguments just always piss me off as condescending as hell, so I respond in kind - I believe you knew what I meant, and pretended otherwise, which is just not a good faith debate).

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Sub-Zero and Scorpion can definitely carry a movie. Remember, Sub-Zero actually had his own game in 97. An adaption of that game can easily be a movie. Scorpion is in it so that kills two birds with one stone.