View Poll Results: Have the PT and ST spoilt your enjoyment of the OT?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 10.00%
  • No

27 90.00%
  • Undecided

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I still love the OT same as I ever did. I just now view the PT and ST as some sort of weird elseworlds I've moved away from.

As much as I dislike the sequel trilogy I have too say no.

A *little* bit.

But that's mostly because it's cratered my interest in Star Wars generally.

I can still enjoy the OT fine, the thing the ST ruined for me was the general post ROTJ time period. Say what you want about the PT but at the very least it set up a solid foundation of stuff to build off of like the clone wars, and it also had a nice distinct artistic direction that was varied from the OT, we never really got to see a bustling city or a more well off planet in the OT really. The ST is just kind built off...the same Rebels vs Imperials conflict with the same old slightly different looking ships on the same old planets(or very similar looking planets).

Extraordinary Member

I dismiss the sequels entirely at this point. The old EU up through The Unifying Force is my headcanon, with everything after that being a bad fever dream of Luke's.

I largely prefer the original Bantam EU. I like to consider Vision Of The Future pretty much the bookend. Wasn't much of a fan of anything NJO forward.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Incredible Member

As comic book fans, we're uniquely equipped to compartmentalize. Imagine thinking less of your favorite comic book run just because the next writer came along and sucked during his or her run. Doesn't happen with us. I don't care if Cloonan and Rosenberg sucked writing Punisher; it doesn't affect my Ennis collection and what I think of it.

For non-comic book fans, I do think it's possible for there to be slightly less affection for the OT, though. They're not quite as use to compartmentalizing as us.

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    As comic book fans, we're uniquely equipped to compartmentalize. Imagine thinking less of your favorite comic book run just because the next writer came along and sucked during his or her run. Doesn't happen with us. I don't care if Cloonan and Rosenberg sucked writing Punisher; it doesn't affect my Ennis collection and what I think of it.

For non-comic book fans, I do think it's possible for there to be slightly less affection for the OT, though. They're not quite as use to compartmentalizing as us.
    Hah! Indeed! I have been saying that for years.

I remember when all my SW friends gave me grief over my woes of enjoying Superman, Spider-Man, Batman, and the X-Men when retcons would strike.

I remember when they all got in a tiff over the NJO stuff and I suggested a wholesale reboot. They laughed.

And here we are.

I often explain you can just pick and choose what you want to be canon. Some are still struggling with it.

I guess when you live through several MAJOR retcons, hundred of little ones ... you start to get the attitude of, "Meh ... what's another one?"

I totally agree we comic book fans are generally better equipped than most when this kind of stuff happens.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Funny thing is I think the EU was largely going the direction of Disney anyway. Stuff like the LEGACY OF THE FORCE novels and LEGACY comics largely ditched the weird alien technology and moral relativism of the NJO and Swarm War stuff for the Jedi Vs. Sith/Galactic civil war reprise. Also Disney's product uses a lot from the Clone Wars which came from around this era and was largely already retconning a lot of previous EU material set during the wars as well as stuff like the nature of the Mandalorians and the Clone troopers.

Even before Marvel's multiple Vader series Dark Horse comics was pretty much making a whole bunch of Vader miniseries as well.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth