Page 12 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    Agreed it´s hard for me to take those expressions at face value when it comes to fictional characters, I get bad writting and oc moments but not accusations of sexism or racism who are on themselves concepts that should not be said lightly just to make a point during a discussion.
    When I say it, it’s not lightly. I’m appalled. It’s not for that I liked the X-men.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Does it ever get tiring to create new Wanda threads? Was the last one closed or something? I feel like the same discussion happens under a new subject heading but its all the same

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    When I say it, it’s not lightly. I’m appalled. It’s not for that I liked the X-men.
    I wasn´t referencing your comments, I was talking about how Wanda´s particular situation with mutants doens´t have anything to do with sexism.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Does it ever get tiring to create new Wanda threads? Was the last one closed or something? I feel like the same discussion happens under a new subject heading but its all the same
    Agreed I think we are all tired because we go in circles making the same arguments but I guess it will keep being an issue until the X-franchise stops referencing or at least solve decimation once and for all.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

BANNED

I wasn´t referencing your comments, I was talking about how Wanda´s particular situation with mutants doens´t have anything to do with sexism.
    It doesn't have anything to do with sexism. Seriously, they can't simply accept she commited an atrocity. They are quick to point out house of M in vs threads or apprrciation feats I can't tell you the number of times people have said well she wiped away mutants so she can beat so so and so charachter. They want to take that particular event and just use it as reference point to demonstrate wanda's power forgetting she devastated millions whom at that time were supposed to be her own people. Like seriously, any person who has a problem with wanda being used as insult on krakoa or the mutants calling her the pretender is should take said grievances directly to the steps of disney. Because as it stands she did a hate crime and she is now a curse word amongst her victims in their own books and if they do not like it they can go burn the sea. Like some wanda fans actually acknowledge that what she did was horrendous and are actually thinking of ways she can atone whilst we have some here spouting some weird stuff about mutants having bad attitudes in general and sexism and stuff. Like they do not get back back pain breaking their back to do mental gymnastics to justify her mistake.

BANNED

Agreed I think we are all tired because we go in circles making the same arguments but I guess it will keep being an issue until the X-franchise stops referencing or at least solve decimation once and for all.
    Hmmm I do not know why people are sooo pressed about this. Like I love the charachter but I read x-men and see how the mutants feel about her and I do not cringe I do not falter. I know that is not who she is and I know she would own up.to her mistakes. She won't cringe at their behaviour but understand that when someone hurts you you try to take their power over you away by sometimes slandering their name. It's not pleasant but neither was what she did and she will jnd stand that why? Cause though she struggles with mental illness doesn't mean she is a victim or she is irrational. Mental illness doesn't necessarily mean you cant own up when you did wrong.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    YeAH, RigHt. **Cough** Mutant Religion **Cough**
    And what is wrong with that? At least it's a thousand times interesting than a washed up theme of avenger vs avenger which is coming up again this year.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dirtynun View Post
    It doesn't have anything to do with sexism. Seriously, they can't simply accept she commited an atrocity. They are quick to point out house of M in vs threads or apprrciation feats I can't tell you the number of times people have said well she wiped away mutants so she can beat so so and so charachter. They want to take that particular event and just use it as reference point to demonstrate wanda's power forgetting she devastated millions whom at that time were supposed to be her own people. Like seriously, any person who has a problem with wanda being used as insult on krakoa or the mutants calling her the pretender is should take said grievances directly to the steps of disney. Because as it stands she did a hate crime and she is now a curse word amongst her victims in their own books and if they do not like it they can go burn the sea. Like some wanda fans actually acknowledge that what she did was horrendous and are actually thinking of ways she can atone whilst we have some here spouting some weird stuff about mutants having bad attitudes in general and sexism and stuff. Like they do not get back back pain breaking their back to do mental gymnastics to justify her mistake.

I think some of those are new Wanda fans who read HoM and thought it was an awesome show of girl power, who have yet to read other stories from her but traditional comic Wanda fans understably hate the story because it involved Wanda being put in a situation she never has been and did something horrible on any perspective you want to see it and she was send to limbo inmediately after that so she was even denied the opprtunity to make amends and then was brought back at a time marvel wanted to bassically paint the the X-men as villains for being angry over decimation. It´s just a complicated mess imo.

Yes I also agree with you that whatever the circunstances I think a Wanda in character would try to make amends even if she knows she will not be forgiven by everybody.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 04-26-2021 at 08:47 AM.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    Las Vegas thing is a point out of the curve. It has been long established that Magic can't bring people from death and that magic has a price.

And i'm very right on the ressurrection having no effect on the spell since both explodey boys were the same character, remembered their parents and problems on the family. So it isn't a soul problem at all.

Doctor Strange an't lie to wanda, she knows magic as good as he knows. Strange being her teacher is pure bad writing from Hickman
    And yet people get resurrected by magic in the marvel universe all the time, this is coming from the same doctor strange who once said chaos magic does not exist......
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

The thing is people always quick to throw these accusations on here and it is pretty obvious people are just doing it for dramatic effect and its super disingenuous.

