Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Action Comics#1030 Discussion and Spoilers

Alright, so we finally get to see PKJ do some of his world building that he really excel at in his other books like the Last God.
    Sampere's art is really good, I think the art really fit the style of this book.
    Some great depiction of Warworld, the most menacing Warworld in recent history, the dialogue here remind me of the Last God as well.
    The dynamic between Jon and Damian is really well handled, and Jon get into some of his history lessons he learned in the future.
    And Lois Lane showed up, as fans has complained about Lois not being in PKJ's book, she definitely has more scene in this issue.
    The Clark, Jon, Superman thing is also addressed in this issue, where Clark is considering stepping down, and Jon is not exactly ready to step up.
    In PKJ's podcast with AIPT, he mentioned he is creating a sort of new language for the Superman/Action comic book and all these will be leading towards something bigger in the future. Hopefully we can see more of that.

OK, maybe some more spoilers discussion.
    spoilers:
    Someone killed all of Mongul's sons so that they can't be the next Mongul, and this figure revealed that Warworld is older than many previous Mongul thinks, and there is a bigger secret, there is a key far far away.

Clark is losing power due to the energy from the breach and contact with the creatures, so Bruce tells him maybe he should consider having Jon join the League, and Superman is considering that,

Jon and Damien talk about their problems, Jon reveals that he learned in the future that Superman is not recorded in history after this point,
    there are many theories, Superman died in the breach, a war between Atlantis and Warworld, Circe sending Superman to another dimension,
    and Superman dying, a ship of Kryptonian come to take Superman home.

This part is particularly interesting considering the war is in July solicitation, Circe is in House of El book, and the last one maybe alluding to the Kryptonians warlords mentioned in the Future State book?

Lois and Clark had a scene in Kandor library and Lois talked about Kryptonian history, this is when Superman must try and stop a bunch of Warworld spaceship, but Clark heard someone speaking a old language, and he found out that the ships were chasing a ship,
    and those passengers on that ship are speaking ancient Kryptonian language.

I assume these are Kryptonian survivors who were slaves on Warworld, and this also means Warworld's key is on Earth,
    maybe in Atlantis.

This is really interesting because there are many new plot threads.
    end of spoilers

What are your thoughts?

Honestly it’s probably Johnson’s best issue of Superman so far, it’s very much focused on what Clark and Lois are up to, it sets up interesting world building, and really seems like the start of a big epic concerning war world.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Did anyone else get deja vu of the final days of superman storyline from the new 52 reading this? It reminded me a lot of when they were telling that Clark he was about to die.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Honestly it’s probably Johnson’s best issue of Superman so far, it’s very much focused on what Clark and Lois are up to, it sets up interesting world building, and really seems like the start of a big epic concerning war world.
    Agreed. I think this is what everyone was hoping for Johnson was announced.

Also, that super sons reunion was great. Excited to see Taylor get his hands on Jon and do some great character work with him.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Did anyone else get deja vu of the final days of superman storyline from the new 52 reading this? It reminded me a lot of when they were telling that Clark he was about to die.

Also, that super sons reunion was great. Excited to see Taylor get his hands on Jon and do some great character work with him.
    I can see where you are coming from with that but it doesn’t 100% match up for me, just because it feels more a power concern then a life concern.

I will say if this is the Superman book to read once Jon takes over in July then I think we are in good hands with Johnson, because who would think to explore the weird legacy of War World and it’s secrets/culture along with a nice bottled Kandor scene.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Great issue. This is what Im talking about. Great art. Great characterization, dialogue and some interesting plots and world building.

Only negative is Jon. I was almost hopeful that we can go a Superman comic with just Superman in it. The building up to pushing Clark aside for Jon is annoying but i knew it was coming. Im almost looking forward to Jon.getting his own book and Clark going off world. Clark wont be in the position I want him to be in but at least Jon wont have to be shoved into everything around him.

With all that a great issue and one of the best from IF so far. Looking forward to what PKJ will do on this series.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Fantastic Member oneveryfineday's Avatar

Stunning artwork by Sampere and Lucas. I hope they get to stay on AC for a long time because their panels are a joy to look at.

The Circe mention caught my attention the most, so it will be interesting to see how she will show up. Does anyone think the hooded figure on Warwold might be the same hooded figure as on the annual cover?

This was solid I wanted to vomit when Jon & the League was mentioned just the thought of Bendis getting his hands on him again is disgusting. Also Jon & Damien together is just not the same
    Last edited by Journey; 04-27-2021 at 08:47 AM.

The Jon and Damian moment started out nice. Damian sounded a little too "casual" in some spots (though nowhere near as bad as when Bendis wrote him) but it still started put nice enough....

And then he kinda ruined at the end by having Damian be another mouthpiece for the whole "You were made to replace your dad! Its your destiny!" Thing. It felt too much like they're reeeeeeally trying to make people accept it by having the line come out of his best friend's mouth. It reminded me too much of that scene in Nightwing where Barbara was practically saying to the audience "Dick is gone and everyone should accept Ric!"

And just...all that aside, that is not something you say to someone while they're worried about their father's mortality. Even if it's true xD

So, all in all, I was hoping to at least enjoy the Super Sons part of this comic but that ended up being what I enjoyed the least. That not so subtle nudge to build up SuperJon was just way too heavy handed for my taste.
    Last edited by Blue22; 04-27-2021 at 09:15 AM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    The Jon and Damian moment started out nice. Damian sounded a little too "casual" in some spots (though nowhere near as bad as when Bendis wrote him) but it still started put nice enough....

