Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    The nanotech relies on Vibranium as it's material right? Unless his suit is also made out of Vibranium, I am not sure it has anything to do with Wakanda tech.
    No link between Stark's nanotech and Wakanda's is ever mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I don't know how far that can go, though. It would be like saying Tony liked seeing a motor engine and proceeded to replicate it. While that would be true in a sense (one headline in the first movie said he built one from scratch as a child prodigy), he didn't invent the motor engine itself, since the engine would predate Tony's own existence by about a century. Improved upon it? Sure and probably likely, but not invented.

Tony outright tells Bruce that his suit employs nanotech in Infinity War, when he first henshins. It doesn't necessarily mean that his suit is all vibranium, but Tony explicitly answers nanotech when Bruce asks how he manifested the suit.

And to be clear, I'm not saying he can't improve upon Wakandan tech, but like any good tool or platform or game engine, it likely gave him a place to start. Some of the best video games currently often start from a base created by someone else (like the Unreal Engine), but that doesn't take away from the genius or credit of the game developers. An architect may not have invented cement or steel but could still build a skyscraper because of it and still be the most brilliant architect alive.
    None of this remotely implies that there is EDIT: Wakandan (sorry) nanotech in Stark's suit at all.

BP's suit in CW didn't have nanotech at all, so there is no reason to imagine that Stark got the idea from him. More than likely, he just decided to go that way after he no longer needed the arc reactor in his chest cavity.
    Last edited by big_adventure; 04-30-2021 at 04:25 AM.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

I mean Tony telling Bruce it uses Nanotech sorta implies there's Nanotech in Stark's suit. Unless that's a typo and you meant to say BP not Stark, there
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    I mean Tony telling Bruce it uses Nanotech sorta implies there's Nanotech in Stark's suit. Unless that's a typo and you meant to say BP not Stark, there
    It's nanotech, obviously. He explicitly say it is. It's just not Wakandan nanotech, nor is it in any way related to Wakandan tech at all. Why would it be, given that Tony's best stuff would make Shuri poop herself when she found out he did it without Vibranium?

EDIT: reread my post above and saw my stoopid.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

I suppose I'm misstating myself. I shouldn't have said Tony uses Wakandan tech, but he didn't invent nanotech, the Wakandans did (the tech was also outright named in Black Panther, not CW), and nanotech is a big part of their technology. I don't put it past Tony to create his own nanotech and improve upon it, but since it was a major point at the end of Black Panther that the country would make their tech more available to the world, and that we didn't see Tony use nanotech until Infinity War, I think it stands to reason that Tony learned about nanotech, found it to be innovative, and got to work with his nanotech after learning how it's made/how it works/its mechanics (and as we've seen his work with Bruce, he's a big proponent of sharing knowledge back and forth with intellects that he respects -- and Wakanda has got to be up there).

I mean, for an analogy, Peter Parker invented web-shooters, not Tony. But Tony built web-shooters, too (at least two additional versions), after seeing Peter in action per their conversation in Civil War. Were they upgraded in every way superior to the originals? You betcha, because Tony's smarter than Peter. My mistake in my previous post would've been to say that Tony used Spider-Man's tech to build them, rather than saying Tony was inspired by Spider-Man's tech. But Tony likely wouldn't have gotten the idea for those upgraded web-shooters (nor would he have any reason to build them) if Peter didn't invent the base the originals. Likewise, Tony was impressed by Peter's invention of the web-formula and their tensile strength but Tony took that formula to invent web grenades and ricochet webbing, among other things. Maybe Tony would have invented web-shooters at some point independent of ever knowing about Peter, but Peter's inventions were a big step in directing Tony to the world of web-shooters.

I really can see Wakandan nanotech as analogous to Peter's web-shooters and web-fluid, with Tony seeing what toys came first, then creating his own playthings, improving upon it, and then upgrading it even further, to make his own brand. Moreso, I really don't think that detracts from his genius but rather adds to his genius -- he *is* fundamentally an engineer, after all.
    Last edited by Cyke; 04-30-2021 at 10:35 AM.

I suppose I'm misstating myself. I shouldn't have said Tony uses Wakandan tech, but he didn't invent nanotech, the Wakandans did (the tech was also outright named in Black Panther, not CW), and nanotech is a big part of their technology. I don't put it past Tony to create his own nanotech and improve upon it, but since it was a major point at the end of Black Panther that the country would make their tech more available to the world, and that we didn't see Tony use nanotech until Infinity War, I think it stands to reason that Tony learned about nanotech, found it to be innovative, and got to work with his nanotech after learning how it's made/how it works/its mechanics (and as we've seen his work with Bruce, he's a big proponent of sharing knowledge back and forth with intellects that he respects -- and Wakanda has got to be up there).

I mean, for an analogy, Peter Parker invented web-shooters, not Tony. But Tony built web-shooters, too (at least two additional versions), after seeing Peter in action per their conversation in Civil War. Were they upgraded in every way superior to the originals? You betcha, because Tony's smarter than Peter. My mistake in my previous post would've been to say that Tony used Spider-Man's tech to build them, rather than saying Tony was inspired by Spider-Man's tech. But Tony likely wouldn't have gotten the idea for those upgraded web-shooters (nor would he have any reason to build them) if Peter didn't invent the base the originals. Likewise, Tony was impressed by Peter's invention of the web-formula and their tensile strength but Tony took that formula to invent web grenades and ricochet webbing, among other things. Maybe Tony would have invented web-shooters at some point independent of ever knowing about Peter, but Peter's inventions were a big step in directing Tony to the world of web-shooters.

