Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    You're not. Pretty sure Ethan Van Sciver and Cosmic Book News would agree with you too.
    Dude......seriously?
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

You're not. Pretty sure Ethan Van Sciver and Cosmic Book News would agree with you too.
    I don't know if I want to be linked with Ethan Van Sciver in terms of sharing opinions . . . that's somewhere in the same neighborhood as saying my thinking is the same as Ted Cruz and Tucker Carlson.

Thats two steps away from saying that you are Nazi for disliking new direction of the old character.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I don't know if I want to be linked with Ethan Van Sciver in terms of sharing opinions . . . that's somewhere in the same neighborhood as saying my thinking is the same as Ted Cruz and Tucker Carlson.
    That’s good to know, for real. Just saying you agree about this one issue. It’s nothing personal.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Thats two steps away from saying that you are Nazi for disliking new direction of the old character.
    No it isn’t. It’s like saying that one person that dislikes new directions of classic characters agrees with a second person that dislikes new directions for classic characters. I didn’t imply they shared their reasons for that, only that they had that in common. And it was meant as a jokey response to MajorHoy’s joking post about having felt he was alone in that opinion. Because, strictly speaking, they do agree on this point even if they are not alike in any other way.

I’m Jewish but I’m also vegan. If I were to say, “I was beginning to think I was the only person that doesn’t eat animals,” and someone else said “Hitler didn’t eat animals either,” I wouldn’t have an issue with that. We do have that in common. And people have said that to me, in fun, as I was saying it to MH. But, though I am Jewish, I have always taken it in good spirit because it’s just true. It’s not what either of us is best known for but it is a rare thing that we share in common.

Now maybe I have comicsgate all wrong, but I thought it was entirely premised on an aversion to exactly this sort of change. There’s a real difference in how MH would express that shared opinion and where it’s coming from. EVS would decry it by using “woke” as a dirty word and I believe he’s also pretty bigoted in various ways. MH, to their credit would not express his issue w/Alan Scott that way and I feel certain that he is not at all bigoted.

We’re diametrically opposed on the Alan Scott thing but I like and respect MH a lot. I was just ribbing him.
    Last edited by BatmanJones; 04-29-2021 at 12:25 AM.

Astonishing Member

BatmanJ I am glad you cleared that up or MH might just type in the small type font from now on, lol j/k

I’m also vegan
    A fellow vegan. Nice.

Astonishing Member

Here's the thing for me, no one likes it if their favorite character is drastically changed for no reason. There is a difference between that and not liking change period. Two of my three all time favorite DC characters are Alan Scott and Garth Ranzz (Lightning Lad) they both got changed for no other reason than DC diversification. A part of me wouldn't have cared if say what happened to Alan happened to Dr. Midnight (whose sexuality was never addressed), or what happened to Garth happened to Bouncing Boy at first I wouldn't have cared BUT every character is someone's favorite character and I would be hypocritical not caring since they aren't my favorite. I love diversity in comics being a minority myself but I much more prefer creating a cool diverse character instead of all the baggage of changing an existing one. I love Mr. Terrific one of my favorite DC characters created in the last 40 years and him being a legacy instead of just resurrecting the original as an African American was the best way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    Here's the thing for me, no one likes it if their favorite character is drastically changed for no reason. There is a difference between that and not liking change period. Two of my three all time favorite DC characters are Alan Scott and Garth Ranzz (Lightning Lad) they both got changed for no other reason than DC diversification. A part of me wouldn't have cared if say what happened to Alan happened to Dr. Midnight (whose sexuality was never addressed), or what happened to Garth happened to Bouncing Boy at first I wouldn't have cared BUT every character is someone's favorite character and I would be hypocritical not caring since they aren't my favorite. I love diversity in comics being a minority myself but I much more prefer creating a cool diverse character instead of all the baggage of changing an existing one. I love Mr. Terrific one of my favorite DC characters created in the last 40 years and him being a legacy instead of just resurrecting the original as an African American was the best way to go.
    This is spot on! Well said.

The older I get, the less I relate to the comics I used to love. I guess it's why we all have our favourite interpretations of characters / teams (and for me that tends to be from the time I originally became a fan).

Change is inevitable and is part of life but it doesn't have to be just for the sake of it.