Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 79
  1. #46
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    9,378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It’s just part of the Humans Are Special trope where anything mixed with a human is typically MORE powerful somehow.
    Chances seem good that it doesn't have to do with that. PKJ has alluded to it likely being more than that.

    And as shown in House of El with The Red King (Jon's half brother and also a hybrid) who assumed he'd be more powerful than Clark, it takes more than just good genetics to have what Jon apparently has in terms of power.

    ________

    It actually just hit me that PKJ kept saying that Jon owes his powers and status to Clark. So what if this "X factor" with his powers that doesn't seem to be inherited is how they give Jon something of his own that he didn't get from Clark. So the thing that makes him so crazy strong isn't just something passed down from his mom and dad.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!"

    - The Digger

    We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

  2. #47
    Spectacular Member The Frog Bros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Chances seem good that it doesn't have to do with that. PKJ has alluded to it likely being more than that.

    And as shown in House of El with The Red King (Jon's half brother and also a hybrid) who assumed he'd be more powerful than Clark, it takes more than just good genetics to have what Jon apparently has in terms of power.

    ________

    It actually just hit me that PKJ kept saying that Jon owes his powers and status to Clark. So what if this "X factor" with his powers that doesn't seem to be inherited is how they give Jon something of his own that he didn't get from Clark. So the thing that makes him so crazy strong isn't just something passed down from his mom and dad.
    Apologies if this has been brought up before, but it could be tied to when he was trapped on Earth 3. I seem to recall interviews where they said that Jon's backstory and recent history had a lot of opportunities to explain in greater depth. Of course, it could also be a big fat nothing burger and have nothing to do with that. But the idea of some external factor contributing to his power boost seems pretty plausible.
    "There is nothing quite so perfect as the exact way in which comics combine the word and image." --Alan Moore
    "Before it was a Bomb, the Bomb was an Idea. Superman, however, was a Faster, Stronger, Better Idea." --Grant Morrison

  3. #48
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    9,378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    Apologies if this has been brought up before, but it could be tied to when he was trapped on Earth 3. I seem to recall interviews where they said that Jon's backstory and recent history had a lot of opportunities to explain in greater depth. Of course, it could also be a big fat nothing burger and have nothing to do with that. But the idea of some external factor contributing to his power boost seems pretty plausible.
    No need to apologize. Information's going all over the place on this stuff.

    From what we're hearing it may go back future than that because PKJ brought up that Batman had this theory on Jon long before he went to Earth-3.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!"

    - The Digger

    We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

  4. #49
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    7,056

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    I would expect that to be the case but I think we've already seen him under these effects before Bendis in Tomasi's Super Sons.
    I was allergic to ragweed when I was in my adolescence, but it has no effect on me now. Perhaps Jon will become more and more resistant to Kryptonite as he got older, similar to his father in Kingdom Come but at an accelerated pace

  5. #50
    Mighty Member Ra-El's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    1,913

    Default

    So Clark is losing power, and Jon is getting stronger, any chance Jon is borrowing Clark's power? Probably not, it would be too much meta.

  6. #51
    Extraordinary Member sifighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,836

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    So Clark is losing power, and Jon is getting stronger, any chance Jon is borrowing Clark's power? Probably not, it would be too much meta.
    My assumption is that it’s the anti-life equation from Death Metal that really screwed Clark up, because through the entire event he practically fought off the infection and it only randomly went away after the fight in the final issue.

    I mean come on Darkseid nearly turned him into Superseid, I doubt that’s something that doesn’t just go away without leaving something behind.


    Last edited by sifighter; 04-30-2021 at 09:26 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

  7. #52
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    6,073

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I was allergic to ragweed when I was in my adolescence, but it has no effect on me now. Perhaps Jon will become more and more resistant to Kryptonite as he got older, similar to his father in Kingdom Come but at an accelerated pace
    I do love the idea of Jon being weaker than Clark overall but not being vulnerable to Kyrptonite. Of course they won't go that rout, but I can dream.

  8. #53
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    So Clark is losing power, and Jon is getting stronger, any chance Jon is borrowing Clark's power? Probably not, it would be too much meta.

    Hey that's kind of interesting about possibly Jon borrowing Clark's power , had not thought of that.
    Still one thing that no one talks about , what did Jor-El do to Jon in their travels ?