And then he kinda ruined at the end by having Damian be another mouthpiece for the whole "You were made to replace your dad! Its your destiny!" Thing. It felt too much like they're reeeeeeally trying to make people accept it by having the line come out of his best friend's mouth. It reminded me too much of that scene in Nightwing where Barbara was practically saying to the audience "Dick is gone and everyone should accept Ric!"

And just...all that aside, that is not something you say to someone while they're worried about their father's mortality. Even if it's true xD

So, all in all, I was hoping to at least enjoy the Super Sons part of this comic but that ended up being what I enjoyed the least. That not so subtle nudge to build up SuperJon was just way too heavy handed for my taste.
    He didn't say that.He says "it's not upto him".That is true.He was superboy.Therefore,he will be superman.it's like asking a baby bird to not fly.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 04-27-2021 at 09:26 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Well, I think it fitted Damian. What with his whole "Destined to be Batman (or Ra's)" mentality, you know ?

Oh I didn't say it was out of character for Damian (depending on exactly when this takes place anyway. After reading the first Robin issue, Damian's attitude about family expectations and predestined fates might have...possibly changed). I just...didn't like it. Still felt like some ham-fisted manipulation on PKJ's part. Again, like the Ric and Barbara scene. Save that convo for after he's become Superman, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    He didn't say that.He says "it's not upto him".That is true.
    I mean, I was obviously paraphrasing there. Didn't think I needed to use his exact words as long as I got the gist of it but okay XD

He was superboy.Therefore,he will be superman.it's like asking a baby bird to not fly.
    Again, I'm not arguing about the truth of what he's saying (though him being Superboy doesn't automatically make him destined to be Superman. Ask Conner how that's working out for him. Him being Clark's son makes it his tragically unavoidable destiny. Not being Superboy). I'm just saying...that wasn't really the best time to have that conversation.
    Last edited by Blue22; 04-27-2021 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I feel the same, major step up from the two parter so far, kinda makes me think he should’ve just started with this month’s Superman and Action issues. Sampere is fantastic on art as expected, Mongul looks cool and intimidating.
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post

Both that and this are drawing from All-Star Superman in that an excess amount of radiation is affecting Clark’s cellular structure negatively. Not surprising considering Morrison’s involvement.

Gotta tip my hat to Superlad though, everything he predicted seems to have been right on the mark:
    spoilers:
    Kryptonian refugees and Jon being talked about for the Justice League
    end of spoilers do indeed seem to be where PKJ is going with this. All the little worldbuilding tidbits make me think that Warworld and Krypton are going to be tied together in some way, perhaps it’s even Kryptonian built. Don’t think we’ve ever gotten specifics on its origin beyond “a really old race built it and they’re gone”.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Again, I'm not arguing about the truth of what he's saying (though him being Superboy doesn't automatically make him destined to be Superman. Ask Conner how that's working out for him. Him being Clark's son makes it his tragically unavoidable destiny. Not being Superboy). I'm just saying...that wasn't really the best time to have that conversation.
    It does.Since as i said, superboy was superman as kid.Unlike kid flash or robin or whatever. Considering there have only been clark and conner.Clark is superman. Conner was more into "Don't call me Superboy! I'm the Metropolis Kid!" wink!wink!.how is it working out for conner?Kenan's superman.Conner can be.The only reason he ain't is because he is part of postcrisis interpretation of these titles.Where superboy was treated as cast of superman or titans.Even then conner was far independant and never superman's apprentice or adopted son or anything.He's treated like a brother at best.With house of el interpretation,i am sure conner will be a superman.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Incredible Member

Liked the issue. Definitely PKJ's best in normal continuity so far, both in writing and art (some great work from Sampere here). Starting scene with Mongul was a perfect showcase of how everyone around the new Mongul may fear him, but they don't respect him at all. It's still keeping him in the territory of "inferior version of Darkseid", but hopefully PKJ'll be able to do something else with him.

Bruce not-so-subtly freaking out over Clark losing power while Clark himself is perfectly chill about it was great (and that punch was great too). The Super-sons reunion... wasn't quite as good. Damian's initial reactions were weird, there was a certain disconnect between his dialogue and his facial expressions, and while he's arguably the perfect choice to tell Jon that it's not up to him whether he replaces his father or not... yeah, that was a clear example of using an established character and dynamic to shill the new direction. Jon describing what future records of the current story and making them sound nearly biblical ("Superman was poisoned in his final fight and right before he died, his people came from the stars and took him home") and then seeing they're literally accurate but give the wrong impression.

Lois' scene was great. Her narration on Kryptonian culture was a great showcase of being in awe not from seeing the unknown but from understanding the previously unknown, and "the search for meaning in every pursuit defining Kryptonian culture" was a great moment. Lois not addressing whether she's fine with Jon replacing Clark in the League was an interesting choice, and her confidence that Clark can handle whatever he's currently going through was good too. And finally, going from the very beautiful and very dead ruins of former Kryptonian culture to the very brutal situation of the very alive current "Kryptonians" was also a great idea.

The Midnighter back-up was pretty good. Going into every single "transhuman-enthusiast villain" cliche out there, but I felt it fit for Midnighter.

I literally just woke up, but the second I opened social media, someone posted the Jon and Damian scene and it was probably one of the most offensive things I've ever read. It was somehow worse than the Bendis Super Sons "reunion" issue in his run and that was a complete load of trash the was just meant to function as Bendis' mouthpiece telling fans they will never get want they want because he is control.

Why is DC so hard for Jon to be Superman that they have to literally have to change how characters would act and say just fit their narrative that no one has gotten behind.

I'll come back with a more comprehensive complaint if I'm still in the mood. jfc