Hmmm I do not know why people are sooo pressed about this. Like I love the charachter but I read x-men and see how the mutants feel about her and I do not cringe I do not falter. I know that is not who she is and I know she would own up.to her mistakes. She won't cringe at their behaviour but understand that when someone hurts you you try to take their power over you away by sometimes slandering their name. It's not pleasant but neither was what she did and she will jnd stand that why? Cause though she struggles with mental illness doesn't mean she is a victim or she is irrational. Mental illness doesn't necessarily mean you cant own up when you did wrong.
    That is where i am as well. Though sometimes i wonder if they are really her fans. You can tell those who are like CJstriker and stuff but it's like i can say that wanda hurt mutants and should have a trial and still love the character of wanda. I bought her mini, that was after decimation, i bought unanny avengers that was after decimation. I read mystic arcana which she had an issue i bought that recently, I watched wandavision. So if someone who is actually supporting the character can see there is still a door that needs to be closed. Why the falling apart? Marvel nor disney is going to let anyone ruin Wanda anymore than what has already happened to her in the past. Nothing in the x-boooks has been as bad to her character as what they did in the main line. They did it to her, then shielded her fom her. That sounds like they were looking for a way to bury wanda imo.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Yes I would love for her to be a mutant and part of Magneto´s family again, I don´t think they would live together given how much baggage they have besides HoM but it would be nice for them to have a better relationship.

Here´s the interview, Wanda´s part is almost at the end.

Watched the interview and wow is it illuminative. Si’s face when asked about Wanda is priceless. All anyone needs if they ask “Will Wanda have a role in Krakoa?”, the answer is yes.

You are right about Wanda not staying with Magneto. I am so use to seeing Magneto interactions with Wanda post-disassembled that I forget about the horrible ways he has treated her and Pietro since the Brotherhood days. I just do not know who Wanda can really lean on who loves her unconditionally and has not used her (maybe Agatha?)

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    You know they plan out the MCU years ahead right? And the same person heading that studio is heading Marvel. I'm just accepting the status quo as it's been for 17 years. I'm not expecting much more than the same. And if it ends up different and they actually do make an effort to put the character in an ongoing again, or back on the Avengers, great. If not, and she's just delegated to the occasional guest appearance, then I'm not getting my hopes up for nothing. Which is what I did for a lot of years. A lot of those years Hickman was writing at Marvel. A good bit of that he was writing the Avengers.
    Do not blame you for feeling this way. Most of her stories skate around the elephant in the room which makes it too difficult to put her on a team until the elephant is addressed. In this case, the elephant involves all of mutant kind which requires a story on a larger scale.

While you want your character to be challenged, the Wanda/mutant scenario has really impeded any growth for her. While forgiveness may not be possible, I think resolution is necessary. Similar to how Captain Marvel views Rogue in her recent series.

Before throwing someone in a pithole, judges must etablish if the accused was in full control of his or her faculties.

It seems to me that Wanda was not in full control of her faculties… which for someone like Wanda who has great powers, like it is the case for a lot of mutants, is very unfortunate. It is the story I read.

And it is not a “hate crime”. The only person she hated was “her father” whose whole life revolved around mutant identity. She disliked the concept — her father’s thing — not the persons.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Before throwing someone in a pithole, judges must etablish if the accused was in full control of his or her faculties.

It seems to me that Wanda was not in full control of her faculties… which for someone like Wanda who has great powers, like it is the case for a lot of mutants, is very unfortunate. It is the story I read.

And it is not a “hate crime”. The only person she hated was “her father” whose whole life revolved around mutant identity. She disliked the concept — her father’s thing — not the persons.
    You still have to have a trial and then those evaluations are taken into consideration. It's easy to make up a myth about a point in history that has never been addressed in front of the victims. The only person depowered that got any closure from wanda was rictor and he didn't hate her. So i don't get why there seems to be an assumption people wouldn't understand if wanda just got up and told the truth. as of right now only what, a handful of mutants know what happened.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

IMO the only 2 people who have a right to be mad at Wanda are Blob (he looked a hysterical mess after being depowered lmao) & the dude with the collapsed neck that **** was funny but can you imagine lmao!

I think part of being a hero is to recognize when he/she/we personally made a mistake and this is the main reason why I would like Wanda to do something about decimation. I don´t think it´s a case of sexism, it´s a case of heroisms also involves being responsbible for one´s actions, the good and the bad.
    Wanting to see Wanda face reprocussions is not sexist. Especially if she knew what she were doing and meant to do it (doesn't seem to be the case).

AD/HoM were heavily sexist and ableist depictions. They've not really gotten better at mental health depictions. They have with the sexist ones.

This was the edgy era where comics had Sue Dibny raped, killed and stuffed in a fridge for a male character's pain, so it's just a product of that era.

Wanda's depiction is sexist because she was a character who had strong leadership qualities turned baby crazy complete with daddy issues to make it seem more likely she'd be bad.

When in reality she just didn't have anything to do with Mags, and Vision was the one that really wanted children. And while Wanda did have a breakdown over losing her kids (who wouldn't?) She had already worked past all that 15 years before AD.

So now she's in this story that villainizes mental illness, doesn't bother to humanize it with diagnosing it. Nor understanding the different types of mental illness, nor symptoms. Just uses it for the villain bat.

The sexism is because this was a story that didn't even feature Wanda. Her character and accuracy of it weren't as important as pushing this mandate. So she's not in AD until the end when it's revealed that it was her that did it. And then she's knocked comatose and is that for most of HoM, only to awaken later to cast a spell to punish her father so he has something to be hurt by for years. After creating this world for him. Even though she didn't really know him.

Her story isn't for her, the world she created isn't for her, she's primarily absent and only used for her powers. A plot device that is then thrown away literally for years without a single narrative from her perspective, to hurt a male character. It's a classic fridging that almost single-handily wrecked 40+ years of character development.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.