Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

They already did with the first Ant-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    Some other rogues like Talon, Kangor, and Shiv would be great too.
    Also, Aquamaria, Heavy Man and since they are foreshadowing Ebon, I hope they bring in Rubberband Man as well.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    I, conversely, loved how Richie's relationship to Virgil/Static grew and evolved from only being the emotional support who could only support indirectly from behind the scenes into someone who could partner alongside Static proper and expand the scope of support to include more direct forms. I loved that. And I think it was all done superbly well; I never felt or worried that Richie-as-Gear could or would take focus away from Virgil-as-Static.

And in fact, I felt it was done so well that I became of the opinion that a number of other shows and series of similar style and genre (before and after Static Shock) could have been taking notes.
    I think part of it is reflecting on the show in a post-CW world where the protagonists get split up piecemeal to create roles for other actors and making the title character feel diluted that sour the idea of giving Static a teammate to me. It doesn't help that Richie's costume looked like he tripped in the Back to School aisle at Target and showed up to floor hockey practice that makes him feel too far out of his depth to not be a liability. Unlike Robin, there's no pretense of intense training from a mentor. Richie in the field just feels like he steals focus from Virgil with no significant payoff.

Richie is great as Virgil's best friend and tether to his social life. Between his dad/sister for his home life and Freida/Daisy for his love life, Virgil has a pretty strong cast of characters and I see no great reason to mix that up with a discount Blue Beetle. But it's just my admittedly awful opinion.

The writing on Static was leagues above any CW show. Richie going from Virgil's best friend to confidant to becoming a hero himself was one of the most natural, organic developments in any superhero show.

Extraordinary Member

Ugh I know. Especially since Marvel just beat DC to the punch with having legacy heroes on film with Sam becoming Captain America.
    Steve is now an old man and Sam was a sidekick, but an adult

DC is afraid of Bruce getting old

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    The writing on Static was leagues above any CW show. Richie going from Virgil's best friend to confidant to becoming a hero himself was one of the most natural, organic developments in any superhero show.
    I only ever saw the first and possibly second season as a kid and the rest only after I'd become familiar with the CW. I'm not sure if that'd change my opinion on Richie suiting up, but it is what it is.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Which Jason do you mean?
    Jason Rusch

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I think part of it is reflecting on the show in a post-CW world where the protagonists get split up piecemeal to create roles for other actors and making the title character feel diluted that sour the idea of giving Static a teammate to me. It doesn't help that Richie's costume looked like he tripped in the Back to School aisle at Target and showed up to floor hockey practice that makes him feel too far out of his depth to not be a liability. Unlike Robin, there's no pretense of intense training from a mentor. Richie in the field just feels like he steals focus from Virgil with no significant payoff.

Richie is great as Virgil's best friend and tether to his social life. Between his dad/sister for his home life and Freida/Daisy for his love life, Virgil has a pretty strong cast of characters and I see no great reason to mix that up with a discount Blue Beetle. But it's just my admittedly awful opinion.
    While I have various levels of fondness and respect for some of the CW DC shows, John Venus has the idea.

Richie's character progression and transformation really was done well. And as I said before, many similar cartoons/comics/etc. with similar/relatable set-ups that I've come by before and since really could/should have taken notes, because Static Shock and its creative team knew what they were doing. Gear's intro into Static's life fit, and that's due to the transition from Richie -> Gear being a natural and organic evolution. Static Shock's creative team really do make it make sense in-context.

And a bit bluntly, imagining Gear to be a discount Blue Beetle (presuming you mean Jaime, who Gear predates) is definitely an unfair reaction. Same for the random jab at Gear's look.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Jason Rusch
    Thank you.

When part of me tried guessing which Jason would make the most general sense with the given context, Jason Rusch did come to mind. But I really couldn't be sure, so that why I asked. (DC has a lot of Jasons.)

Ultimate Member

Remember that show had battle with the network.

First the network wanted a white Static.
    Then Static with no father.
    It is interesting Frieda took a backseat on the show and Richie was the sidekick. It was reversed in the comic.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Remember that show had battle with the network.

First the network wanted a white Static.
    Then Static with no father.
    It is interesting Frieda took a backseat on the show and Richie was the sidekick. It was reversed in the comic.
    And apparently, the network is the reason why Static’s mom is dead in the show.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

And apparently, the network is the reason why Static’s mom is dead in the show.
    ...wait really? How come?

You can say that again, granted it is a very low bar.
    Last edited by Celgress; 04-27-2021 at 04:41 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I heard that Static's toyline not selling well was part of the reason why it was cancelled but TPTB didn't give Static's toyline a fair shot either.

This is my first time hearing about their other interference.

I heard that Static's toyline not selling well was part of the reason why it was cancelled but TPTB didn't give Static's toyline a fair shot either.

This is my first time hearing about their other interference.
    There was no toy line.

That sucks. I hope the movie does better with merchandising.