    I still don't buy it, that a half Kryptonian would be more powerful than an adult 100% Kryptonian , and that includes Kara too.

  9. #54
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    24

    Default

    I agree 100% , it makes no sense for Jon to be more powerful than his father & even Kara .
    It would be a better story, if he was not as strong and had to use other ways to fight.
    But who knows if Jor-El did something to Jon to enhance his power ?

    Actually would like to see Jor-El make an appearance at some time.

  10. #55
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    9,378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheKryptonMan View Post
    I agree 100% , it makes no sense for Jon to be more powerful than his father & even Kara .
    It would be a better story, if he was not as strong and had to use other ways to fight.
    But who knows if Jor-El did something to Jon to enhance his power ?

    Actually would like to see Jor-El make an appearance at some time.
    But, again, the strong implication here is that it has nothing to do with him being a hybrid, but rather it has to do with some "X factor" that's unique to him apart from his genetics.

    This is shown in House of El where we see the Red King (Clark's other son, and Jon's hybrid half brother) get humbled by Clark even after being assured by his mother that he'd be more powerful than Clark. Had it just been about being a hybrid then the Red King would've beaten Clark senseless since he was a full grown man, and Jon's already showing signs of being more powerful than Clark even at just 17 (and was already projected to be more powerful than him at 10).
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!"

    - The Digger

    We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

  11. #56
    Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    13,215

    Default

    Being the most powerful means that, down the line, Jon will become everyone's punching bag instead of his dad, right?

  12. #57
    Extraordinary Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    9,990

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Being the most powerful means that, down the line, Jon will become everyone's punching bag instead of his dad, right?
    If he’s taking his dad’s spot on the League that means he’ll get to be the team jobber just like his old man
    For when my rants on the forums just arenít enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

  13. #58
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    6,865

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Itís just part of the Humans Are Special trope where anything mixed with a human is typically MORE powerful somehow.
    Is that why krillin,tien,...etc a green alien all got left in the dust as the saiyans reached full potential?That might be troupe but it's not in dbz.Humans are humans.
    "I swear to devote my life to the destruction of piracy, greed, cruelty and injustice! And my sons, and their sons, shall follow me!"

  14. #59
    Extraordinary Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    9,990

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Is that why krillin,tien,...etc a green alien all got left in the dust as the saiyans reached full potential?That might be troupe but it's not in dbz.Humans are humans.
    Pretty selective memory you’ve got there. Gohan was said to be able to be more powerful than his dad, and could reach SS2 when Goku couldn’t purely because of his hybrid nature. They walked that back when they realized nobody wanted Gohan to replace his dad (heh that feels relevant), but at the time Gohan being more powerful than his dad was very much because of his human DNA.

    But it’s a trope because it appears widely throughout fiction. That’s what a trope is. Since the stories are written by humans and for humans, humans get special treatment.
    For when my rants on the forums just arenít enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

  15. #60
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    6,865

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Pretty selective memory you’ve got there. Gohan was said to be able to be more powerful than his dad, and could reach SS2 when Goku couldn’t purely because of his hybrid nature. They walked that back when they realized nobody wanted Gohan to replace his dad (heh that feels relevant), but at the time Gohan being more powerful than his dad was very much because of his human DNA.
    Not selective at all.Gohan got ss2 because he has more s cells,emotions and potential.Not because he was a hybrid.The kids were able to transform as well.On top of that, the transformation are connected to emotions.Those with greater emotional range have greater capacity.Saiyans were slave warriors.There emotional range is limited to fighting,lust for combat, power and defiance in the face of doom.So broly,gohan..etc are more potential.They get constant zenkai boosts with emotional outbursts.the concept wasn't something that evolved.but it was from goku's transformation as well.goku transformed because rage due to krillin died.
    Vegeta due to desperation,wounded pride and self loathing
    Gohan due to pressure
    Broly due to trauma and sorrow
    Not connected to humans at all.Heck!i would love it if it were.i mean ,my favourite character busts his butt for years only to get beaten with one kick or something.Dbz is wasted on tien, krillin..etc.Toriyama notoriously known for doing that.
    "I swear to devote my life to the destruction of piracy, greed, cruelty and injustice! And my sons, and their sons, shall follow me!"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •