Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Wow. I was expecting this to be good but I didn't think I'd get THIS hooked by the first issue. And the art is just so....YES!

Damn, between this and Nightwing, today was a good day for comics.

Good first issue but I think it was a mistake to tell Virgil’s origin in that Milestone #0 one shot rather than here. Maybe they should’ve just included the Static portions in here as well as a precursor or back up matter. Book is drawing on a mix of the cartoon and classic Static, and I think it works well.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Absolutely fantastic first issue. I loved everything about it from the writing and damn sure the art.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Good first issue but I think it was a mistake to tell Virgil’s origin in that Milestone #0 one shot rather than here. Maybe they should’ve just included the Static portions in here as well as a precursor or back up matter. Book is drawing on a mix of the cartoon and classic Static, and I think it works well.
    Remember that Milestone One Shot was made years ago and I think in most cases folks know Static's origin.

I won't get to read the book until tomorrow but I did get one of those Thank You Variants copies for under $70. I couldn't wait 5 days for my bid to survive on Ebay-now that a certain website has told everybody about that variant that should be MAYBE 2000 copies.

Extraordinary Member

I want an anime of this

Favorite pilot issue in a loooooong time! Ayala's dialogue felt really natural and I appreciate how this seamless flows off the Milestone story, I was really worried they'd burn an issue recreating or retelling that origin. obviously NDI stole the show here. his art was so expressive, it elevated the issue with its impeccable visual storytelling. the action is so slick and dynamic, this is undeniably the most badass version of Virgil we've seen. what I love about manga is how great the style is with depicting dynamic action scenes as opposed to how static western comics typically are, so I'm beyond elated that he's brought that energy to Static. much as I appreciate and looking forward to what Ayala is bringing with this first season, I'm really looking forward to the day we get to see NDI get a shot writing and art. we may have a legitimately iconic run on our hands and I definitely can see Static getting an animated series on this style if this run continues to be this compelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I can see that complaint but only from a floppies perspective. it's looking like DC is wisening up and playing to trades tho, so I think it was smart using the Milestone Returns #0 to get the origin out the way and hit the ground running with his series since that can just add The Big Bang to the beginning of the trade.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Really good first issue. Definitely captured Virgil’s personality and it’s a great introduction to new readers. It took literally decades but it looks like we may finally have another good Static comic.

I just hope they give us a better explanation as to why the experimental tear gas turned the kids into metas/mutants. “It wasn’t fully tested yet” isn’t a good explanation. Why was the gas laced with mutagenic material in the first place?!? Hopefully the Hardware book goes further into its development.

First issue was dope, it felt like it took forever to get here but I wish Nik and Vita nothing but luck. I'm really interested in seeing how much they're going to pull from the show and the og comics. I want them to really dig into the big bang, like the poster above me said "it wasn't tested" isn't enough. They can take that story in so many directions. I absolutely love the art in this, something about it is very fluid, it's like i'm reading a tv show. They did a very good job with the character designs as well, every character feels truly unique. I enjoyed the end fight as well, I feel really bad for the Hawkins family since their house was burned down.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

I liked the issue. But I think it was a bad decision to have the actual origin happen in another book.
    If you're a new reader picking up the first issue of a book called Static Season One, you'd expect it to be a clean start to the story. Instead, there's a reference about another comic in the book's first page
    It's a great read if you've read Milestone Returns #0, but I don't see why a new reader would be invested in the story without the whole context or they'd even understand what's the deal between Static and Hotstreak. In the very least, they should have reprinted the Static pages of Milestone Returns #0 here too.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I liked the issue. But I think it was a bad decision to have the actual origin happen in another book.
    If you're a new reader picking up the first issue of a book called Static Season One, you'd expect it to be a clean start to the story. Instead, there's a reference about another comic in the book's first page
    It's a great read if you've read Milestone Returns #0, but I don't see why a new reader would be invested in the story without the whole context or they'd even understand what's the deal between Static and Hotstreak. In the very least, they should have reprinted the Static pages of Milestone Returns #0 here too.
    I think this issue works as enough of a pull to well and truly entice any new readers curious about that to seek out Milestone Returns #0 as directed, so I don't think it'll be as big or as universal of a turn off as you and a couple others imply it could or will be.

Plus, as was also mentioned, them starting the ground running means we can get into the meat of the story and really get into these characters heads and have fun and stuff without having to re-spend an entire issue on setup that was already deftly handled in the issue #0. This means more time is spent on the story that's being told now and making it the best it can be, which is all the better to insure there will be many more to come. (We only have 6 issues, so having had a "free" issue #0 to tell Virgil's basic origins is a huge narrative-bandwidth-saving blessing.)
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 06-16-2021 at 09:48 AM.

This was an excellent start. Though I have to say, I’m shocked Virgil took this big of an L in only the first issue.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    This was an excellent start. Though I have to say, I’m shocked Virgil took this big of an L in only the first issue.
    He took one in the first issue of the original series.

And in that case it was more of him realizing Hotstreak was the main kid bullying him.

Then in the abortion known as New 52 Static Shock-his arm got cut off.

If we MUST count Terror Titans-he put Rose in her place and then got sedated because no one could control him.

Incredible Member Unspeakable Evil's Avatar

Good issue. But definitely a sad cliffhanger for Virgil and his family. I am curious how many characters are gonna know about his powers. Not sure if his family really saw what happened but his friends did.

I thought this was out next month, I’m glad my friend corrected me. Everything about this was great and I’m just glad to have Vergil back in my life.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Excellent first issue. The pacing was smooth and the art was dope!

Ugh... if two people are in a fight, don't hold one of them back... Virgil takes a really big loss here and gets taught a lesson on why having a secret identity is important.

I'm really excited about this series.
    Success is not counted by how high you have climbed but by how many people you brought with you. – Dr Wil Rose