Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

It’s weird that a movie that makes such an effort to take Mortal Kombat lore seriously could mess that aspect up so spectacularly. Tries to be epic but feels low stakes. The fights are better than the previous attempts but the look of it all is hokey in different ways.
    Maybe I’d feel different if I saw it in a theater, but the world felt so empty that everything just seemed small and undercooked. This OC doofus was not engaging and all he served to do was pull focus away from the characters that made this franchise popular. Not a fan.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    It’s weird that a movie that makes such an effort to take Mortal Kombat lore seriously could mess that aspect up so spectacularly. Tries to be epic but feels low stakes. The fights are better than the previous attempts but the look of it all is hokey in different ways.
    Maybe I’d feel different if I saw it in a theater, but the world felt so empty that everything just seemed small and undercooked. This OC doofus was not engaging and all he served to do was pull focus away from the characters that made this franchise popular. Not a fan.
    Quoted for truth.

From the sound of it this entry seems a long prologue. Can't say if that's good or bad yet since I haven't seen it, but that's the impression I'm getting. That anywhere near accurate?
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    From the sound of it this entry seems a long prologue. Can't say if that's good or bad yet since I haven't seen it, but that's the impression I'm getting. That anywhere near accurate?
    You're right.

Because the actual MK tournament didn't take place in the movie.

Oy disappointed by this film. Never would have thought Kano would be my favorite character.

Scorpion/Subzero was cool but the way they handled the characters I didn't like. So no Scorpion going forward? He gets his revenge then his souls free to rest. He's thee most popular character from the game and he's in 10mins of the film and then gone. Also how did Subzero live hundreds of years? I assume killing Scoprions bloodline was the cost of long life granted by Shang Tsung. Though I don't recall that ever being stated.

Jax's arms was weird af but I like Mechad brooks. Sonya was fine I guess. Liu was underused but that might have been a good thing. His acting was a little weird and I like Ludi. When he touched Kano and Kano said "The Fu**?" That's my reaction to half the choices in this film. The costumes were cheap looking at times or just weird. Subzero and Scorpion were too bulky but atleast looked good.

Kabals voice was weird. It came out crystal clear with that makes on and was just odd to me.

Some of the fights were good and the gore was solid.

Kano getting an actual laser beam power and not a robotic eye is my only complaint with him. He was genuinely funny.

Overall I give the movie a C. I enjoyed it enough but was severely disappointed.

Ultimate Member

I've been comparing the 2021 to the 1995 version and it's strange how much the 1995 version actually respected the characters and allowed each of them (except Kano) to get some cool moments.

Yes, Scorpion and Sub-zero were henchmen but they still got kick-ass fight scenes.

We got the Sub-zero fight scene with Liu Kang (this fight took place after we saw Sub-zero freeze some poor mook)
    We got the awesome Johnny Cage vs Scorpion fight
    We got the Liu Kang and Reptile scene (even if Reptile's origin didn't make sense, he at least got an awesome fight scene)
    We got Johnny Cage vs Goro (after we Goro had been introduced as a champion and killing Art Lean)
    We got the Liu Kang and Shang Tsung set against the Mortal Kombat theme

And all this was before we got the massive lore that the new movie could have drawn from.

It's really, really disappointing. If there's a sequel, they should focus on the game's characters and remove that Cole character, he added nothing to the movie.

BANNED

watching it right now first 29 minutes, so far I am sort of disappointed with the story telling.

Sonya is too easy accepting of Cole Young. that is not sonya.

Also the Jax fight scene with Sub Zero made no sense so far. why did Jax drive away with his car saving Cole and his family , only to drive directly to subzero and fight him only to have his arms gone? felt like a cheap way to explain why Jax is going to get robotic arms.

The story so far is rushing itself to get to something.

I am comparing it to the 95 film and so far so good the 1995 film story telling is better.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post

I felt like they made it a point to cast an Asian Lead because they were trying to not whitewash the movie.
    In other words because Hollywood hates white people.

RE: Kano being changed from what he was in the first MK game.. sometimes these things simply evolve into a new direction the creators wanna take the characters. See also Raiden, who in the first MK was participating in the tournament out of boredom and for shets and giggles, and who's ending involves him inviting the other gods to the tournament, leading to the destruction of the world. This fits into what TV Tropes likes to call "Early Installment Weirdness".
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by hareluyafan1 View Post
    Are you being sarcastic?

BANNED

Christopher Lambert as Raiden was the best part of the 1995 film. However it is nice to see Raiden played by an Asian actor this time around.

Astonishing Member

I liked the movie but I'll be miffed if we don't get the sequel it builds to.

Loved Sonya and how the movie managed to make her projectile not only not look lame but even make it insta-Fatality.

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

the guy who said it produced master of disguise and paul blart so maybe it's really himself that he hates

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Are you being sarcastic?
    Not entirely serious, a bit glib (I think that's the term) but not completely joking. Consider this, Johnny Cage was left out specifically because he's a white guy (the director himself has said this). You have Liu Kang (traditionally the main character), Kung Lao and Raiden. That's three Asian guys. Yet according to the person I replied to (titanfan), having one white guy who isn't a villain (and is a supporting character, not the main one) would be "whitewashing."

Quote Originally Posted by Castle
    Christopher Lambert as Raiden was the best part of the 1995 film. However it is nice to see Raiden played by an Asian actor this time around.
    Agreed.

Ultimate Member

Not entirely serious, a bit glib (I think that's the term) but not completely joking. Consider this, Johnny Cage was left out specifically because he's a white guy (the director himself has said this). You have Liu Kang (traditionally the main character), Kung Lao and Raiden. That's three Asian guys. Yet according to the person I replied to (titanfan), having one white guy who isn't a villain (and is a supporting character, not the main one) would be "whitewashing."

Agreed.
    Well, considering how Hollywood copies Asian cinema ideas yet barely gives leading roles to actors of Asian descent, I'm not exactly shedding tears. Admittedly I'm not well versed in MK lore, so idk how important Johnny cage is