Page 33 of 42 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334353637 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sylarmax View Post
    Completely agree, I don't know how some readers find this a good narrative, it's how to say that abuse among other worse things is justified in real life WTF.

I'm sorry but in the era of Krakoa there are many horrible things that are from sects and cults.
    Yeah, even when I see this and the scene "make more mutants". It remind me the movie called "Midsommar".

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    You reeeeally into fantasizing about A's D huh?
    No, that’d be the people here that have called him “daddy”.

Quote Originally Posted by Outburstz View Post
    No it was created so that a bunch of mutants didn't just mass suicided. Apoc came with a way to make them earn it while also teaching a harsh lesson
    The Crucible is suicide though.

It just involves someone brutally beating someone else to death.

With an audience.

So civilized. Much culture. Wow.
    Last edited by Bunch of Coconuts; 08-02-2021 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    Yeah, even when I see this and the scene "make more mutants". It remind me the movie called "Midsommar".

My God, that's right, everything about Krakoa and its laws is absolutely horrible.

Starting with the fighting arena to gain their powers, they depowered them, which looks like a sacrificial pit mixed with the Roman coliseum, the law of making more babies, and to finish they look like a pagan cult every time they revive mutants.

Really a lot of things are horrible about Krakoa.

But defending the fighting arena is already ridiculous, I assume they are fine with the mistreatment since that also makes them a tougher character in real life WTF ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    The Crucible is suicide though.

It just involves someone brutally beating someone else to death.

With an audience.

So civilized. Much culture. Wow.
    Yeah. It's true

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    You do know •-[A]-• isn't the only mutant who has done the crucible right? The Storm/Callisto crucible displayed their long relationship and quite a lot of respect.

But as xhx23x mentioned, it's intentional for it to be questioned as we see in Way of X.

Just because Storm does it doesn't make that ritual a good thing. it's just as scary. and it just leaves Storm filthy bad as a sadistic assassin.
    nothing else no matter how much they want to romanticize it.

It's like romanticizing abuse, mistreatment, rape, and other things, just because then a human being would learn a WTF lesson ... seriously ?what a harm Hickman has done to some who believe these atrocities are okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylarmax View Post
    Just because Storm does it doesn't make that ritual a good thing. it's just as scary. and it just leaves Storm filthy bad as a sadistic assassin.
    nothing else no matter how much they want to romanticize it.

It's like romanticizing abuse, mistreatment, rape, and other things, just because then a human being would learn a WTF lesson ... seriously ?what a harm Hickman has done to some who believe these atrocities are okay.
    Who said it was a good thing? I didn't say either way. The point was that it seemed a poster believed it was only •-[A]-• who did it to "get his rocks off". I was pointing out that that isn't the case.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

The ritual is just as horrible and sadistic whether Apo does it or Storm Remy Jubilee do it etc ... even it is WORST ( like Storm ) if those characters do it.
    since they are supposed to "be the good guys".
    in short, there is no way to defend that atrocity no matter how much they want to romanticize it.

It doesn't seem particularly thought through, considering the person has to die regardless whether they commit suicide or wait for their turn to go through the crucible. If you're ready to die and be reborn to get your powers back, why wait to be brutally murdered in front of an entire audience if you could just as well find a quick and painless way, which from your personal perspective is even faster because you're dead while you wait to be brought back.

"Don't kill yourself so that Apocalypse can hack you to pieces" doesn't appear like a great deterrent for suicide to me.
    Last edited by Starfish; 08-02-2021 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Starfish View Post
    It doesn't seem particularly thought through, considering the person has to die regardless whether they commit suicide or wait for their turn to go through the crucible. If you're ready to die and be reborn to get your powers back, why wait to be brutally murdered in front of an entire audience if you could just as well find a quick and painless way, which from your personal perspective is even faster because you're dead while you wait to be brought back.
    The Crucible exists as a way for a person to jump the resurrection queue which as it stands will take 300 years. Unless a person has special pull with someone high up, simply killing themselves will put them out of commision indefintiely with no actual timeline for when they may be brought back. The Crucible eliminates this uncertainty as they are brought back that same day

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    The Crucible exists as a way for a person to jump the resurrection queue which as it stands will take 300 years. Unless a person has special pull with someone high up, simply killing themselves will put them out of commision indefintiely with no actual timeline for when they may be brought back. The Crucible eliminates this uncertainty as they are brought back that same day
    Though if you die like Siren did you get brought back as much as you want with no wait. Also Onslaught Revelation is about a mass suicide and it’s never stated if you die while not on a mission you go to the back of the line. All the Crucible does is ingrain hostility and callousness in what could be a peaceful and morally advanced culture.
    Last edited by Covetous_One; 08-02-2021 at 11:38 AM.
    “There is no defense against the Scarlet Witch's HEX!

Pointless (the person that dies “wins” anyway, by way of getting their powers back) “ritualistic combat” just so Apoc can get his rocks off should be criticized.

Like…OK…you swung a sword a few times at a mutant 1,000 times more powerful than you…and you died, and you made some extra gurgle noises when the blood hit your lungs…here’s you powers back. We’re sure glad Poccy achieved orgasm this evening, though.

The main point is not that it’s cruel (though it is): it’s absurd, and clearly designed just because Poccy likes hurting others. It’s laughable, in a way.
    It’s the responsability of the author to make feel what an action really means… otherwise it just feels cheap.

Magneto throwing a bar of metal through a mouth… Disguting.
    Magneto bringing down a whole building… It feels less dirty. However everyone can understand it makes damages: milled flesh, hammered ribcages…

It depends on how it is shown and the intentions. A Japanese movie director said violence on screen must always make you want to puke. And its movies show it. I tend to agree with him. And, with him, showing violence never felt gratuitous… like it feels to me the case with recent comics.

What I understand with this Crucible is that the X-men agree with Apocalypse, get along with him, a thing they never did. Is the purpose to show how much they have changed?
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

This is my main problem with the idea of the crucible because it really must have been an idea taken down by the X-men who were part of the council at the moment it was proposed, not just have them criticize it after the fact like Scott and Nightcrawler were shown to do, this is not a "is part of the culture so it must be respected situation" the crucibe was a completely new concept introduced for a pragmatic reason, they could not resurrect all non powed mutants at the same time and they wanted to avoid having people commit suicide but the crucible has become almost like a gladiatorial sport on Krakoa for some mutants and it´s just too soon, it´s been 1 year not 50 for it to be such an important part of "mutant culture" this explanation doesn´t make sense.

So I liked more the idea proposed on Way of X that Legion is talking about, Onslaught is accelerating the process of cultural and moral decomposition increasing the violent and individualistic tendencies of each member of the community but still if this kind of behavoir keeps presenting itself even after Onslaught is defeated then it´s time to ask what´s exactly happening with the characters we used to know.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    So…a random ticket drawing was out of the question?

It HAD to be violence with an audience? A brutal bashing of a helpless person?

So…a random ticket drawing was out of the question?

It HAD to be violence with an audience? A brutal bashing of a helpless person?
    The crucible is voluntary. Callisto wasn't helpless in her fight with Storm.
    The Krakoans are EEEvil!

THEY MUST BE STOPPED!