I really can see Wakandan nanotech as analogous to Peter's web-shooters and web-fluid, with Tony seeing what toys came first, then creating his own playthings, improving upon it, and then upgrading it even further, to make his own brand. Moreso, I really don't think that detracts from his genius but rather adds to his genius -- he *is* fundamentally an engineer, after all.
    So Civil War happens before Black Panther proper, meaning the suit used in Black Panther that's Nanotech, isn't the suit used in Civil War.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

So Civil War happens before Black Panther proper, meaning the suit used in Black Panther that's Nanotech, isn't the suit used in Civil War.
    Yes, I'm aware of that. But if T'Challa makes their tech more widely available to the world at the end of BP, surely Tony would be one of the first, of not the first, in line to learn more about it? Even a tech demo or a special invitation by the king (or even just emails from T'Challa) would be enough to do that.

Sequence of events to clarify:
    - Tony meets T'Challa in Civil War. No nanotech used here
    - BP happens, nanotech is named here and stated as a Wakandan invention
    - T'Challa loosens tech restrictions at end of BP, very very publicly (and in a manner that echoes the end of Iron Man 1). Nanotech is no longer a secret to the world.
    - off screen (and admitted conjecture on my part) Tony takes full advantage of T'Challa's offer to the world to study Wakandan technology because nanotech is no longer a secret to the world.
    - off screen (for sure) Tony creates nanotech Iron Man suit
    - nanotech suit debuts in Infinity War

Tony wouldn't have seen nanotech used in Civil War, but there's plenty of time and connections between BP and Infinity War to do just that. And it's not like T'Challa ever indicated anything like a grudge against Tony that would act as a barrier, either. There's plenty of ways to get that info because T'Challa basically declared on TV that his tech would be shared with the world; I assume this also means specs if Tony ever requested them, or at least the general principles behind it. The existence of nanotech is public knowledge because of the end of Black Panther.
    Last edited by Cyke; 04-30-2021 at 01:58 PM.

Yes, I'm aware of that. But if T'Challa makes their tech more widely available to the world at the end of BP, surely Tony would be one of the first, of not the first, in line to learn more about it? Even a tech demo or a special invitation by the king (or even just emails from T'Challa) would be enough to do that.

Sequence of events to clarify:
    - Tony meets T'Challa in Civil War. No nanotech used here
    - BP happens, nanotech is named here and stated as a Wakandan invention
    - T'Challa loosens tech restrictions at end of BP, very very publicly (and in a manner that echoes the end of Iron Man 1). Nanotech is no longer a secret to the world.
    - off screen (and admitted conjecture on my part) Tony takes full advantage of T'Challa's offer to the world to study Wakandan technology because nanotech is no longer a secret to the world.
    - off screen (for sure) Tony creates nanotech Iron Man suit
    - nanotech suit debuts in Infinity War

Tony wouldn't have seen nanotech used in Civil War, but there's plenty of time and connections between BP and Infinity War to do just that. And it's not like T'Challa ever indicated anything like a grudge against Tony that would act as a barrier, either. There's plenty of ways to get that info because T'Challa basically declared on TV that his tech would be shared with the world; I assume this also means specs if Tony ever requested them, or at least the general principles behind it. The existence of nanotech is public knowledge because of the end of Black Panther.
    I guess the issue here is that we're inferring a lot to come to the conclusion that, when afforded the same starting base as the Wakandans, Tony makes it all better.

Which was basically my opening statement, with extra steps.

On an individual level (the battle), Tony wins. Wakanda wins the war.

Arx Inosaan

I guess the issue here is that we're inferring a lot to come to the conclusion that, when afforded the same starting base as the Wakandans, Tony makes it all better.

Which was basically my opening statement, with extra steps.

On an individual level (the battle), Tony wins. Wakanda wins the war.
    Yeah, I can get with all of that, and very much agree that Tony *greatly* improves upon that starting base. I do admit it's a lot of conjecture (and also cuz I stated things incorrectly in my first post), but considering the timeline of events and when what- or who- makes their debut, it becomes something to map out.

And yes, I take extra steps because *I* am extra, a-thank you.
    Last edited by Cyke; 04-30-2021 at 02:15 PM.

Yeah, I can get with all of that, and very much agree that Tony *greatly* improves upon that starting base. I do admit it's a lot of conjecture (and also cuz I stated things incorrectly in my first post), but considering the timeline of events and when what- or who- makes their debut, it becomes something to map out.

And yes, I take extra steps because *I* am extra, a-thank you.
    It's not extra, it's fabulous.

Arx Inosaan

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Wait, was the Extremis stuff nanotech?

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Wait, was the Extremis stuff nanotech?
    nah it was gene editing.

Arx Inosaan

It's not extra, it's fabulous.
    No, you are

(I heart you 3000)