Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Was there once a plan to have Iceman and Cannonball be in a relationship?

I'm talking about Mike Carey's early run on adjectiveless X-Men.

They played off each other extremely well...too well...and often seemed more than friends. Did anyone else ever pick up on this?

I wonder if Carey had plans to make them a couple? This would have been long before Bobby came out. But even before that, there were hints at his sexuality, from various writers. I think this could have been a hint dropped by Carey, and possibly further intentions to have him be with Sam...but for whatever reason, it didn't happen.

Just me?

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Sometimes guys can become real good friends without them being a couple.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Yeah sometimes it's only for one wild night in a hotel. Or for a 15 minutes in the bathroom of a Stuckeys in DC when I was taking that roadtrip to Maryland
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Yeah sometimes it's only for one wild night in a hotel. Or for a 15 minutes in the bathroom of a Stuckeys in DC when I was taking that roadtrip to Maryland
    You gotta chill.
    The Krakoans are EEEvil!

THEY MUST BE STOPPED!

Ahahahahaaaa
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Was it a Stuckeys around Arlington, near a donut shop? And the manager was this fat, rude guy who didn't know how to mind his own business?
    Last edited by Rift; 12-17-2021 at 06:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by brandnewfan View Post
    I'm talking about Mike Carey's early run on adjectiveless X-Men.

They played off each other extremely well...too well...and often seemed more than friends. Did anyone else ever pick up on this?

I wonder if Carey had plans to make them a couple? This would have been long before Bobby came out. But even before that, there were hints at his sexuality, from various writers. I think this could have been a hint dropped by Carey, and possibly further intentions to have him be with Sam...but for whatever reason, it didn't happen.

Just me?
    I apologize for the unnecessary snarky reply above but unfortunately that’s what you’ll get on these boards.

Id have to go back and read that run. But I wouldn’t have minded them as a couple if it happened back then.

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura

Mighty Member

We need to stop thinking every same sex friendship is a romantic relationship when they get along or share feelings. Us gays can have deep strictly platonic relationships with our straight friends. Maybe Sam just knew Bobby’s secret a before he did?

Redacted .
    Last edited by danielsan52; 12-17-2021 at 06:51 PM.

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rnap22 View Post
    We need to stop thinking every same sex friendship is a romantic relationship when they get along or share feelings. Us gays can have deep strictly platonic relationships with our straight friends. Maybe Sam just knew Bobby’s secret a before he did?
    And people can assume opposite sex friends are couples as well. It’s okay for people to be wrong in assuming someone is a couple when they are not.

I personally dud not see subtext between Iceman and Cannonball, but uf there was, so what?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    And people can assume opposite sex friends are couples as well. It’s okay for people to be wrong in assuming someone is a couple when they are not.

I personally dud not see subtext between Iceman and Cannonball, but uf there was, so what?
    I find it funny that people look for subtext when they want to ship characters. Shatterstar and Rictor wasn’t a surprise because it was built up over years and felt like a natural progression. I’m all for couples becoming such if doesn’t come out of left field.

For me, I don’t need to see every character in a romance or couple. Maybe I’m alone on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rnap22 View Post
    we do? never had a close relationship with a straight cis man. how is it? Is it fulfilling?

Amazing Member

Carey stated on twitter a few years ago that he wrote their relationship as romantic. Fwiw.

Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

Fanboy fantasy. Brokeback Mutant.

I wish I could quit you, Sam.
    My flag is bacon.

Ultimate Member

Then again wasn't he the same writer that wrote the whole Magneto and Rogue mess and then wouldn't hear anything from fans about all of the problems with how that all happened...or something along those lines...so take it all with a grain of salt...