Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

I'm just glad fox can no longer wank off to the x-men metaphor while bastardizing the movies. That's all i got. I tried to wash age of Apocalypse the other day and i had to turn it off immediately. I mean i know, i know, not all egyptians are dark but i'll be damn if someone is going to tell me they all look white. That was the first head scratcher. Then when they got to the institute and literally every last mutant in that first scene when scott arrived i was like "i'm done." So yeah.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I still wish the cartoons were better.
    This. so much this. Marvel animation team should be ashamed of themselves imo.

I'm surprised disney animation didn't take over the animation department.

I think Pixar could make a great "disney princess" Storm movie. She already a princess.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post

Disney bought Marvel in 2009 or so, and you didn't have Black Panther until 2017. You make it sound as if it was some immediate thing or immediate connection. When Disney bought Marvel between 2008-2015 or so it still made movies largely centered around white men just as the comics historically have centered on white men.
    OP has a point as it was Disney that sided with Kevin Feige when him and Ike Perlmutter fell out over the future direction of the MCU. If Marvel were still independent at that point that power struggle may have ended with Feige's departure as Perlmutter's standing in the company would have been much bigger in that case.

So I think Disney was crucial for Perlmutter's disempowerment and thus for the more diverse movies from 2015 on. The blame for the non-diverse movie slate until 2015 is mostly on Perlmutter.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    OP has a point as it was Disney that sided with Kevin Feige when him and Ike Perlmutter fell out over the future direction of the MCU.
    That happened because Perlmutter was becoming incompetent on stuff where it counted i.e. driving RDJ away and irritating above-the-line personnel. Disney did not demote Perlmutter because he wasn't greenlighting Black Panther, lol!

And besides Perlmutter is still there and making money of these films, most of which went to the Trump Presidency and Republican causes.

If Marvel were still independent at that point that power struggle may have ended with Feige's departure as Perlmutter's standing in the company would have been much bigger in that case.
    The fact is the MCU began without Disney and Disney mostly wants it to run without direct interference. As far as Black Panther is concerned, credit Kevin Feige or Nate Moore (who was the main hands-on producer and one of the few African-American executives with creative say in Hollywood).

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Jack, I'm not going to argue with you because it seems like your mind is made up...
    Is that not true for you?

I point out many examples of stuff you credit to Disney that was done before and done better by other people, I point out many examples of artists being exploited by this company, and also point out actual evidence that Disney is not inherently responsible for the stuff you credit to it, and I also point out you can celebrate the stuff you like in Black Panther and Shang-Chi without crediting a provably dubious corporation and you simply want to continue heedless.

Unfortunately they allow said creative works to be showcased in worldwide box offices.
    Why is that even the slightest bit of the least relevance?

Why does it matter so much that the thing you like is imperialized into the consciousness of every part of the world? Why are you so attached to the idea of power to validate the thing you like?

I mean Black Panther for instance was a global hit but it's overwhelming majority happened in US Grosses. It earned $700mn in domestic grosses which is the highest take for a Non-Avengers MCU movie. By and large the movie was a success because it succeeded in America more than it did anywhere else in the world. It has to be pointed out that the box-office numbers of any movie is supremely misleading. In general when you hear a movie made $1bn worldwide that doesn't literally mean that much money teleports in a money bin somewhere. A movie's box-office gross is for the most part divided into many parts and siphoned to different parties and in general the US grosses are at the heart of any American blockbuster's profitability. Most of the international grosses to local studios and distributors and tariffs and customs.

Moreover, they are the IP holders there's no getting away from that.
    That's an "Is-Ought" Fallacy at work.

