View Poll Results: Have the PT and ST spoilt your enjoyment of the OT?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 10.00%
  • No

27 90.00%
  • Undecided

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Have the PT and ST spoilt your enjoyment of the OT?

How do you feel about the OT now after seeing the PT and ST? Does it still have that magic that made it so special, or has what came before and since dulled it for you?

Of course, for some the magic was spoilt when Lucas dropped his 'Special Editions' but they have been around so long now you almost forget that they are not the originals.

I was a massive SW fan back in the day. ESB was one of the first films I remember seeing in the cinema and I can still remember how excited I was when I saw the trailer for 'Revenge of the Jedi', as it was then called before Lucas changed it.

I feel less ambivalent about the PT (the execrable AOTC notwithstanding - still one of the worst films ever made). I guess part of that is because it was the story that Lucas wanted to tell and a chunk of the backstory was already known, or hinted at. I still think TPM was pretty good, on the whole and ROTS wrapped things up nicely (although I will never understand how Padme suddenly became so wishy-washy as to simply give up and die than be there for her children).

I was quite excited to see TFA. I liked most of the new characters (will always loathe Kylo Ren) but it was ultimately a rehash of ANH and I will never understand why Han was pointlessly sacrificed. I wasn't planning to watch TLJ but relented about a year after release and I actually enjoyed it but it didn't really feel like a SW film. I have yet to see TROS and can't see me ever bothering.

To answer my own question, yes, I do think the PT (less so) and ST (completely) have spoilt my enjoyment of the OT and if I do watch 4, 5 or 6 now it's always tinged with some sadness.
    Last edited by Tugger; 04-24-2021 at 01:14 AM.

I'm old enough that i can remember watching ESB in theater in 80. Honestly, nothing can change my love for the OT. Luke was my fcking hero when i was a wee lad and i'm still very fond of the character and Hamill.

That being said, i do am a bit displeased by the way our main 3 heroes were grossly abused in the sequels. (i'm not going to comment on poor ol' Chewie, he was already a wallpaper character back in the 70's so nothing new here)

The prequels now, love it or hate it, it doesn't really change much in the end concerning the OT. It helped fleshing out a bit Kennobi and Yoda imo. And Anakin, well, let's just say thanks to the stars for the 2008 clone wars show. (the good one)

So no, nothing is spoiled. But i do have a feeling a disappointment towards some of what has been done after the OT. (looking at you mister "it rimes")

I am way less interested in the franchise though now. So i guess all that stuff did leave a mark lol.
    Last edited by Starter Set; 04-24-2021 at 04:53 AM.

Extraordinary Member

I’m capable of separating the ST from the OT almost entirely, and even when I was growing up with the PT, I was capable of ignoring whatever problems it supposedly reflected forward.

Plus, something like Rogue One was just as substantive an aid to the OT era as the TCW show was to the PT era.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I’m capable of separating the ST from the OT almost entirely, and even when I was growing up with the PT, I was capable of ignoring whatever problems it supposedly reflected forward.

Plus, something like Rogue One was just as substantive an aid to the OT era as the TCW show was to the PT era.
    I enjoyed Rogue One very much but that's not even close. The Clone Wars show saved the prequels era and Anakin in the eyes of a lot of people. And it developed the lore quite substantially with a lot of additions and explanations, on the confederacy for example, when Rogue One just adds a nice but not really necessary little back story.

Cool to think that Rogue Squadron picked their name after them though, even if it's not canon lol. (or is it now? i don't know)

The comics had it become canon during the Gillien run (Hope runs out). Basically Luke had recently been to what was left of Jedha and learned more about Jyn, and during an incident a few issues in which the Rebel fleet got trapped in a space dock, Vader's fleet was closing in, and it was a bit of a gamble launching their fighters (Since the hanger doors might not open), Luke coined the callsign inspired by her.

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-star-wars...-origin-story/
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Oooh, thank you. That's cool to read.

Nah. I can watch the originals on an individual level and enjoy them just like I used to. The ST did damage the lore, though. The PT, while not as good as the originals, didn't do that. It fleshed out the past in a way a lot of purist fans didn't prefer, that's all.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Niffleheim

Since PT was my introduction to Star Wars it is the OT that ruins my enjoyment of PT because I have to always convince myself to watch the old OT.

I only watched Force Awakens so I can't really comment on the ST.

No I don't have to watch the PT or ST and stay in my OT bubble.

Legends is my personal Canon for the timeline after the OT trilogy with the Mandalorian added to it. Personally while I hated TLJ I did quite enjoy TFW and thought while a mess TROS was somewhat enjoyable. I like Poe, Rey, Finn, and BB8 and would love a Legends comic that adds them to the Legends timeline along with Mandalorian characters and even Rogue One which IMO is the best SW Prequel film. Solo was okay but cringy in places like the naming scene. The PT is watchable but far from something I'd really pick to watch.

The only thing that ruins the OT for me is the Special Editions of ANH and ROTJ which I refuse to watch and stick to the original versions of them. While the video quality is lesser but the film quality is better.

Incredible Member

Nah. Only effect is the ST made me appreciate the PT more, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    Nah. Only effect is the ST made me appreciate the PT more, haha.
    It really did lol. Not to the point to make me appreciate the Phantom Menace but , yeah, at least the PT haven't anymore to wear the title of "the worst of main star wars movies".

Maybe that what is going here with the ST, could Johnson and Abrams be in secret die-hard PT fans? Whose mission was to make movies so bad that in comparison their little favorite movies would shine brighter?

That's so juicy that i need my tin hat right now...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    It really did lol. Not to the point to make me appreciate the Phantom Menace but , yeah, at least the PT haven't anymore to wear the title of "the worst of main star wars movies".

Maybe that what is going here with the ST, could Johnson and Abrams be in secret die-hard PT fans? Whose mission was to make movies so bad that in comparison their little favorite movies would shine brighter?

That's so juicy that i need my tin hat right now...
    The PT and ST are arguably opposites to each other in terms fo what the focus, strengths, and weaknesses they have are. The ST saw a definite attempt to be a better trilogy in a technical sense, with greater acting and directing and a genuine stab at better writing through dialogue, while the PT had doubled down on the lore, fantastical scale, and operatic storytelling.

...And in the end, I would say the PT’s strengths are superior to the ST’s strengths, simply because the overall story benefits more from Lucas’s lore work and keen eye for the family drama, while Abrams and Rian Johnson couldn’t decide who the main character was, what personality the characters had, and wound up wasting both the old and new characters.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

I really wonder how/why some people think a bad or different version of a book/movie/sequel can ruin their enjoyment of the original? The psychology behind that line of thinking fascinates me.

The original is still there to enjoy.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I really wonder how/why some people think a bad or different version of a book/movie/sequel can ruin their enjoyment of the original? The psychology behind that line of thinking fascinates me.

The original is still there to enjoy.
    ^This

I enjoy each film on it's own merit. Some are better than others, but none of them are perfect anyway.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

The prequel trilogy did have cringy moments (George Lucas, while having some great visions, really needed an editor that told him "no"), but it never ruined the OT for me. And it had a lot of stuff I liked.

The sequel trilogy... That's a hot mess. I watched Force Awakens. It wasn't terrible, and I really looked forward to Finn's character development. Then I checked out the next 2 movies' summaries (I don't mind spoilers when I go looking for them), and I lost all interest in them, and consider them their own thing. Like Dragon Ball GT. It happened, but not in the main universe. I'd rather put in something from Legends that doesn't do the remaining Skywalkers dirty. But, like the prequels, it didn't kill the OT for me.