Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I'd give it a 6.5.

Too much Batman and not enough of anything else, and I'm saying this as primarily a Batman fan. I'd say the Bat books range between okay and very good. Nothing excellent, but nothing awful.

I'm probably about to leave Superman but I'm used to that as I seem to do so every few years. I'll be getting Supergirl, though.

Bendis' Justice League has been better than expected and I'm excited for Checkmate. Wally is The Flash again (yay!) in an okay-ish book. Swamp Thing has a solid start. Strange Adventures is great.

I'm hoping DC is preparing a wave of new launches for the classics, as well as several highlighting newer, younger, more diverse characters.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by atomicskull View Post
    A lot of you people fair with their rating. Giving DC a 3 simply b/c there's one or a few characters that aren't being used is a personal problem, learn to broaden your taste a little bit. Make an effort. Firestorm is one of my favorite characters ever. But am i going to give DC a 2 b/c he's not appearing in any books? God no! My interests are very broad.
    So, we readers have to do more work to find something we might like (or at least tolerate) rather than DC should do a better job of appealing to our tastes?

Man, that's so screwed up!

For the record, I'm not very happy / interested in many of DC's offerings these days, but the only other company that I'm buying comic books is Dark Horse.
    And I'm NOT going to try and find other DC comic books I might like; I'm more likely to stop buying DC comic books (again!) before I get to the point where I have to try everything-and-anything from DC to see what else might possibly be of interest to me.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    So, we readers have to do more work to find something we might like (or at least tolerate) rather than DC should do a better job of appealing to our tastes?

For the record, I'm not very happy / interested in many of DC's offerings these days, but the only other company that I'm buying comic books is Dark Horse.
    And I'm NOT going to try and find other DC comic books I might like; I'm more likely to stop buying DC comic books (again!) before I get to the point where I have to try everything-and-anything from DC to see what else might possibly be of interest to me.
    Yep! All of this. Especially when floppies are almost $4-$5 a pop now, no thanks.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Incredible Member

My first admission is that I have only been buying trades for the last few years. Single issues are just too crazy expensive.

That said, I think DC overall is at 7.5. Way ahead of where they’ve been since that stupid Flashpoint event.

Incredible Member

Both DC and Marvel are at about a 2/10 right now as we're at a nadir for writer quality in the industry. This is why back issues, old trades, and manga are the hot stuff in the shops, not the weekly new comics.

I don't like the new price for backup stories that I don't want. Only Justice League is using the extra pages well. I don't like the Superman cancellation or the stories leading up to it. I feel like DC is driving me away. 1.5/10

4 out of 10

6 out of 10.

I feel like there something missing and I'm not sure what it is.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    6 out of 10.

Yeah I know what you mean.

Things *sorta* feel like what DC should, other than a couple obvious things, but....something isn't quite "there" yet.

Maybe its the lack of C-listers; seems like since Rebirth DC has largely focused on their biggest franchises, and the biggest heroes in those franchises, while secondary IP's languish. I mean, we've got stuff like Strange Adventures and Swamp Thing, but maybe we usually have more books staring lesser known guys than we do right now? Seems like DC might be fixing that, with Blue & Gold and a few other books that have yet to hit the shelves, but at the moment it does feel like DC's bench isn't as deep as it should be.

Maybe its the lack of Aquaman, Arrow, JSA, (proper) Titans? But its not uncommon for those books to take long breaks either, so....?

I feel like the DCU is closer to what it should be than it's been in years, but it still feels....thin?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    6 out of 10.

I have a theory on this....and I am hoping I am correct.

I think once COVID is behind us, and the economy and comic shops are opened back up....DC will start releasing other big name titles, Green Arrow, JSA, Aquaman ect.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    . . . Maybe its the lack of Aquaman, Arrow, JSA, (proper) Titans? But its not uncommon for those books to take long breaks either, so....?
    The Justice Society of America were featured in All Star Comics from 1940 to 1950, then again from late 1975 to 1978.
    After that, it took until 1991 before they had their own self-titled book (an 8-issue mini-series), followed by a ten-issue series that ran from 1992-1993. It wasn't until 1999 that they got their own series again, and the last Justice Society of America ended in 2011.

Green Arrow didn't get his own self-title series until 1983, and that was a four-issue mini-series. 1988 was when his first regular on-going series began.

So it's not as if those two franchises haven't gone for longer periods of time without their own books.

Then you really are part of the problem then. No company is going to please everyone. Only entitled fans think otherwise. I'll do comics MY way and you do comics your way. Is there a block button by any chance?

Edit: Found it.
    Last edited by atomicskull; 04-26-2021 at 09:31 PM.

The Justice Society of America were featured in All Star Comics from 1940 to 1950, then again from late 1975 to 1978.
    After that, it took until 1991 before they had their own self-titled book (an 8-issue mini-series), followed by a ten-issue series that ran from 1992-1993. It wasn't until 1999 that they got their own series again, and the last Justice Society of America ended in 2011.

Green Arrow didn't get his own self-title series until 1983, and that was a four-issue mini-series. 1988 was when his first regular on-going series began.

So it's not as if those two franchises haven't gone for longer periods of time without their own books.
    Kinda surprised that Green Arrow got the ongoing so late in his career.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Yep! All of this. Especially when floppies are almost $4-$5 a pop now, no thanks.
    I get the feeling neither of you are big on digital, but DCU Infinite is a good way to see which recent books will catch your interest for a relatively cheap price point. Something to consider if you want to sample a lot of books and not invest upwards of $20.

And if nothing fits your taste, I know they have lots of old classics to make your $8 well-spent for the month. Hell, until they finally print the Starman compendiums it's the only cost effective way to read that run these days.

I promise they don't pay me to plug the service.

Sure, but both arguably became staples of most of the readership's vision of DCU. A DC without Aquaman, GA/BC and the JSA feels incomplete to me personally.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicskull View Post
    A lot of you people fair with their rating. Giving DC a 3 simply b/c there's one or a few characters that aren't being used is a personal problem, learn to broaden your taste a little bit. Make an effort. Firestorm is one of my favorite characters ever. But am i going to give DC a 2 b/c he's not appearing in any books? God no! My interests are very broad.
    Once again you're making a very broad assumption about other people's ratings based on your own preferences. You assume that if people disagree with your assessment then they lack your apparent "broad taste" and therefore suffer from some "personal problem".

I sample a lot of DC books and find that currently none of them hold my interest. It's got nothing to do with a lack of broad taste as my interest in DC characters extends to their superhero, supernatural, western, fantasy, sci-fi and war characters and includes everything from A-listers to Z-listers.