And you do not have to like it - that's cool, but why grind that axe here?
    Who put "I will forever love Disney" in the title of the OP? Who decided to make a corporate high level acquisition at the center of their geeking out? Geeking out is fine and good. Attaching it to the former is a political choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, there's been rumours recently that DC might shut up shop... and frankly, it's not unrealistic considering how many staff have gone recently. Being owned by a megacorp doesn't mean a comics publisher is safe.
    On that note, a word from the people laid off by Disney during the Pandemic:
    https://www.insider.com/disney-layof...andemic-2021-4

The fact is that the movies aren't even a major percentage of the bread and butter of Disney's business. That's the theme park and hotels, and merchandise. That's the money. The movies are a line-item or a boutique division at best especially with streaming coming in. The comics are a hobby and past-time in comparison. In the '80s, Disney considered gutting their animation division because of low profits and if not for The Little Mermaid being a success, they would have done it too.

Disney is not anyone's friend, never forget that.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    and it was one of the few times the Sub Mariner got his own cartoon!
    Correct! Still love the theme song

LOL! This is perfect. Loved it.

Peace

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    LOL! This is perfect. Loved it.

Peace
    As the saying goes, never give people the best tools to use against you, lol!!!

What is it with you and corporations, anyway, Jack?

I’m excited for Disney Marvel & Star Wars parks when my kids get older. I’m loving the movies and now shows, my kids love the cartoon shows. Disney+ is amazing. I’m thrilled with Disney’s purchase because I believe it allowed more visibility for Marvel throughout the world.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Correct! Still love the theme song

LOL. I have actually never heard that(even though I do love early Marvel animation, mainly for nostalgia). Not quite the quality we are hoping for in the future but still fun to see!

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    OMG! Totally agree! I don't care how limited the animation is, I just want to watch the 1966 Marvel animated series!

This is what I’m talking about. Some of this Endgame is from the 1966 animation and it was remastered. It looks great. Disney needs to do the same thing to the originals. Plus the 67 Spider-Man.
    Last edited by Dreaded Porcupine; 04-25-2021 at 01:46 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DT Winslow View Post
    What is it with you and corporations, anyway, Jack?
    My reasons for being against corporations aren't any more original or unusual compared to the most common reasons for being against corporations.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    ...the 1966 animation...
    The 1966 cartoon used Jack Kirby's pages and did light cell animation, and he wasn't paid, acknowledged or compensated for the unlicensed use of his art-work.

The 1966 cartoon used Jack Kirby's pages and did light cell animation, and he wasn't paid, acknowledged or compensated for the unlicensed use of his art-work.
    I do not know the business dealings that went on back then or now. I’ve always acknowledged Kirby’s, Ditko’s, Heck’s and whoever else’s gorgeous art contributed to these animations. You’ll have to take that up with Stan’s estate, Grantray-Lawrence and Disney. I just read comic books and watch animations. I do own book one of The Marvel Superheroes on TV Iron Man episode guide and they do credit the Marvel artists as well as the Grantray-Lawrence artists when they created their own art for the series. I agree Kirby got the shaft through the years but I can still enjoy his art.
    Last edited by Dreaded Porcupine; 04-25-2021 at 02:21 PM.

BANNED

You’ll have to take that up with Stan’s estate, Grantray-Lawrence and Disney. I just read comic books and watch animations.
    If you read comic books and watch animation, then you can praise the cartoons and celebrate it all you wish.

In a thread talking about why Pledging Fealty to the Feudal Master Disney for their Annexation of the Marvel Territory and why they would be a better and kinder master to the serfs, it's probably not the best look unless some basic facts are acknowledged.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I do not know the business dealings that went on back then or now. I’ve always acknowledged Kirby’s, Ditko’s, Heck’s and whoever else’s gorgeous art contributed to these animations. You’ll have to take that up with Stan’s estate, Grantray-Lawrence and Disney. I just read comic books and watch animations. I do own book one of The Marvel Superheroes on TV Iron Man episode guide and they do credit the Marvel artists as well as the Grantray-Lawrence artists when they created their own art for the series. I agree Kirby got the shaft through the years but I can still enjoy his art.
    It happened too late for Kirby but the Kirby heirs did eventually get compensation in 2014. Their case was on the verge of going to the Supreme court and Disney blinked since they had more to lose than the Kirby family.

The Mouse has too much power for my taste.