Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by atomicskull View Post
    DC will never give Vixen her proper due. Why don't they just sell her or something?
    I sometimes wonder how Image would treat Vixen if she was one of their characters. I wouldn't trust Marvel to handle her, since they have a hard time giving Storm her due.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

DC will never give Vixen her proper due. Why don't they just sell her or something?
    DC generally treats everything like that creative who has a billion ideas on the backburner but never gets around to them.

"I have this great idea about a supermodel superhero and it's going to knock your socks off when I finally get to it."

Five decades later.

"Ayo what about Vixen?"

"We did that animated movie but we got plans."

Five more decades later.

"Ayo, on his deathbed grandad said something about you guys having a supermodel superhero. What's up with that?"

"There are plans."

Three in a row is just too much, especially after they announced Secret Files.

That said, Kate Kane has more reason to be featured in an anthology, that most thought exists to spotlight underused characters, than half of the other characters.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    I've been waiting for the Vixen issues to come out in trade, but it looks like they are waiting to collect more than just her issues in the upcoming trade, which bugs me. It bugs me that in order to get some more Vixen material in trade form, I'm going to also be buying stories about other characters I don't care anything about, like Constantine, Robin, Red Hood and Batwoman.
    Hard to put out a Vixen trade if there are no Issues. As in plural. Vixen is only featured in Truth & Justice #1.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    DC generally treats everything like that creative who has a billion ideas on the backburner but never gets around to them.

"I have this great idea about a supermodel superhero and it's going to knock your socks off when I finally get to it."

Five decades later.

"Ayo what about Vixen?"

"We did that animated movie but we got plans."

Five more decades later.

"Ayo, on his deathbed grandad said something about you guys having a supermodel superhero. What's up with that?"

"There are plans."
    This is very sad. If one were to do a movie about Vixen, they'd have to take a lot of liberties since she doesn't have any source material to her name. Solo source material.

Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    Hard to put out a Vixen trade if there are no Issues. As in plural. Vixen is only featured in Truth & Justice #1.
    Then DC should have allowed the writers to tell longer stories for these characters, thus being able to have these characters have their own trade paperbacks instead of making the writers tell shorter stories with these characters and then collecting all those short stories in an anthology trade. Unless a person is extremely lucky, he or she is not going to like all of the characters featured in an anthology trade like this, which means we'll be shelling out money for characters we may not enjoy just to get to the ones that we do enjoy.

I think DC could have approached "Truth and Justice" better.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

This is very sad. If one were to do a movie about Vixen, they'd have to take a lot of liberties since she doesn't have any source material to her name. Solo source material.
    That's how DC has been historically. They "reserve" characters. It's why Deadshot had to die on Arrow-- Manganello was going to play him in a movie that never happened.

It's starting to break up, hence Superman & Lois, but we'll see if Vixen gets to show up anywhere. Meltzer was the last time I remember her on the main team and he revealed at a con it's because Benes wanted to draw her.

Astonishing Member

It is absolutely clear that the problem is mostly not in DC themselves, the problem is in a huge part of the audience, which only buys Bat-titles. Round Robin is the most recent example of this, even if the Superman title flew out of there, let alone the Blue Beetle, Vixen or, I don't know, Firestorm or Question.
    It's annoying, but I can't blame them either, the consumer votes with money in favor of a particular character.

Astonishing Member

While Batwoman being here makes perfect sense, and while Red Hood is extremely pushing it (I know it's unlikely we'll ever get Lobdell's magic back into Jason's life, but they need to just give Jason his ongoing back already), I do agree that Damian really shouldn't have a story here, considering he actually has his own ongoing.

Extraordinary Member

Honestly I think the creators are probably just picking the characters they want to write about. And that this book is not about underused characters should have been clear when the second story was staring superman.

The concept of the boo seems to me to be that you have diverse writer and let him write some story that features a diverse character.

The first 4 writers were afaik all black and each of the stories had some black character in an important role.

I guess the writer ob Batwoman is LGBT (at least she won a GLAAD Award).

