Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I look forward to Yara, the Ted/Booster title and I'm liking Nightwing and Wally's return so far. Not particularly enamored with the Green Lantern direction(first issue was actually better than I expected) but I will reserve judgment until a few more issues drop, Justice League is mediocre and I will maybe check out King's Supergirl and Jon as Superman. Nothing else really has my interest. So something between 5/10 and 6/10 I guess?

Overall I’d say a 7/10. As a primarily Superman fan, his corner of the DCU looks extremely exciting. Lots of books in the pipeline that look promising, only book I’m mixed about is Tom Taylor on Jon-Superman, I wish it was someone else writing him but oh well. Otherwise though I’ve got promising solo books in PKJ Action, Red & Blue, Superman & the Authority, Superman ‘78, and team books with Yang Batman/Superman, Bendis JL, JL: The Last Ride, and JL: Infinity. Supergirl has an exciting Tom King mini which is said to be in the same vein as Up in the Sky which I loved. Natasha Irons is Steel in the Authority and PKJ has teased that something with John Henry Irons Steel may be coming as well. A Superevent in Sept is being built towards and sounds like it could star Mongul and really shake things up. Calvin Ellis just had a fantastic story in Infinite Frontier Secret Files and will be in the main Infinite Frontier book as well where he’ll hopefully get a solo ongoing/mini spinning out of that or a Justice Incarnate team book. I’m enjoying Kon on the Suicide Squad so far although I hope he doesn’t keep getting jobbed out to Peacemaker. Only disappointment is that S&L: Ignition won’t be happening because the pitch sounds absolutely f****** amazing! Hopefully the sequel to Birthright that Waid has teased does end up happening.

Wonder Woman’s ongoing is the best it’s been since Rucka left and she has a bunch of promising projects like Black & Gold and Historia coming.

I’m happy to see John Stewart as the main GL, he’s my co-favorite with Hal so I welcome the opportunity to get more stories that feature him in a starring role.

I’m enjoying Tynion Batman and Tamaki Tec. Tynion Joker is a great Jim Gordon book. Ridley’s The Next Batman: Second Son just took an intriguing turn. Taylor’s Nightwing has been fine so far. Not reading anything else although I might pick up Ennis’ BL Batman book.

Wally West’s return as Flash has been good so far, delivering the bright and upbeat adventures Flash fans have said they wanted for a while.

Ram V’s Swamp Thing is amazing, fantastic book that everyone should check out. His JLD backups are great so far too.

Strange Adventures is a great book when it comes out lol.

My only complaints are that I want an Aquaman book, a Legion of Superheroes book, a Vixen mini, the return of Kenan Kong to the Superverse, a GLC book with Hal, Kyle, Jess, and Guy, and some more minis for non-Batfamily characters.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I only really read stuff I like (with the exception of slogging through some runs or tie-in here and their for plot reasons), so I can't really rate everything as a whole.

I guess I'm frustrated with JL because I'm only getting it for JL Dark and I'm not that into the current JL story.

But as a Wonder Woman fan I like all the stuff coming out. A Nubia book is coming out later this year too.

I'm not that into Batman, (I still read it here and there, for the villains) but Batman: Reptilian is something I'm looking forward to. Liam Sharp's art will make me pick up anything. I also like monster books.

Also I'll probably check out Superman and the Authority because I've read some of the Authority and I really wanted to get into it but just couldn't. Maybe the Morrison I finally will.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

It's always been at least a 7 since '73 for me, FWIW (including COIE and it's aftermath, which probably annoyed more then-current fans than any other in DC's history).
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

I'd have to give DC a 1.
    There just isn't anything of interest to me.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Thank you. I couldn’t agree more. You could choose literally any era and, if the internet had been a thing then, the same folks would be giving out 2’s and 4’s.
    Could not disagree more. You're falling into the trap of dismissing others opinions if they don't align with yours with broad generalisations about a supposedly disgruntled fanbase that can't see things as objectively as apparently you can.

I can objectively look at several periods in DC history where I felt their output was superior to what they're producing now. Both pre and post-Crisis, at least two periods during the 90's and the early 2000's are all better periods overall than what is currently being offered. I would even argue that the first few months of the new 52 and of Rebirth were of an overall higher quality.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Nightwing is 8 to 9
    Batman Urban Legends only the Red Hood part is 8
    Yeah that's it lol
    The others are just impression, guess or anticipation, ranging between 5 to 8 with the two Wonder books reaching 8 and the Batman and Flash books middling. I... haven't paid attention on the Super and Lantern books.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicskull View Post
    I feel like fans feel some sort of superiority when they don't like comics sometimes lol. Personally I don't believe the folks that are rating them below a 4. You mean to tell me out of all of the books they put out/and have coming out, not one of these titles interest you? At that point, that's not even a DC problem but a personal problem.
    So you're basic argument is that if others don't like the same books you do they have a "personal problem"? I have sampled a great many books from DC in recent times and have found very little that interests me. By your logic I therefore have some kind issue? It couldn't just be that my tastes differ from yours? Instead you feel the need to equate some undetermined "problem" with readers who don't agree with you?

