Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Common Writer View Post
    Having every Mortal Kombat film be about the tournament is like having every MCU film being about Contest of Champions. Eventually, that model will lose its luster.
    Except that isn't what they said.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Look at how the games escalated. The first game had the tournament in a isolated island in Earthrealm. They lose the tournament than Outworld takes over. In the second game, Shang Tsung kidnaps two of Earthrealms champions to force another tournament immediately after the first in a desperate attempt to gain victory. He also forces the heroes in his home turf of Outworld to do it giving him all the advantage. Even with that he still loses. MK3 they go full invasion.
    MK3 isn't about the tournament. Neither are most of the games after that.

iMan 42s

And all of these games including Soul Calibur will work better as film adaptations than Mortal Kombat would because they aren't tournament-based.
    The Hell are you on about? MK hasn't been tournament based outside the ot and Shaolin monk's retelling. Even the reboot was only a third of it even being a tournament and only two thirds in the game it's even brought up.

The games are tower ladders but the actual plots haven't done that in a while. But if you're going to do a movie about the Mortal Kombat tournament then you need to do a movie about the MK tournament. All that tells me is that the writers and your post in particular have no idea what these games are even about.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

I was so close to loving this movie. The presence of the Rocket Raccoon surrogate, Kano was insufferable. The movie itself is inherently campy, you don't have to inject slapdash Joss Whedon humor into the film.

The profanity was also poorly handled. There are films that feature expletives in every other sentence and come off completely natural. This movie's dialogue simply isn't good enough to pull this off. Frankly it feels like a PG movie with f-bombs dubbed in.

I'm actually interested in the prospect of a sequel, and I hope it's better than this, which is entirely possible with Kano (probably) dead.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 05-05-2021 at 10:07 AM.

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    I was so close to loving this movie. The presence of the Rocket Raccoon surrogate, Kano was insufferable. The movie itself is inherently campy, you don't have to inject slapdash Joss Whedon humor into the film.

The profanity was also poorly handled. There are films that feature expletives in every other sentence and come off completely natural. This movie's dialogue simply isn't good enough to pull this off. Frankly it feels like a PG movie with f-bombs dubbed in.

I'm actually interested in the prospect of a sequel, and I hope it's better than this, which is entirely possible with Kano (probably) dead.
    I thought Kano was one of the better parts of this movie. I loved all his stuff.

I do agree on the F-bombs as a whole tho. It felt like Suits (and some of the other shows on the USA Network that ran later in the evening) and the writers were like ['oh we can use '****'?' and get away with it???' and it's like every other sentence, someone is throwing out the word to be edgy and adult.
    Geek / Gamer / Filmmaker / Indy Pro Wrestler
    @SebastionEnvi (Twitter/Instagram)
    youtube.com/SkunkLifeMedia

Extraordinary Member

Having every Mortal Kombat film be about the tournament is like having every MCU film being about Contest of Champions. Eventually, that model will lose its luster.

Ideally, a well-adapted Mortal Kombat movie should have more in common with The Raid than with Enter The Dragon.

The first film should focus on a team of commandoes (Jax, Sonya, Stryker) deployed into a Central American tenement ran by a ruthless crimelord Kano. Along the way, they encounter an army of killers, thugs, and strange creatures who wish them harm. Their job is to track down the Black Dragon Cartel and bring them to justice. We soon learn that the Black Dragon is like Hydra, stretching out into different realms of the Mortal Kombat Cinematic Universe.
    Mortal Kombat has two games that are actually based off a tournament. The original and a forced rematch in the sequel. People want the original tournament because it’s the most well known set up of Earth Realm being on the ropes and on its last chance as Shang Tsung’s champion Goro has 9 consecutive wins and this last one is Earth’s last hope to avoid being taken over. But even the old film series basically just did the original premise and then in the sequel did a kind of Mortal Kombat 2/3 hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by KabutoRyder View Post
    I thought Kano was one of the better parts of this movie. I loved all his stuff.