And I wouldn't be surprised if the writer on the Robin story is a middle eastern decent.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

I thought the point of the book was for a variety of characters but so far it's the same faces in other books. Vixen was the only one true to the statement.

Yeah I am upset, why are the Batfamily characters here when there are already plenty of other books starring them? If they must be here at least break up their appearances so it’s not just one after the other.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Honestly I think the creators are probably just picking the characters they want to write about. And that this book is not about underused characters should have been clear when the second story was staring superman.

The concept of the boo seems to me to be that you have diverse writer and let him write some story that features a diverse character.

The first 4 writers were afaik all black and each of the stories had some black character in an important role.

I guess the writer ob Batwoman is LGBT (at least she won a GLAAD Award).

And I wouldn't be surprised if the writer on the Robin story is a middle eastern decent.
    Yeah, I don't assume this is a case of DC forcing writers to write Bat-Characters but they ask a creator and they pick what character they want to write.

(At least I assume).

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Well, I can't blame anyone who thought this anthology series would only be focusing on underused characters when there were articles from web sites like comicsbeat.com that said stuff like "At least, that’s how it looks at launch. Truth and Justice will debut digital-only on January 8, with the first of three $.99 weekly stories. Those stories will then be collected in a 40-page print edition available February 16. So, that’s the format. The other main quality of this book is that it looks like it will focus on DC’s less-heralded deep bench characters, while giving rising creators a chance to write them."

https://www.comicsbeat.com/dc-truth-...hology-series/

While other sites like screenrant.com were saying things like "DC Comics has announced a new digital-first anthology series titled Truth & Justice, set to feature some of the company’s greatest characters paired with up and coming talent" and "The publisher expanded the DC Digital First program further earlier this year, offering readers new stories daily featuring some of their most popular characters, and now DC takes it to the next level with Truth & Justice."

https://screenrant.com/dc-comic-trut...vixen-digital/

And cbr.com said this about the series: "The series will serve as a platform for new, emerging storytellers to reveal their takes on popular DC characters..." and "Subsequent installments of Truth & Justice will showcase the wide-ranging characters featured across DC's Multiverse."

https://www.cbr.com/vixen-truth-just...hology-series/

If people were getting their information about this anthology series from different sources that were saying slightly different things, I can understand why there would have been confusion about which characters were going to be featured.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, I don't assume this is a case of DC forcing writers to write Bat-Characters but they ask a creator and they pick what character they want to write.

(At least I assume).
    Yeah, but couldn't DC at some point say "What characters would you like to write OTHER THAN Batman and Superman characters?" ESPECIALLY when there have been writers who have wanted to write Batman or other popular characters and they were told "NO" for whatever reason.

And I know there are times when DC or even Marvel editorial will suggest certain characters for the writers to use, even if the writers are reluctant to do so. I wish editorial would do that more often instead of saying "Sure" to everyone who wants to stick Bat characters in a book that is not a Batman-related book.

And I've always felt that DC makes enough money off of Batman as it is that they don't need to stick him or his supporting characters in just about every book they put out. I've always felt that they should take a lot of that money and invest it in other less popular characters. This would NOT stop them from still making a whole bunch of money by publishing Batman books.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    Yeah, but couldn't DC at some point say "What characters would you like to write OTHER THAN Batman and Superman characters?" ESPECIALLY when there have been writers who have wanted to write Batman or other popular characters and they were told "NO" for whatever reason.

And I know there are times when DC or even Marvel editorial will suggest certain characters for the writers to use, even if the writers are reluctant to do so. I wish editorial would do that more often instead of saying "Sure" to everyone who wants to stick Bat characters in a book that is not a Batman-related book.

And I've always felt that DC makes enough money off of Batman as it is that they don't need to stick him or his supporting characters in just about every book they put out. I've always felt that they should take a lot of that money and invest it in other less popular characters. This would NOT stop them from still making a whole bunch of money by publishing Batman books.
    I get that, but just on the level of creator freedom I would assume they probably wouldn't turn down a pitch for a roundabout anthology series, even if it were for Bat-Characters.

At least that's my take on it.