Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Spectacular Member oneveryfineday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    The Silver Age comics were more like a demented sitcom with a neurotic God-like alien prankster as the star.
    I laughed at this more than I should, but yes, I heartily agree XD I also have a weird sense of humor so maybe I shouldn’t enthusiastically recommend SA Supes to anyone looking for a “proper” Superman story

Is there anyone on these boards who likes the Silver Age?

Standing Member

Quote Originally Posted by oneveryfineday View Post
    I laughed at this more than I should, but yes, I heartily agree XD I also have a weird sense of humor so maybe I shouldn’t enthusiastically recommend SA Supes to anyone looking for a “proper” Superman story

The way you put the question suggests that there's someone would not like these comics.

Classic comics were like going to the circus--or maybe watching THE ED SULLIVAN SHOW. You opened the comic book and it would present various forms of entertainment. If you didn't like one act--not to worry--there was always another act coming up that might be what you're in the mood for.
    🇨🇦
    [Exit, pursued
    by a bear.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I don't know if I think the post-Crisis writers and arcs and storylines were better, but those teams were phenomenal at balancing

I don't always think their version of Clark/Superman himself is the best, frankly. It got better as time went on, but there's a while there where I'm going "jeez, can he please be a little smarter, more competent, more progressive?" But that balance of the expanded cast of Metropolis, its aesthetic, the Planet, including several of the characters' professional lives, with the science fiction action adventures of Superman, is undeniably a highwater mark for the franchise!

Plus the Simonson and Bogdanove team is definitely in my top five favorite writer / artist collaborators in the history of the character!

Maybe top three, heck.
    People are still writing about Superman as a "Christ like savior" as of this month, so I miss him being "a quarterback with powers." Mainly the guy Byrne did create but with the growth as a character after Byrne left, with his ratio of human interest and superheroics split down the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Not that the writters weren't solid,but I'd echo others here in that the editorial team over the late 90s (Mike Carlin and Joey Calveri) were highly competent editors who were collaborative with their writers. I'd even put Eddie Berganza's early run with Jeph Loeb and Joe Kelly in that category up until around "Our Worlds At War."
    It's weird that those creators came in as Berganza did, so it's not like they made him good. But boy was he better with the Reloaded group than after.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I don't remember that from SECRET ORIGIN (but I wasn't able to find all the issues at my local shop at the time, so), but I do remember, I think, seeing Steve Lombard in the ACTION COMICS run. That got me excited, not much came of that. And as always with Geoff Johns, he chose to ignore what other writers had done with the character. Steve was supposed to be like Broadway Joe Namath, a guy who had been a great football quarterback who then became a sportscaster. The Johns Lombard didn't seem like he'd ever been a great athlete, or had the heroic nature of Steve Lombard. Yes, Lombard was a jerk, but he had other admirable qualities. And I believe the Johns version was balding.

Were there other characters from 1970s Metropolis--Clark's neighbours, people he knew in the city, co-workers, T.V. personalities--that Johns used? Or people from Smallville?
    Johns is great at working in easter eggs, but they have that Cliff notes approach to them.

Quote Originally Posted by oneveryfineday View Post

I guess it's my least favorite. Like I enjoy the focus on comedy but most of the time don't actually like the comedy. Siegel had some great stories and the newspapers did a great job as an outlet for both his sophisticated voice and utilizing others like him, but the comics themselves are more fun for ideas than for stories. It wasn't exactly Herbie Popnecker.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Standing Member

The period between about 1957 and 1967 has more ideas than just about any other time in Superman history. They are the source for so much that's been revived ever since.

I think you guys just are reading the wrong anthologies. The variety is wide. I could easily find tragic dramas, farflung adventures, zany absurdist post-modernist fables, weepy romances, screwball comedies, surreal imaginary fantasies, and good old fashioned super-hero vs. super-villain action. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    🇨🇦
    [Exit, pursued
    by a bear.