Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

I'm wrapping up the RICHARD DRAGON, KUNG FU FIGHTER series and have really enjoyed seeing Ben's beginnings. (Not to mention Lady Shiva...!). I miss seeing him in comics.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    A live action, out of continuity martial arts DC movie along the lines of Soul of the Dragon would be great. But Soul of the Dragon only got made because it had Bruce in it and the only DC projects that use different time periods are stuff like Joker and the upcoming Superman. I highly doubt we'll get a Richard Dragon/Bronze Tiger project with the current state of the movies.

Limited in that he's mostly known for being part of the Suicide Squad and doesn't have as extensive or well publicized a relationship with other franchises like the Justice League or the world of spies. As big fans of the character we're definitely aware of the times he's dipped into other corners of the DCU but for most casual comic readers all they know of Ben is that he's sometimes a member of the Suicide Squad and is occasionally a rival to the likes of Batman.

So when it comes to multimedia adaptations he has a more limited range of places he can expect to appear because he's generally not seen by fans or suits as this 6 degrees of separation character who can seamlessly move between different IPs. Even if the DCU wasn't a mess I wouldn't expect Ben to ever become a legitimate member of the League, nor would I expect him to show up in a property like Global Guardians or Outsiders. At the end of the day, he's seen as a SS character and if he doesn't get love there it's hard to imagine he'd get used anywhere else. That's not a comment on the actual character (everyone in this thread knows he can fit into a bunch of different types of stories), more how he's perceived by the fandom and DC in general.
    Okay, I get what you were saying now. That I can agree with. I was going through Twitter threads and many people were asking for Ben and one thing people did know about him was him beating Batman and being one of the best fighters. I wish he was in this movie or in a bigger project because he can take off any minute with right material.

Quote Originally Posted by JLH View Post
    I'm wrapping up the RICHARD DRAGON, KUNG FU FIGHTER series and have really enjoyed seeing Ben's beginnings. (Not to mention Lady Shiva...!). I miss seeing him in comics.
    It's a good little series. I read it for the first time myself not to far back.

I recommend Bronze Tiger's first cameo appearance in Batman, that's good to.

Extraordinary Member

Jordan Calloway would be a great Ben turner

Astonishing Member

Great character!

I wish he and Nightshade had found their way into one of the films, but maybe it's better that they weren't in the most recent one -- which, I gather, had a heavy death toll.

Ultimate Member

The problem with Suicide Squad is that it's devolved into a villain only team, instead of majority villain team. Sadly, that limits Turner's ability to appear.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    The problem with Suicide Squad is that it's devolved into a villain only team, instead of majority villain team. Sadly, that limits Turner's ability to appear.
    Well on the movie side spoilers:
    Flagg’s death leaves the spot of “token good guy” open for Turner.
    end of spoilers
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member

We have seen him as a villain

if Ben makes a live-action theatrical appearance I'd rather it be alongside Richard Dragon and Lady Shiva so there wouldn't be any hesitation about showing off his martial arts prowess. There might be some pushback in a first appearance on Suicide Squad. Not as bad as Ironfist got on Netflix, but I could see it happening. If he's not going to appear alongside Shiva and Richard at least give him his iconic moment of fighting Batman.

To this date besting Batman in hand-to-hand combat, not once but twice is his most defining and iconic character moment. This is what gives Ben the clout and cache he so richly deserves.

Shiva, Richard Dragon, O-Sensei, and the League of Assasins that's the foundation that has informed his rep.

Sometimes DC forgets this and tries to make him a run-of-the-mill criminal or some weird were-panther, but his best incarnations always draw from his original foundation.

ps. WB isn't making another Suicide Squad
    The J-man

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    We have seen him as a villain
    I know, but in the Squad, he worked best as anti-hero/voice of reason. But even that concept has been undermined

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Well on the movie side spoilers:
    Flagg’s death leaves the spot of “token good guy” open for Turner.
    end of spoilers
    True ...I have the exact same thoughts.

Mighty Member

I know, but in the Squad, he worked best as anti-hero/voice of reason. But even that concept has been undermined
    Think of it as HOPEFULLY reserved for Bronze Tiger....but I doubt Gunn will be respectful to BT which is why I don't want BT to appear in a Gunn TSS movie. Gunn doesn't care for martial arts.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by JLH View Post
    That was actually a RETCON.

Bronze Tiger originally trained Richard Dragon....basically Dragon's master.