I do agree on the F-bombs as a whole tho. It felt like Suits (and some of the other shows on the USA Network that ran later in the evening) and the writers were like ['oh we can use '****'?' and get away with it???' and it's like every other sentence, someone is throwing out the word to be edgy and adult.
    Mature doesn't always mean swearing, blood fountains, and breasts everywhere.

I think a lot of entertainment on the "mature" end still focuses on those teenage boys.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member

It's weird, the more I think about it, the more I like it.

I guess how many times are you watching a movie, the protagonists are dumb and you're like "If they only did XXX, the could have ended the movie in 10 minutes."

Well the protagonists pretty much executed a flawless plan where nothing went wrong and they ended up saving the day in like 10 minutes. It's kind of a good twist on the ending I guess.

Other way around for me. The more I think about it, the more I wonder why not just have Cole "Ghost Rider" into Scorpion for the final fight.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Other way around for me. The more I think about it, the more I wonder why not just have Cole "Ghost Rider" into Scorpion for the final fight.
    I feel like that was what happened in the original script/cut for this storyline. Cole was possessed by the blade and becomes Scorpion for that fight. That was one part of the movie that was "WTF" for me and didn't really have the same emotional climax that it could have. Also would have tied Cole to the franchise.

Now what do they do? Do they throw Cole into the next game? Does he take on another identity? Does he end up becoming the new version of a character we already know? The Arcana thing was weird and we don't really know much about it so they could easily write up some excuse to change his powers if they want to.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    I feel like that was what happened in the original script/cut for this storyline. Cole was possessed by the blade and becomes Scorpion for that fight. That was one part of the movie that was "WTF" for me and didn't really have the same emotional climax that it could have. Also would have tied Cole to the franchise.

Now what do they do? Do they throw Cole into the next game? Does he take on another identity? Does he end up becoming the new version of a character we already know? The Arcana thing was weird and we don't really know much about it so they could easily write up some excuse to change his powers if they want to.
    He resembles Takeda the most, so I'd retrofit him as that as it brings in Kenshi, too. But I get a feeling they'll keep him as is.

Just finished watching the film. I mean yeah, overall it was bad. The dialogue came off weird and the plot didn't make much sense. I say "much sense" because there was still some sense. The plot and logic weren't completely WTF. But there were moments were I was thinking WTF. Usually the fight scenes could save a film but even here the film falls short. I"m expecting great fights like JOhnny Cage vs. Scorpion, or Liu Kang's fights with Sub-Zero, Reptile, and Shang Tsung from the first film. No fight here measured up to those. Like, at all.

The acting was bad too. For me, things only became better when Liu Kang came onto the scene. His dialogue was WTF but it was to be expected since he's this otherworldly fighter. Plus Ludi Lin's delivery was dramatic which was a good thing.

Still, I think I'm going to have a second go at this. The fight scenes were pretty cool nonetheless.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

HBO MAX exec says Mortal Kombat exceeded expectations and became a top asset of the platform

In an exclusive interview with IGN, Brad Wilson - Warner Media’s executive vice president of growth and revenue - discussed HBO Max's new period of uncertainty, as Warner Media (who owns HBO Max) is being spun off from AT&T and merging with Discovery. However, during that interview, Wilson also talked briefly about the new Mortal Kombat film, which opened simultaneously in theaters and HBO Max earlier this year, stating:
    Mortal Kombat was an interesting title for us, because I will say that while we expected it to do well, we did not expect it to do as well as it did. It's been one of our top assets on the platform. And those customers are now crossing over into watching all the other great titles that we typically see, but also some of the great library content that we have with Friends, The Big Bang Theory, The Sopranos, etc.
    https://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/...ons-on-hbo-max

Cool, I liked the first one a lot (it's better than the live action one). Hope this one's good too.

All-New Member King Saturn Reborn's Avatar

This movie would have been Light Years better if the Main Character aka Cole Young was omitted from the Script. Mortal Kombat 2021 should have focused more on Scorpion and Sub-Zero.