Yeah, I have a problem with a thread that asks people to give their personal rating for the company, and when they do give their personal ratings, other people think THOSE people are lying and are not being honest with how they really rate the company. Especially since not everyone has the same problems, gripes, concerns, desires, etc. for DC. Just because 5 or 10 people may find SOMETHING they like in DC's July 2021 solicits or at any other time, does not mean everyone will, and it does not mean that if they don't, then something is wrong with them.

If you're someone looking for something specific from DC every month, like a favorite character but that character never gets used or rarely gets used, you're most likely not going to be pleased. And I don't think that has anything to do with feeling superior or feeling entitled or whatever. Every consumer wants something specific from the companies they deal with.

I just don't understand how everyone's personal ratings/tastes and desires for what DC brings can be criticized because they don't match the ratings/tastes/desires of other comic book readers. Not everyone wants the same things or is looking for the same things from DC, so ratings will naturally vary, whether those ratings are really high or really low.
    Last edited by MoneySpider; 04-25-2021 at 03:35 PM.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon23 View Post
    So you're basic argument is that if others don't like the same books you do they have a "personal problem"? I have sampled a great many books from DC in recent times and have found very little that interests me. By your logic I therefore have some kind issue? It couldn't just be that my tastes differ from yours? Instead you feel the need to equate some undetermined "problem" with readers who don't agree with you?
    A lot of you people fair with their rating. Giving DC a 3 simply b/c there's one or a few characters that aren't being used is a personal problem, learn to broaden your taste a little bit. Make an effort. Firestorm is one of my favorite characters ever. But am i going to give DC a 2 b/c he's not appearing in any books? God no! My interests are very broad.
    Last edited by atomicskull; 04-25-2021 at 09:14 PM.

4 out of 10 I suppose.

My frustration is the lack of different heroes holding titles right now. What really annoys me....is all the friggen Batman titles.

There are 8 titles starting with the word Batman + Detective Comics which makes nine, and now we have the Joker & Man Bat titles.

I mean really, how many Batman titles does one fan boy need to read? (I just need one) I would much rather see second tier heroes (Mr. Miracle, Booster Gold, Zatanna ect) have their own titles. That would get me excited about buying comics again.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Currently, I'm happy with where DC is heading in theory and there's certainly enough books I'm interested in that I want them to keep going to see where they end up.

That's all you can really ask for.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    Yeah, I have a problem with a thread that asks people to give their personal rating for the company, and when they do give their personal ratings, other people think THOSE people are lying and are not being honest with how they really rate the company. Especially since not everyone has the same problems, gripes, concerns, desires, etc. for DC. Just because 5 or 10 people may find SOMETHING they like in DC's July 2021 solicits or at any other time, does not mean everyone will, and it does not mean that if they don't, then something is wrong with them.

If you're someone looking for something specific from DC every month, like a favorite character but that character never gets used or rarely gets used, you're most likely not going to be pleased. And I don't think that has anything to do with feeling superior or feeling entitled or whatever. Every consumer wants something specific from the companies they deal with.

I just don't understand how everyone's personal ratings/tastes and desires for what DC brings can be criticized because they don't match the ratings/tastes/desires of other comic book readers. Not everyone wants the same things or is looking for the same things from DC, so ratings will naturally vary, whether those ratings are really high or really low.
    It's the "if I dislike things generally I give it a 1" and "if I like things generally I give it a 10." Or, worse, "If DC isn't publishing books about the characters I like then it's a 1 or 2 because I don't want to read any of it." Since the advent of the internet, that's been a constant, no matter which era we're in. It's not that much different than the H.E.A.T. wars. Or the Geoffrey Thorne nonsense. Or whatever the outrage is this week because someone's favorite character isn't being treated as they'd like them to be. Comics and comic fans, man...

This isn't an actual post but it might as well be one:

'I'm not interested in anything DC's doing so I'm not picking any of it up so I give it a 1.' If you're not picking anything up, if you're not even reading what they're publishing... I mean, how can you rate a thing you haven't read and refuse to read? I would think a more proper response to a thread like this, in that situation, would be "I don't know. I have absolutely no idea."

It's not unlike that time, back in the long ago, when all those fervent evangelicals protested the very existence of The Last Temptation of Christ saying the movie was awful and should be banned but, no, they haven't seen it and they have no intention of seeing it. And why would they ever see a movie that they've already decided is a "1"? Why wouldn't they just hold up picket signs saying, essentially, "that movie is a 1!," as those fanatics did then, albeit in a much more fire and brimstone sort of way.

There might be fandoms that are as hyperbolic as comics fans but none that are more so. That's all those responses were about.
    Last edited by BatmanJones; 04-26-2021 at 12:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    It's always been at least a 7 since '73 for me, FWIW (including COIE and it's aftermath, which probably annoyed more then-current fans than any other in DC's history).
    Me too mostly. Sometimes it's been as low as a 6.5 and sometimes it's been as high as an 8. I've been very encouraged by the new direction and I've felt like pretty much every single title that continued after IF #0 has been better than it was before it. 1-2 issues in to the new regime, I can't give it a solid score. I will say that my enthusiasm across the line is higher than it's been in a long while. I'm buying less comics because there are less comics to buy but the ones I am buying have almost all been good-to-great.

The only exceptions for me have been PKJ's Superman stuff and Bendis's JL, neither of which has been horrid, just not good or great.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

6/10, much better than just few years ago.
    My pull list is finally increasing after reaching a deep low.