Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I wonder what Dick and Babs have ever had to use their legal degrees for ?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm now imagining Dick having had a law degree when he was a busboy at that sandwich shop in Chicago.

Astonishing Member

This continues to be paced pretty well (not too decompressed, good action, such and such), inoffensive, dialogue feels like the right people, world-building Bludhaven in micro-doses, and of course the art is just probably the biggest selling point.

I'm keeping my eye out for various Taylor critiques I've seen leveled and still so far nothing jumps out as "oh that was a bad call" or anything like that. Could see it happening but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it, of course, on its own merits this issue's fine in that regard. Nice to see some vintage Blockbuster henches. Nice to see an early-issue Tim team-up. Still nothing really to go on for Heartless yet, but that's just the structure of the build-up and again, we'll make decisions about that when we get to it as well, when we see more, find out more, or get real meat.

For me the highlight of the issue apart from Dick explaining the plan (and where they're going) completely on the fly with Tim ("We're getting off here" as he's already jumping off an L-Train) was the calling Babs back to the apartment / accusation of murder / law degree, former cop, daughter of Commish flex. Partly because of the canon lore drop of both what they went to college for back in the day and the canon flex of Dick's BPD stint, but mostly because of seeing them do something confident as civilians ... that's kind of one of those things that like happens to Bruce all the time throughout chronology. "Oh that Wayne guy might be the suspect" trope is a classic, and I always really like stories that present us with Dick finally being christened into some of the "Grown Up Bat Tropes", seeing how he handles the Tropes differently than his mentor is a great way to distinguish them and show what makes Dick you know, "better than Batman". Or at least different and awesome in his own right.

Still good so far. As far as the future I do think the ball can possibly be dropped hard - particularly in regard to whatever the hell the nature of this new Zucco kid turns out to be because it has to juggle ... oh like, FIVE different Zucco canon interpretations (three of which are pretty recent history (Dark Victory, Black Mirror and the existence of Sonia, New 52/Chicago) and either add another daughter to the Zucco Family story and figure out how to incorporate her ... or ignore a lot of other stuff that I rather like. And there's the problematic (lower case) element that she appears to be another attractive woman, and Dick has already slept with her sister, so if the Tropes get Troped, you know ... it's not necessarily unrealistic but it is another awkward Dick Grayson Wikipedia entry that could just be avoided with a more creative new character.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Favourite issue so far.

Extraordinary Member

This should be bimonthly book again. I miss having that.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Another great issue, it’s been a while since Nightwing was among the best Dc books.
    I loved every panel, Dick/Tim is a dynamic which has been missing for too long.
    I’ll buy the TPB of this run for sure.

Amazing Member

Really loving this so far, another fantastic issue.

The Art, the way the panels are structured which gives it a good pacing and movement, the writing, the character dynamic...all so well done.
    So great that it can so far live up to the hype.

Mighty Member

I've been enjoying this run so far, but man, this issue was a real homerun. Dick and a well written Tim, working together. The gag with Tim asking about Babs on the open channel was obvious, but still felt right.

I miss Tim Drake. But I can live with it if he gets good appearances like this from time to time.

Really digging the art on this title as well. Feels a bit old school, but with a real kinetic energy to it that suits Dick.

Amazing Member

This is the best Nightwing book I’ve read in a long, long time. Just a lot of fun!

Quote Originally Posted by dropkickjake View Post
    I'm now imagining Dick having had a law degree when he was a busboy at that sandwich shop in Chicago.
    Pretty much the only mistake in this issue. Dick dropped out of Hudson U without graduating, and studied “law” as an undergraduate only. He never went to law school or took the Bar Exam.

Babs OTOH has a J.D. and is admitted to the Bar.

But I mean, other than that nit picky detail, this issue was pretty much perfect. Truly. Just fantastic. Hard to believe that a year ago we were still suffering through Ric.
    Cheers - CL

Quote Originally Posted by Coco Loco View Post
    Pretty much the only mistake in this issue. Dick dropped out of Hudson U without graduating, and studied “law” as an undergraduate only. He never went to law school or took the Bar Exam.

But I mean, other than that nit picky detail, this issue was pretty much perfect. Truly. Just fantastic. Hard to believe that a year ago we were still suffering through Ric.
    Yeah, afaik the only Dick/Law school connection is old Earth-2 or whatever where he becomes a lawyer and later diplomat I think.

Extraordinary Member

to not get sued after his circus burned downs and all his employee got mauled

Quote Originally Posted by Coco Loco View Post

Really, the only practical use I can see them using it for is knowing what to arrest people for.

Really, the only practical use I can see them using it for is knowing what to arrest people for.
    Or knowing how to avoid giving them an out in court while investigating them.

Spectacular Member

Excellent, excellent issue. Redondo is as great as Kevin Maguire with facial expressions and does action far better - and I'm a huge Maguire fan. Tom Taylor keeps on being the best of the new superhero writers, with lots of heart and cool moments that feel earned. One of the only DC books I'm still following (Flash being the other). Which is both sad as I used to follow dozens, and an indication of how excellent this stuff is.