Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I loved the first one but didn't care for the second. I may just rent this one. I knew of the Warrens for years. They come from my home state actually and used to have a local access show and Lorraine made an appearance just down my street several falls ago. I wish I could have went but I couldn't. I was taking classes so that got in the way and it sold out pretty quickly. I find them facsinating.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    I loved the first one but didn't care for the second. I may just rent this one. I knew of the Warrens for years. They come from my home state actually and used to have a local access show and Lorraine made an appearance just down my street several falls ago. I wish I could have went but I couldn't. I was taking classes so that got in the way and it sold out pretty quickly. I find them facsinating.
    If you have HBO Max the movie is streaming on there for no extra cost come Friday. Even though I enjoyed the first conjuring and some of the spin off's like Annabelle, I will just catch this one on HBO Max instead of spending money at the theater lol.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Thankfully this film seems to have an actual story behind rather than act as spin off fodder like Annabelle 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Thankfully this film seems to have an actual story behind rather than act as spin off fodder like Annabelle 3.
    The real story is still pretty stupid.

Retired

I really like to watch Vera Farmiga and Patrick Wilson on screen. They both have interesting faces that I'm addicted to looking at. So I don't even care if the movie is good, because they are always good.

Actually, I'd just as soon the movies never said anything about the stories being from the true life experiences of the Warrens, or showed the real life couple or any documentary footage. I don't want to be reminded that Vera Farmiga and Patrick Wilson are playing two people that existed in real life. Because the fictional couple is what I want to see and the real stuff just gets in the way of that.

I do wonder about some of the rules of the Conjuring universe--they are so inconsistent. I think in one of the earlier movies they said that a demon had to be invited in and in the second Annabelle movie I felt like the rules were violated in that the little girl isn't asking to be possessed. Nor is the little boy in this movie. The movie's Catholicism presents God as someone who plays fair and has a certain set of rules and as long as you play by those rules, you should be safe. But so many bad things happen to good people, that the God in this universe doesn't seem fair at all. It's a Book of Job kind of God--who seems to be allowing Satan to do all this stuff to people just to prove some esoteric point.

But this movie gives Vera Farmiga and Patrick Wilson a lot to do and I was nervous for their characters all the time. So it satisfied that odd interest of mine (just don't get young actors to play them).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I really like to watch Vera Farmiga and Patrick Wilson on screen. They both have interesting faces that I'm addicted to looking at. So I don't even care if the movie is good, because they are always good.

Actually, I'd just as soon the movies never said anything about the stories being from the true life experiences of the Warrens, or showed the real life couple or any documentary footage. I don't want to be reminded that Vera Farmiga and Patrick Wilson are playing two people that existed in real life. Because the fictional couple is what I want to see and the real stuff just gets in the way of that.
    While I didn't like this movie as much as previous ones (the monster of the week wasn't as "iconic" this time, I felt the movie peaked kinda early, and the trailer I watched beforehand felt extra spoilery, I'd like to think being a little fatigued from work didn't help), but I still felt the movie knew it was more about the human factor and I felt that ended on a good enough note. And the Exorcism/witchery scenes were cool enough.

I do wonder about some of the rules of the Conjuring universe--they are so inconsistent. I think in one of the earlier movies they said that a demon had to be invited in and in the second Annabelle movie I felt like the rules were violated in that the little girl isn't asking to be possessed. Nor is the little boy in this movie.
    They did bring up here that the boy didn't call a demon in. I thought this makes the Annabelle doll a Satanic totem retroactively, created from intense prayer answered wrongly rather than malicious rituals (but it's been a while since I watched the last Annabelle).

I was hoping we'd see the lawyer actually meeting Annabelle.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    I was hoping we'd see the lawyer actually meeting Annabelle.
    That was an odd jump. They set up this expectation that the lawyer is going to visit their home and then we don't see it. It jumps ahead. I found that jarring. I was ready for that and it didn't happen. Maybe it's a deleted scene.

It might have been unnecessary for those of us who already know this stuff from the previous movies--but since not everyone has seen every movie, it would have provided a chance to review the lore for newbies. And it just seems a set piece that belongs in every Conjuring movie, as we revisit their museum of the weird.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    The real story is still pretty stupid.
    I'm so invested in Vera and Patrick's characters that I'm willing to let a lesser movie slide. I definitely didn't like this one as much as the first two but I still had a good time.

Hmmm...I think I like this better than 2, and about the same as 1.

If this was sequel/spinoff bait, at least they kept it hidden. Part 2 seemed like nothing but fodder for the Nun movie. Not that it wasn't enjoyable, but it seemed like they brushed the actual premise aside quickly to get to the Nun stuff.

Plus I like the idea that the antagonist was basically spoilers:
    an evil Lorraine Warren, at least in as far as she used her "gifts". Shows Lorraine could be dangerous if she wanted to be.
    end of spoilers.

I'm curious as to where Conjuring 4 will go. I wonder if the pattern is to have two movies set in the same decade. If so, 4 will be late 80s, and 5 and 6 will be the 90s.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Hmmm...I think I like this better than 2, and about the same as 1.

If this was sequel/spinoff bait, at least they kept it hidden. Part 2 seemed like nothing but fodder for the Nun movie. Not that it wasn't enjoyable, but it seemed like they brushed the actual premise aside quickly to get to the Nun stuff.
    I enjoyed this more the 2nd time so I'd be happy to blame being tired and whatever expectations I had before.

But now that you mention it I loved part 2 at the time but wonder if all the Nun stuff is going to age badly.

Lightbulb

My friend, who has inside knowledge of the events involved, has posted a blistering video exposé of the case that inspired this recent hit movie. If you want the real unvarnished story give his video a watch -

"So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."